iPhone apps emerge from iPhoneDevCamp | iLounge News

iPhone apps emerge from iPhoneDevCamp

image

The first iPhoneDevCamp, held over the weekend, has seen the launch of more than twenty new web-based applications for the iPhone. A complete list of apps from the event is available, including gOffice for iPhone, a word processor designed for iPhone that allows you to save your work as a Microsoft Word document by emailing it to yourself or others. iLounge was a proud sponsor of the event, and we have a full gallery of photos from the camp. In addition, slides from the camp’s keynote presentation (PDF link) are available online for those who are interested. Be sure to check out our iPhone Application Directory for even more apps for your iPhone.

« McGraw Hill offers EZ Test Online for iQuiz

Jobs in London, UK iPhone announcement imminent? »

Comments

How about an app to read eBooks?  This is the one app that I am missing the most on my iPhone.  Please, Apple, please!

Posted by Jamie on July 9, 2007 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

Some of these apps are very nice.  I’m excited to try out the gOffice app later.  My favorites that I tried so far are the Weather Widget from Accuweather and the Gas.app, which shows the lowest gas prices in the area, conveniently linked with GoogleMaps.  I also bookmarked the OneTrip shopping list and the goMovies app.  These have the potential to add a lot of functionality to our iPhones!!

Posted by Rod Dunn on July 9, 2007 at 1:34 PM (CDT)

These are nice aps but it’s disingenuous of Apple to position these as iPhone aps. They’re Web aps that will work on just about any browser. Until Apple opens the OS to applications development, the iPhone will be seriously crippled.

Posted by Surf Monkey on July 9, 2007 at 1:55 PM (CDT)

The list of apps presented at the hack-a-thon are a bit more representative then the other list of apps.

Posted by Christopher Allen on July 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM (CDT)

Database, Database, DATABASE! Am I the ONLY person that needs that capability in an iPhone?!!! What needs to be created is an iPhone database that can be mirrored to a desktop database.

Posted by Tom Allen on July 9, 2007 at 4:27 PM (CDT)

It’s funny how some folks take the limitations as a challenge and come up with some nice serviceable apps, and some folks prefer to sit back and whine!

Posted by The Raven in USA on July 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM (CDT)

It’s funny that some folks will take the time to share their thoughts, yet actually contribute nothing to the cause, except maybe voice opinions that are judgmental and self-servant. Since this carries as much weight as whining, this is nothing more than the pot calling the kettle black.

Posted by Tom Allen on July 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM (CDT)

I’ll second the database idea. I have a number of uses for databases on my iPhone.

Posted by Surf Monkey on July 9, 2007 at 8:02 PM (CDT)

Check out this other app for the iPhone!

Earthcomber, your digital survival kit, is now available on the iPhone.  The company’s “mobile spotter” application connects iPhone users with their favorite places and things – automatically – on the go.  Earthcomber remains free and individuals can spot over 10 million locations around the USA.  Users can locate the usual (restaurants, movies, music, coffee, shopping, and WiFi hotspots) and hidden gems such as local events, historic buildings, waterfalls and locations marked by mutual interest communities.

Customize your mobile experience.  Visit http://www.earthcomber.com/iphone

[Moderator note: This comment submitted by an earthcomber.com employee/representative]

Posted by Jenna P. on July 10, 2007 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

Macrumors listed heysan! AIM, MSN, ICQ as one of the top 3 apps from the Camp, it’s a web-based instant messaging application that supports AIM, MSN, ICQ and soon Google Talk and Yahoo. It’s optimized for the iPhone and will remain free without any session limitations

Posted by Gustaf on July 12, 2007 at 4:40 PM (CDT)

I would like to see software that would allow IPhones users to cut and paste

Posted by Dr. John C. Green on January 12, 2008 at 2:33 AM (CST)

I really would like to see a database app for the iPhone. Something like the old Psion “Data” app would be fine. If it were spiffier with e.g. relational capability & neat lookups that would be even nicer.

Posted by c hart on June 13, 2008 at 7:23 PM (CDT)

DATABASE!
I can’t live without carrying some of my data bases with me on my Treo where I use FileMaker Mobile.  I do not want to consult them on-line, I want the data on the device.
I just want a PDA of the *effectiveness* of the PSION 3A.  Function before style.

Posted by Robert Cailliau on July 17, 2008 at 4:01 PM (CDT)