iPhone beats N95, HTC Touch in usability test | iLounge News

iPhone beats N95, HTC Touch in usability test

The iPhone soundly bested both the Nokia N95 and HTC Touch in a recent usability test by Perceptive Sciences, a Texas-based usability consulting firm. The test, which was designed to be as objective as possible, asked ten people who had never used any of the three devices to perform simple tasks, such as setting the phone to vibrate, making a call, saving a phone number to the contact list, sending a brief e-mail, and taking a photo. Completion times for each task were recorded and compared; based on these results and the scientists’ observations, a score of between one and five was awarded. Overall, the iPhone received a score of 4.6 out of 5, compared to the HTC Touch’s score of 3.4 and the N95’s score of 3.2. “Testers were [typically] about twice as fast doing specific tasks on the iPhone, which is pretty remarkable,” said senior research scientist Tom Thornton. The iPhone was triumphant in all but one of the five testing categories, losing to the Nokia N95 in “Functionality.”

« Vivendi labels Apple’s contact terms ‘indecent’

iStyles unveils accessories for new iPods »

Comments

I’ll stick to my feature packed N95, thanks.

Posted by Killa on September 24, 2007 at 12:57 PM (CDT)

And I’ll stick with my feature packed and easy to use iPhone, thanks.

Posted by RL on September 24, 2007 at 1:09 PM (CDT)

Well it’s all personal preference. The iPhone definitely isn’t as feature packed as the N95, but it’s got a beautiful screen and is definitely much more user friendly.

Posted by Killa on September 24, 2007 at 1:37 PM (CDT)

It’s easy to master something that does almost nothing.

Posted by The Doctor on September 24, 2007 at 1:55 PM (CDT)

“It’s easy to master something that does almost nothing.”

Lame.

Posted by The Raven on September 24, 2007 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

“almost” only counts in horse shoes and hang grenades

Posted by cydeweyz on September 24, 2007 at 2:31 PM (CDT)

Perhaps the N95 does more, but frankly, it’s also ugly. I’ve never held one, but it also appears to be big.

One thing that Apple understands at its core (no pun intended) is that aside from functionality, many people want style.

Think about this: How many phones has Apple released? One. How many phones has Nokia released? Hundreds.

The very fact that these products are being compared is indicative of Apple’s collective genius. And guess what? This won’t be the last iPhone ever. The next ones will “do more,” and the ones after that, etc.

For this to be Apple’s *first* foray into phone-making, I think they’ve done a hell of a job. And it works seamlessly with the other apps on my computer. I doubt that the N95 syncs with iCal, iTunes, and Address Book.

So I’m going to stick with the more attractive option—the one that does a heck of a lot. And if the N95 does “more,” that’s great. It’s like the brainier, unattractive kid at school. Sure, he’s better at math, but who wants to hang out with him?

Posted by soundsgoodtome on September 24, 2007 at 2:53 PM (CDT)

I have had Sony Ericcson, Nokia, Motorola and Kyocera phones in the past… Figuring out how to use them all effectively all meant I very rarely used all the features. In most cases I only used it as a phone.

Now on the other hand, a month and a half into it, I have already used every feature on the iPhone on a daily basis. It is just the easiest most user friendly phone I have ever used. I am not surprised by these results!

Posted by Hayes on September 24, 2007 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

I truly enjoy using my iPhone. With a few exceptions, even the boring settings menus and whatnot are a joy to use. I can’t say that about any phone or PDA I’ve ever used. At best, they’ve been tolerable. Yeah, there are phones out there with more features, but are there phones that offer up a better user experience? Phones that browse the web better? Phones that are better music and video players. Nope.

Posted by icruise on September 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

Well i currently own an N95 and it would be a fantastic phone if the speakers didn’t need repacing (again), it didn’t keep disconnecting calls, wasn’t so slow and wasn’t so poorly built.

My iphone will be with me as soon as customs let it through to the uk! but i will still keep the N95 - just in case.

Posted by dazza on September 24, 2007 at 4:17 PM (CDT)

There are maybe a few of phones out there which can do more then the IPhone, i can picture this. BUT everybody have admit that Apples first Phone device hits it on the spot.

