iPhone battery charging issue a software bug | iLounge News

iPhone battery charging issue a software bug

An issue regarding the iPhone’s charging screen has been acknowledged by Apple as a software bug. A few iPhone owners have claimed that the battery icon, which appears on the device’s screen when charging, fails to show a fully charged battery despite hours of charging, reports WirelessInfo. Apple responded to the report by stating, “Your battery is fully charged, but the UI (User Interface) is just not correctly reflecting this. We expect to fix this in a software update.”

« Scosche intros DIY BlueLife Bluetooth car kit

Signal allows iPhone to control iTunes »

Comments

It’s going to be the mother of all updates, as it seems. Or it better be, to be more precise.

Posted by Bad Beaver on July 16, 2007 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

I don’t know about “better be.”  My iPhone is fine the way it is, but any UI tweaks and stability bug fixes would be greatly appreciated.  New features would be icing, I don’t really need anything.

This battery issue is something that I’ve run into, and it seems to occur most often with third party chargers.  My car charger, for example, definitely charges the iPhone but the battery indicator doesn’t show this.  Plugging it into a laptop after it’s been charged in the car immediately updates the indicator to full.

I’ve just been careful to plug the iPhone into a computer once in a while.  I can sort of guess the battery life anyway.

Posted by dasmb on July 16, 2007 at 11:55 AM (CDT)

Any word yet on when this update might happen?

Posted by BooWhoo on July 16, 2007 at 12:35 PM (CDT)

The reason most cars have only a “check oil” light, instead of an oil pressure gauge, is because (so the legend goes) little old ladies kept bringing their cars in asking why the oil pressure gauge was at 30, rather than 100 (or zero).

<snicker>

Posted by AgingGeek on July 16, 2007 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

I doubt that.  Auto repair is one of the few industries where answering dumb questions is one of your most profitable ventures.  People still bring in their cars for “tune ups,” even though with fuel injectors and electronic ignition timing there isn’t anything to tune.  Garages gladly take their money and use it to check fluid levels, change wiper blades, and run “diagnostic scans” that consist of making sure there aren’t any codes in the computer—codes which would result in warning lights if they existed.

The real reason most cars have on/off warning lights rather than gauges is the same reason so few cars have tachometers these days: gauges cost more and make the dashboard look more intimidating.

Posted by dasmb on July 16, 2007 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

I have always had this problem with both of my video iPods.  I use a sharper image “Ipod+Speakers” thingamajig.  No matter how long I keep the iPod plugged in, the battery will never show as full.  So, I usually just guesstimate.

Posted by MCW on July 16, 2007 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

But will this update give me an oil pressure gauge on my iPhone?  (I’d even settle for a tachometer.)

Posted by ridic on July 16, 2007 at 3:51 PM (CDT)

What should the indicator look like?

I believe the indicator mentioned is the “big green battery that fills up” when docked and the sleep/wake button is pushed, right?  Mine fills mostly up with green, but I never get any “Charged” text message or anything to indicate fully charged.  The only reason I knew I had reached a full charge was by Settings>Usage screen.

I guess I am affected by the bug.  Good to know, I thought that was kind of weird to have such a large battery indicator but then hide how you find if it is fully charged.

My only other complaint is the occasional browser restart, but I can let it slide with an initial release.

Posted by TxCub on July 16, 2007 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

I still get this problem, even though I’m on 1.4. Did it get resolved for anyone else in one of the updates? I can leave my iPhone plugged into the USB on my iMac all night, and it’ll still show <10% charged (and give me warnings), yet when I shutdown the phone and restart it, the battery shows 100% charged.

Posted by JP on April 28, 2008 at 9:38 AM (CDT)

Now we have iOS 4, and they STILL haven’t fixed this ****. Plug it in to every USB port, follow the troubleshooter on Apple.com, reboot computer, reboot unit, unplug, replug, multiple times… all with the OEM cable and a computer meeting the minimum specs and the latest iTunes installed. Battery picture doesn’t show that it’s charging, and it won’t show up in iTunes. Fracking BS!

Posted by JR on June 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM (CDT)