iPhone app offers 3D views of Earth, Moon, & Sun | iLounge News

iPhone app offers 3D views of Earth, Moon, & Sun

image

iPhone developer Nicolas Solan has released Earth3D, a new application for the iPhone and iPod touch that presents the user with 3D views of the Earth, Moon, and Sun. The application allows users to drag one finger to rotate the Earth; multiple fingers stop and start the rotation of the camera. Earth3D is available now as a free download from the App Store.

« Marware intros Sidewinder Deluxe for iPhone 3G

Sony rolls out new iPhone-ready car stereo, others »

Comments

This app might be great but most of us can’t get the iPhone to stay connected to the Edge and 3G network for these kinds of apps to work.  My iPhone 3G is a great paper weight.

Posted by Bill on August 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I have had my iPhone for 3 weeks now and have never experienced disruptions with the 3G network.  I always been 3G.  The iPhone is hands down the best phone I have ever owned.

Posted by Arman on August 27, 2008 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

I had afew minor issues right now where Apple will send me a brand new 3GiPhone and so far i have to say that i’m loyal to Apple and that the 3GiP is the best device i’ve ever had.

Posted by dennis on August 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

Has anyone tried the app?  Let’s save the 3G issues for the numerous other threads that are on this site.  If it’s free, I may just download it and if it’s lame, just delete it, the price is certainly right.

-Brian

Posted by brianbobcat on August 27, 2008 at 10:43 PM (PDT)

LOL…Bill…I totally jinxed myself.  As of a few hours ago, 3G went down for me and I get no service whatsoever getting or making calls including “No Service” label at the top right corner.  That’s not so good considering I live in downtown Seattle. I switched over to edge and I get all bars….bummer…I feel your pain…literally.

Posted by Arman on August 27, 2008 at 11:28 PM (PDT)

Or you just go outside and look at the Earth, Moon, & Sun.

Posted by batmin on August 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM (PDT)

The app is pretty straight forward and does exactly what they describe in the article.  It’s something I downloaded, played with for 5 minutes and then deleted.

Posted by Ryan on August 28, 2008 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

@batmin, I wouldn’t suggest looking at the sun. I also wouldn’t really recommend going outside.

Posted by Justin Viger on August 28, 2008 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

I noticed that the render of the earth it’s not the same as in the pictures and videos I saw on the Internet, it has the clouds very pixelated and the heigth of the atmosphere is different, anyone have this issue too?

Posted by victor871129 on August 30, 2008 at 4:35 AM (PDT)