iPhone, Apple TV shown at Macworld keynote | iLounge News

iPhone, Apple TV shown at Macworld keynote

image

During his keynote presentation at Macworld Expo today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the long-rumored iPhone to rapturous applause from the large audience in attendance. Jobs also showed off the retail version of the iTV, now called the Apple TV, and revealed other news such as a company name change and the latest iTunes sales.

Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone
Apple TV announced
iTunes Store sells 2b songs, 50m TV shows, 1.3m movies
Apple drops ‘Computer’ from company name
Apple now fourth-largest music reseller in U.S.
Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
iPhone reaction: Press, analysts, competitors and bloggers
Apple’s Jobs: ‘You don’t want your phone to be like a PC’
iLounge Macworld Expo flickr photos
iLounge Apple keynote photo gallery
Macworld Expo 2007 keynote video

« Apple stock soars, smartphone makers sink

Apple posts new iPod+iTunes ads »

Comments

I hope this means a true touchscreen iPod is on its way (in the 30-gig variety, with Flash-based SSD, without phone capability for those of us who are satisfied by our RAZRs for now).

Posted by Jeff Martin on January 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM (CST)

It’s gorgeous!

Posted by ddsd on January 9, 2007 at 4:34 PM (CST)

A mobile phone without UMTS in 2007????
iDiots!

Posted by Max on January 9, 2007 at 4:38 PM (CST)

Yea 4/8 gig storage is too small for me for this to be a mp3 player. It’s a nice phone but I don’t think I’ll be picking this up.

Posted by smp351 on January 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM (CST)

2mp camera? I’d have expected better.

The touch screen is a great idea, but imagine after 5 minutes the screen will be marked all over. Time to squeeze extra $$$ out of the punter and force them to buy cases and/or screen protectors.

Great idea, lousy product in reality.

Posted by delorean on January 9, 2007 at 4:42 PM (CST)

laughable how people lambaste analysts for predictions, and then go ahead and condemn a product (even to the degree of calling it “lousy”) w/o trying, seeing, or even reading an objective review of it from a third party.

w/ that said…unfortunately, I wouldn’t want to walk around w/o all of my music/audiobooks/movies, so until I can get them all on my phone (or maybe even stream them onto the phone), I’ll be sticking with my 60gb ipod.

Posted by OnlyShawn on January 9, 2007 at 4:51 PM (CST)

I couldn’t agree more with some of the post already here.  Sorry Apple I love my 3G iPod and what a new one very bad but I am happy with my current cell phone plan and I don’t want to switch to another cell phone company.

We also know that when you use any cell phone and make lots of calls the batteries die.  But you can snap in an extra battery and off you go.  Is this device going to have user replicable batteries or are we looking at a device where I have to send it back to Apple or service for a new cell phone battery?

For me I would lie Apple to drop the phone from the device and add in a hard drive please.  The average TV show download or rip off my TV is 350/600 Megs.  Eight Gigs in a video player is just not enough for me. I know another company has announced a video player that is also eight Gigs and they say you can put 33 hours of video on it.  While I am sure they wouldn’t lie, I just can’t imagine what the video quality must be like.  It must be cell phone video quality and I am not interested in that.

I very much want to get a new wide screen 60+ gig video iPod.  I hope they come out with it soon as I have to buy my forth replacement battery for my 3G iPod soon.

As for some of the 802.11b/g stuff could be fun to play with but music and videos is what I want at the core of the device.

My 0.02

Posted by bitstop on January 9, 2007 at 5:10 PM (CST)

I like it especially for all the newest features…but not for this price…
Hell, It would have been a slam dunk if the new iPhone had a 120g HDD!

One product…one BIG slammm! Here’s hoping the next iPod makes as big a splash as the new iPhone is expected to?  Anyone know when the next iPod will be announced?

Posted by rkent57 on January 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM (CST)

I’m starting to think that one day Jobs just was like, “gosh, I’d love a new cell phone.” You, you, and you, work on it (pointing at Cingular CEO too).

Posted by anon on January 9, 2007 at 5:50 PM (CST)

You people. Are you not gobsmacked at how completely awesome this phone is? It’s far exceeded my expectations, made me cry a little, and saved me from buying a blackberry. And it plays 8gb of mp3s on top of that. No it won;t replace my 80gb ipod, but it’s a chuffin’ amazing phone.

