iPhone, Apple TV shown at Macworld keynote | iLounge News

iPhone, Apple TV shown at Macworld keynote

image

During his keynote presentation at Macworld Expo today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the long-rumored iPhone to rapturous applause from the large audience in attendance. Jobs also showed off the retail version of the iTV, now called the Apple TV, and revealed other news such as a company name change and the latest iTunes sales.

Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone
Apple TV announced
iTunes Store sells 2b songs, 50m TV shows, 1.3m movies
Apple drops ‘Computer’ from company name
Apple now fourth-largest music reseller in U.S.
Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
iPhone reaction: Press, analysts, competitors and bloggers
Apple’s Jobs: ‘You don’t want your phone to be like a PC’
iLounge Macworld Expo flickr photos
iLounge Apple keynote photo gallery
Macworld Expo 2007 keynote video

« Apple stock soars, smartphone makers sink

Apple posts new iPod+iTunes ads »

Comments

the original iPod was $500.  There’s an iPhone in my future, but I might weight for gen 2 as I did for my first iPod.  Don’t worry folks, these things are going to fly off the shelf and the price will drop sooner than later.

One other note, it is comical how something amazing like this can come out and some many people just roll there eyes and say, eh, yeah it’s OK.  The amount of tech in this thing is amazing, that fact that it was done with Apple magic is art.  Some guy commenting on this at the NYT was saying that his Pocket PC phone had been doing this for years and that Apple just copied M$.  What a moron, I watched the keynote, and I don’t recall Apple saying they invented the overall concept, but they did bash about four other similar featured phones.  The point is, that once again, Apple took a different approach, they stepped back from what was right in front of everyone else so they could get a good look at it, it’s what they always do!

Posted by kaioslider on January 9, 2007 at 9:31 PM (CST)

Where’s the GPS?  I want an all in one unit that can tell me where I am at and going like the Helios.

Posted by J T on January 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM (CST)

“I think Apple needs to introduce a lower cost no-frills phone.

The iPhone Shuffle.

You just press a button and it randomly calls a number in your phonebook”

Best comment on the whole page.

Am I the only one that thinks this looks ugly? I’ve never really cared for any of Apple’s designs.

Posted by rainking187 on January 9, 2007 at 10:27 PM (CST)

Sounds like a great device, but everyone in my family and all my friends have been with Verizon for a long time, with free mobile-to-mobile etc. so we are entrenched with Verizon.  The Iphone will be exclusively with Cingular in the U.S., and it sounds only with Cingular.  So I am out of the picture.  I understand their strategy, everywhere but the US, GSM is it, but I think Apple is wrong here, US is their primary market, we are the ones that can pay $600 for a phone, not the European Market.  So they should have thought of that.  Well maybe some other company will come up with something similar for us CDMA users.

Posted by Dave on January 9, 2007 at 11:38 PM (CST)

“I think Apple needs to introduce a lower cost no-frills phone.

The iPhone Shuffle.

You just press a button and it randomly calls a number in your phonebook”

I agree with commenter #24 - best comment!

I think this is a great idea in theory - and after looking at the demos on Apple’s site - I’m still impressed, but I won’t be buying one.

For me, an average person who isn’t glued to all forms of cellphone, blackberry, what-have-you - it’s just too much.

I love that Apple went out and made it though - that’s what I love about the company - it’s all about innovation.

Now, if Apple will only roll out a phone-free widescreen/touchscreen iPod! THAT’S what I’ve been waitin’ for… My old 40GB b/w screen needs updatin’! :)

Posted by schnazdoodle on January 9, 2007 at 11:46 PM (CST)

Jobs said that this was only the first in the line of iPhones. There will probably be a no frills version coming out in the next year. And of course there will be a widescreen only iPod with tons of HDD space. It would be ludicrous for them to not do so. Oh and not everyone wants or needs 100 gigs of memory for a mp3 player. Why do you think the Nanos sell so much better than the vPods?

Posted by littleville on January 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM (CST)

Odd that “The Beatles” were kind of passive announcement, huh?  All over the iPod and they were the music during the show and then ...squat.

Posted by superape on January 10, 2007 at 2:31 AM (CST)

Hahahahahahaha…

Everyone here saying they’ll never buy this device will have on within a year!

