iPhone 5 to sport metal back, sub 4-inch screen | iLounge News

iPhone 5 to sport metal back, sub 4-inch screen

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, August 29, 2011
News Categories: iPhone

The iPhone 5 will sport a metal back and a screen less than four inches in size, according to a new report. Citing sources from panel suppliers, DigiTimes reports that despite recent rumors of the handset featuring a 4.2-inch panel, it will instead feature a screen that’s either the same 3.5-inches as the current model or 3.7-inches, with a thinner bezel to make the screen look larger. The report also claims that the rear of the phone will be changed to metal from the iPhone 4’s current glass design, although no specifics were offered as to what type of metal might be used. [via BGR]

« Stem debuts iZon app-controlled Room Monitor

iLounge Weekly arriving Monday, giveaway reminder »

Comments

Based on all these “reports,” the iPhone 5 will be either be an iPhone “4S” or a totally new design; get released in January, June, September, October, or next year; look like an iPhone 4, a miniature iPad 2, or something completely new; either include or exclude NFC technology; either include radios for all networks or continue to be released as separate GSM and CDMA models; either run on Sprint or not; and now, feature either the same screen or a much larger one.

Glad we cleared that up. Thanks.

Posted by Farnsworth on August 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

PS: My comment above is not a knock against iLounge, they’re just doing their job and reporting the news as it comes in.

I just have to wonder about the extraordinarily self-contradicting nature of all these reports of the iPhone 5.

Posted by Farnsworth on August 29, 2011 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

@Farnsworth

Too funny.  I agree, iLounge has done a good job with all of these “reports” and “leaked” parts and cases.

Posted by DP on August 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

Man I wish they’d make the next iPhone with a 4.3” screen.  That is the only thing I don’t like about the iPhone 4, the small screen.

Posted by Gabe on August 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

The current size is spot-on IMO. Big phones look ridiculous, don’t fit as well in your front pocket, and use more power for a larger display.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on August 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

Agreed, I like the current screen size.  If I want a bigger screen I’ll use my iPad.

Posted by DP on August 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

I fully admit that I’ve been spoiled by my HTC EVO…when I go to Sprint’s iPhone (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease…) I’ll probably suffer screen shock for a short time…but I’m sure I’ll recover quickly. ^_^

Posted by Daniel S. on August 31, 2011 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

I sold my iPhone 4 months ago to get an iPad and went on to purchase a Motorola Atrix 4G to replace it. The new iPhone must be capable of receiving better than 3G speeds on whatever carrier it is released and have at least a 4-inch screen in order for me to go back to iOS.

Posted by Luis on August 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

I love my iPhone 4’s screen, but a larger screen would be nice.  On the other hand, iOS isn’t the same as Android, and I am not sure we would benefit from a larger screen.  A larger screen would mostly be for marketing purposes.  Of course, with notification center, we could fit more on the screen.  Still, its not crucial to have a large screen, like on Android.

Posted by Drew on August 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Am I the only one that has trouble typing on the current IPhone?  I was hoping that v5 would have a larger screen so the scale of the keys would be that much larger.

Posted by WO on September 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Yeah, same here. Typing on my iPhone 4 isn’t as comfortable anymore, a 4’ screen is perfect for the iPhone 5. Anything in between won’t be as good, I hope that Apple doesn’t screw it up.

Posted by Prizzy on September 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

I don’t mind the screen size on my 4. If the display is different on the 5 it would be worth it to me for the up grade. the 4S did not impress me, even with siri which doesn’t work well in a busy network area no matter which carrier you have. But if you are looking for a larger screen, remember bigger generally means bulkier and so well… maybe we should just have phone conversations on our ipads.

Posted by logical on March 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM (PDT)