Posted by Gordon on January 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM (CST)

Is this going to be the death of the iPod??

I am so so getting one when they come out down under. We only got ITMS a few weeks ago… Maybe eBay may have unlocked ones.

Scratches are going to be a big issue though.

Treo etc are going down!

Posted by vectran on January 9, 2007 at 5:57 PM (CST)

Yes, it’s a beautiful device, and the very best of luck to them, but no I won’t be buying one, as it wouldn’t match the functionality of my current devices (Palm Tungsten T5 with TomTom GPS, 3G Phone, iPod mini (ok, it beats that!)). If they produce something in a similar form factor and interface, without the phone but with an 80-100Gb HDD, I’m soooo there.

When are the next scheduled Apple announcements due?

Posted by Phil B on January 9, 2007 at 5:57 PM (CST)

Looks like a SLICK phone, but, a couple changes need to be made before I will buy.  First, it appears to be locked to Cingular.  That’s unacceptable at this price point. Second, it’s GSM.  While GSM is the primary standard in the world and provides the largest possible market, GSM audio sucks!  Call me when an unlocked CDMA version is available and I’ll be interested.

Posted by Tom on January 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM (CST)

You guys complaining about the scratches? Get a screen protector.

You’re complaining about the lack of space or lack of other features? This is not a standalone product . . . it’s like an iPod. It’s a product LINE. I’m sure they are planning better versions of the iPhone for future generations . . . who knows, maybe in five years we’ll see 500GB iPods and 80GB iPhones. You have to evaluate it as a starting point, and it’s a pretty awesome start.

Evaluating this as an MP3 player is looking at it from the wrong perspective. You’re getting fully functional mobile Internet, widgets and more (Safari looked amazing in the keynote). You’re getting a pretty awesome phone as well, and what is essentially a built-in iSight.

I could totally see this as something I would use in addition to my 80GB iPod. Why do you need around 5 days worth of music for one workday? You don’t. I could see myself putting my favorite music on the iPhone, using it during work or school, leaving the iPod at home and saving some real estate in my pocket, and then using the iPod on weekends or road trips.

It seems weird to me that I’m promoting this thing so strongly, especially as I’ve really tried hard to not be the Apple fanboy. I got an iMac for college last fall (my first Apple machine) and definitely see a lot of problems with it, Apple’s proprietary software, hardware and music DRM gets on my nerves, and although I love my iPod it seems like it breaks every two months and I have to go to an Apple Store to get it replaced. Still, I’m finding that there are more good things about Apple than bad things, and this is really an amazing piece of design and technology. Don’t hate.

Posted by JoshSpazJosh on January 9, 2007 at 6:31 PM (CST)

What happened to the iPod announcement?  At the beginning of the keynote, Jeremy said they would be introducing a new widescreen iPod.  I don’t need a phone.  Where’s the damn iPod?

Posted by Dave on January 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM (CST)

I think Apple needs to introduce a lower cost no-frills phone.

The iPhone Shuffle.

You just press a button and it randomly calls a number in your phonebook

Posted by agentparas on January 9, 2007 at 7:27 PM (CST)

For years Apple’s rivals (including Microsoft & SONY) have been trying to come up with an iPod killer.  But it was Apple who came up with the iPod killer “The iPhone”.  It is beautiful.  I saw a demo and the only reservation I have is the price.  Way to go Apple.

Posted by JOG on January 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM (CST)

I know the phone isn’t as loaded or high tech as the current generation of cellphones, but the user interface looks awesome. I’m getting one if they sell them in Asia.
The UI is one of the things I look for in a cellphone and I think a few people would get it, too because it’s easy to use.
Other media players are more high tech than the iPod, but people still buy the iPod because even grandparents can use them. ;)

Posted by sail191912 on January 9, 2007 at 8:48 PM (CST)

They are going to have to have to market this really god cause I doubt anyones gonna pay $600 for an 8GB PHONE.

Posted by Bond. OMG Bond. on January 9, 2007 at 8:53 PM (CST)

I don’t like the ultra slow as molasses cingular edge internet speed. Why couldn’t they implement the broadband 3g connect speed into the iphone. This is like going back to the 1995 dial up speed for such an advanced phone.. Thumbs way down….so what they want me to do is invest in the iphone now only to buy it again in a year to get the faster broadband connect…sorry, ill wait until 2008…

Posted by anthony on January 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›