And one main point is that firm ware updates will add applications, fixes and updates on this device.

I have a Motorola MPx220 with 1GB SD for images. It has everything i need BUT most of the stuff i only touch once in a while. It is just so complicated to go to certain menues.

I’ll get me the IPhone because it is user friendly and has a unique design/function.

People who don’t like this device should think about it again and they might see, that for Apples first Phone device.. they did pretty da** good…

;)

Posted by dennis on September 24, 2007 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

and something else..

I’ve just checked out the Noia device and it does look bulky. plus it is priced for $699. The 5MegaPixel Camera is very nice but the rest is nothing attractive

Posted by Dennis on September 24, 2007 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

I’m going to go ahead and say that the N95 is ugly. Then again, most of Nokia’s phones are ugly. However, the HTC Touch looks pretty nice.

And the only reason the iPhone syncs perfectly with iCal, Address Book, and iTunes is guess what? The same company that made the OS, made the programs. And the exact same company made the phone. If they didn’t get syncing down, that would be a pretty bad failure on their part. Now, I’m sure if Nokia or HTC made their own OS and their own set of programs, their respective phones would sync perfectly too.

Honestly, unless Apple decides to put out a 3G iPhone that is open to 3rd party programs, my next phone will be a HTC Kaiser/AT&T Tilt 8925

Posted by Nobody on September 24, 2007 at 8:12 PM (CDT)

I have had many phones, i bought the iPhone just to try it out.. for fun. It lacks many things, but i love looking at my photos on the big screen and it’s just a pleasure to use. I also loved my two Sony Ericsson phones, in my opinion, they make the best, most solid and feature filled phones. I also love the N95, but it seems too slow for all its features.. I wish i had dvd quality recording on the iPhone though… My question is this: how often do you guys change your cell phones ? I switch models/brands every year, i switch carriers every 2 years or so.. depending on what’s being offered… you ? just out of curiosity…

Posted by Chris on September 24, 2007 at 11:24 PM (CDT)

Ok im not going to choose sides here but I am a very happy iPhone owner. And with 3rd party applications in development I see no reason why the iPhone cannot advance and be as powerful as the N95.

Posted by Allison on September 24, 2007 at 11:48 PM (CDT)

“People had a hard time turning it on,” Thornton said. “Only 30% of our sample group could turn it on right away.”

So the sample group was Miss Teen USA South Carolina and her best friends?

While there’s a lot of truth in the usability test and most devices have a lot that could be improved, what the test forgets is that most people have used a phone before and if you know how to use a brand X phone, you’re most likely to buy the same brand the next time.

The features are another story.  When you’re used to a large screen, you don’t want to go back to a small screen.  When you’re used to having an integrated GPS with free maps and inexpensive navigation, you don’t want to go back.  When you’ve had HSDPA, you won’t go for EDGE any longer.  That makes life even harder as more features are being added and there’s no longer “the perfect phone”.

Posted by Petri on September 25, 2007 at 2:18 AM (CDT)

hey some like blondes, some like brunettes, some like breasts and some like bums

hey isn’t it the differences that makes the world go round.

Posted by jon on September 25, 2007 at 7:09 AM (CDT)

Nokia features??? I hopeyour not talking about the 5mpx camera lol or the GPS… please. Any real toy geek has GPS in there cars and real Cameras for pictures.

The iphone argument is much like mac vs. pc.

For the record, I dont have an iphone or a mac… But wouldnt even think about getting a Nokia invention.

Posted by cs on September 25, 2007 at 7:24 AM (CDT)

‘ssup all

well I have a Mac(book) and PC, and a N70 phone. I love Mac and OS X and it surely integrates real well with the iphone (like IE integrates well with window$).

I won’t be getting the iphone though, no 3G sux, and that thing is all locked up. Look at all the cool software you can get on symbian.

NB: a REAL geek wants putty, a text editor, that kind of stuff

Posted by colt on September 25, 2007 at 8:17 AM (CDT)

“hey isn’t it the differences that makes the world go round.”
I thought it was sex and money, silly me

Posted by colt on September 25, 2007 at 8:18 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >