iPhone, Apple TV shown at Macworld keynote | iLounge News

iPhone, Apple TV shown at Macworld keynote

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 9, 2007
News Categories: Apple

image

During his keynote presentation at Macworld Expo today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the long-rumored iPhone to rapturous applause from the large audience in attendance. Jobs also showed off the retail version of the iTV, now called the Apple TV, and revealed other news such as a company name change and the latest iTunes sales.

Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone
Apple TV announced
iTunes Store sells 2b songs, 50m TV shows, 1.3m movies
Apple drops ‘Computer’ from company name
Apple now fourth-largest music reseller in U.S.
Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
iPhone reaction: Press, analysts, competitors and bloggers
Apple’s Jobs: ‘You don’t want your phone to be like a PC’
iLounge Macworld Expo flickr photos
iLounge Apple keynote photo gallery
Macworld Expo 2007 keynote video

« Apple stock soars, smartphone makers sink

Apple posts new iPod+iTunes ads »

Comments

The device is clearly “cool,” as Jobs kept telling us during the keynote, but there is just no way I would rely on it as my day-to-day cell phone.

To understand why, just super glue your current cell phone’s battery permanently in place, & then spend a few hours each day playing with its coolest, most power hungry features.

The cooler the features, the sooner you should achieve enlightenment.

Posted by RR C-R on January 10, 2007 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

Wow, talk about harsh!

This product’s feature set looks more to me like it’s aiming for the Helio market than the iPod market. If you’re upset because you were hoping for something in the latter, the very name of the iPhone undermines your whole argument! There’s been lots of speculation here lately about whether Apple would introduce a tablet PC, a new touch-screen iPod, an iPhone, wide-screen video to compete with the Zune, bla bla bla… Did they do any of these things? Yes! Did they do all of these things? To a degree, yes! That said, is the iPhone for me? Since I simply don’t need a cellphone, no. Not for the price. But I was eyeing the Helio in case the day comes when I would. Now I’m eyeing the iPhone. wink

Posted by Laer on January 10, 2007 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

I’ll keep my Treo 700P thank you! I am not even SLIGHTLY interested in a new cell phone! However, I AM interested in a WIDESCREEN (4 inch plus)video Ipod! The 2.5 inch screen on my video Ipod is a JOKE! The IPhone will flop BIG-TIME! Please stay OUT of the cell phone fray! Stick with computers and Ipods! APPLE RULES!

Posted by Joey Smith on January 10, 2007 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

I just have one question: When is it coming to Canada???

C’mon, Steve, don’t neglect the technophiles to the north. We’re one of the most plugged-in countries in the world!

Posted by Pandora on January 10, 2007 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Well, it wouldn’t really be a brand new Apple product if 50% of the population did say it was stupid of completely dismiss with out ever using it.  Glad that hurdles over with.

Posted by kaioslider on January 10, 2007 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

alls i’m saying is i drop my phone all the time, but i never drop my ipod.  i don’t think for $500 i’d like to put the 2 together.  besides, it’s easier to say “i didn’t hear the phone over the music” when you’re phone isn’t your music player…knowwhatimean?

Posted by K on January 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Apple have to start somewhere…the first ipod was like I think 10 gb…look how far they have come…I’m impress and surprise there are still in bussiness..This is only the first generation ...wait a few years and how much better apple can make this product ...I think 3 more years they may eliminate ipods… Maybe….. However, Apple fans you guys are weird you seem to have very high expectation of Apple..some of it is ridiculus..I’m a big fan of Sony and their products are cool but they don’t seem to take risk like Apple with Ipod , the Imac thing and   the iphone those products just don’t follow the rules…Why can’t Apple just make normal products like Sony or iriver and stop taking stupid big risk??  I know why.. it’s the Apple fan with your crazy expectation.. Apple need to know there limits and stop making products that you crazy nerds dream up….You guys will destroy Apple inc…..( I hope so) Sonyforever..

Posted by toto on January 10, 2007 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

Cingular is the worst service in the US.  People want a functional phone that can connect and does not drop calls; cingular is the worst with the worst customer service.  Only Sprint is even worse.

Posted by don on January 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

Bros whatever

Im ready to buy one NOW, this thing is amazing.

Posted by COCO CARDENAS on January 10, 2007 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

Ah, this is a beauty. I wished that they would create an iPod like this without phone capabilities but with the general interface and internet capabilities, sort of like a PDA, but more music based in 30 and 80 gb… ah, I hope its on its way!

Posted by Adrian Lee on January 10, 2007 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

Haters, wake up and get the big picture.  Apple has 2 major priorities.  1. Giving stock holders a return on investment.  2.  Providing consumers with unmet needs.  The iPhone has already accomplished both.  All the critisim has to do with apple not producing a perfect iPhone.  THIS IS MARKETING FOLKS.  They have to give you a reason to buy the next generation of iPhone and continue return to investors.  This is corporate responsibility.

Posted by pg3 on January 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

NOOOOOOOOOOO NOT AN IPHONE I WANT A 6G IPOD they better come out with one this week or imma get me a zune

Posted by Royalty on January 10, 2007 at 7:56 PM (PDT)

All you complaining nay-sayers should start your own company and make perfect products right out of the gate.

Personally, I think the phone is beautiful and would love to buy one.

Posted by kebot1 on January 10, 2007 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

I realized today that it seems as if Apple releases the top of the line product with all the bells and whistles first…..and then releases a similar less expensive product a short while later. I think they’ll release a widescreen touchscreen iPod this year that’s NOT a phone-AND it will have that huge storage that some of you sissies seem to need. That said….
The iPhone looks amazing. I don’t think it will invade the business world, and I dont think it’s meant to. All you SUITS can keep your Crackberries.

Posted by Joshua Jessup on January 10, 2007 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

If it’s a phone, give me just the phone. There is one universal problem with combo devices: faster hardware degredation.

Remember:

Human Made: Depreciates
Nature Made: Evolves

A phone should just be a phone, nothing else.

Let us wait and see how long it takes to scratch and crack the thouch screen.

JN.

Posted by Junk Neo on January 11, 2007 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

Following are two must-read articles:

Posted by Mythwolf in Pakistan on January 11, 2007 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

As much as I am in love with the iPhone, one fundemental problem I see with it is that due to its touchscreen-only format, you cannot control it with one-hand. Granted for some things this is a non-issue (e-mail), but when using the phone it think that it is important to be able to pick up and call with one hand. Similarly, the incredible thing about the iPod click wheel was that you could have complete control over your ipod with one hand and without moving your thumb more than a centimeter in any direction.

Any thoughts?

Posted by Mick on January 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

As great is the iPhone seems it will be why can’t it come with upgradable memory?  They already have 8GB SD/Mem stick out there and more on the way.  Just seems a drag to be stuck with something you can’t expand.

Posted by joe_C on January 11, 2007 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

As good as the iPhone is, I’ve noticed one thing no-one’s said yet, Apple’s lawsuit with Cisco!

Posted by Mark on January 12, 2007 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

8GB?  EDGE?  2007 summer!  Yea, I really going to buy this because it had an “i” in front of the “phone”.

Useless Junk!

Posted by cl on January 12, 2007 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >