iPhone 4 launches in U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Japan to long lines
The iPhone 4 has officially launched in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, and Japan, with customers standing in lengthy lines to get their hands on Apple’s latest handset. iLounge editor Jeremy Horwitz found a substantial group of people waiting to enter the mall and begin queueing outside the Apple Store when he arrived at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo, NY at 5:30 a.m. Our publisher Dennis Lloyd found a similar crowd waiting outside the Apple Store in Costa Mesa, CA, and reports from other cities across the U.S. indicate that most Apple Stores have and/or had impressive crowds awaiting the launch. Notably, the line outside Apple’s flagship 5th Avenue store in New York City—which TUAW describes as longer than the lines for the iPhone 3GS or even the iPad’s launch—wraps around a full city block.
Internationally, the Associated Press is reporting that lines “hundreds” of people long were seen outside stores in nearly every country, including outside Apple’s retail stores in the Ginza shopping district of Tokyo, Japan, Regent Street in the U.K., and outside T-Mobile’s flagship store in Berlin and Softbank’s flagship store in Tokyo. The report also relays the story of a French shoe salesman who went to pick up the iPhone 4 on his lunch break only to learn that they were already sold out. “Either I’ll look elsewhere or come back later,” he said.
Update: Four and a half hours after arriving at the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA, iLounge Publisher Dennis Lloyd has yet to enter the Apple Store due to the lengthy reservation line. For customers still waiting, Apple has been providing free Smart Water, coffee, half sandwiches, lemonade, iced tea, and umbrellas for shade.
Costa Mesa, CA
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?