Posted by The Raven in USA on January 10, 2007 at 5:58 AM (CST)

Does anyone know when Apple plans to release this?  Also, how much? Thanks

Posted by Ruby on January 10, 2007 at 8:23 AM (CST)

Hey bro they said in the apple website at june !! and for the 4 gb 500 $ and the 8 gb 600 $

Posted by DJJAZZ on January 10, 2007 at 9:06 AM (CST)

Great idea limited possibilities

I have been waiting for this to replace my aging PDA, cell phone, and ipod.  Yeah it’s the price of a PS3 but considering how much I paid for each one of those things separately its a wash!

The problem is cingular.  This is especially difficult since because you know Cingular is going to get a surge in business off this they are going to want to keep it exclusive as long as possible, but for apple that locks out a lot of people who won’t change cell services.

If Steve is smart, in August he’ll remove the phone capabilities expand the PDA functionality and call it the return of the Apple Newton.

Posted by ArtVandelay on January 10, 2007 at 9:21 AM (CST)

For everyone complaining about the price, put it in perspective please… it’s not an 8gig iPod, and it’s not just a phone. It’s not meant to compete with basic cellphones, it’s meant to compete with Blackberries, Treos, MDAs, etc. My TMobile MDA was $500… and it’s a miserable piece of crap. The iPhone has the most intuitive, beautiful UI I’ve ever seen for a portable device, it’s slick as hell, AND powerful (from what I can tell) as far as capabilties goes… what’s there to complain about?

Plus, nobody here has used it. Use it, then complain about it.

Posted by thelottery on January 10, 2007 at 9:24 AM (CST)

yeah… but is the battery removable? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Posted by Just me on January 10, 2007 at 11:07 AM (CST)

It may be a replacement for the Palm based cell phones but it will not touch any of the corporate blackberries.

Blackberries in a corporate environment often make use of a corporate BEZ server that allows blackberry users to access a lot of internal corporate functions including group scheduling and other internal applications.  To take out the blackberry market you need to develop a server side infrastructure like blackberry has.

So while it is a very nice phone it will not replace many blackberry users.  I think not having the ability to swap your battery may ultimately become a big issue for many people.

Posted by bitstop on January 10, 2007 at 11:12 AM (CST)

Everyone here saying they’ll never buy this device will have on within a year!

Not if it’s only available on Cingular.

Besides, I’m more than satisfied with my BlackBerry 8700g on T-Mobile. It may have only a fraction of the features of the Apple phone, but then by the time all the rebates came through, I got back $25 for going with it for two years. I’d say that’s a bargain compared to the iPhone’s $500/$600 price point, regardless of all of its goodies. Neither is 3G, but then I also don’t have to EVER again have to deal with Cingular. And my BlackBerry does pretty much everything I need it to do damn near perfectly (except copying appointments in the calendar…THAT’S something RIM needs to work on.)

The thought of returning to Stinkular is reason enough for me to stay away; the hardware’s only one part of owning a cell phone—and for me, it’s the lesser in terms of importance when compared to who the carrier is.

Posted by flatline response on January 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM (CST)

I agree. they should make more versions of it, for those of us who dont want cell phone capabilities, with 80 gig hardrives and all the other wifi, bluetooth, camera and OSX capabilities it already has.  It’l be the most advanced MP3 player ever!! Video iPod + PDA!

Posted by Barracuda on January 10, 2007 at 12:33 PM (CST)

This (if it works as advertised) will destroy my BlackBerry, missing only Remote Desktop capability.

8GB is fine, I don’t want to carry my entire music collection on my phone, that’s what the 80GB iPod’s function.

If this thing has a bottom port for the existing sound docks I’m in!

Posted by Stud of the Bluffs on January 10, 2007 at 12:36 PM (CST)

If they come out with a vPod which has everything (especially wifi internet) without the phone and camera, and with a big HD, i am IN, actually, it would be idiotic not to.

Posted by jqc on January 10, 2007 at 1:27 PM (CST)

First of all, OBVIOUSLY, the next iPod will be a wide-screen. Hopefully it will be an 80gb or greater. One thing people need to remember is that not having phone capabilities may not save all that much because Cingular is subsidizing the price of the phone.

Has anyone else had trouble listening to the Keynote? Mine sounds all garbled. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by urbanslaughter on January 10, 2007 at 1:37 PM (CST)

Where is the widescreen iPod with 100GB+?  I like many of you posted here am very disappointed with Job’s keynote address yesterday.  I asked my wife to hold off on my X-mas gift (a new video iPod to replace my 60GB iPhoto) and now I have NOTHING to buy.  For all of you “talking up” the iPhone, 8GB is no where near enough space to have fun….and June is a long time away!!!

Posted by Tak on January 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >