iPhone box contents, iTunes 7.3 confirmed | iLounge News

iPhone box contents, iTunes 7.3 confirmed

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

In an update to its technical specifications page for the iPhone, Apple today confirmed that the iPhone will come packaged with a Dock and USB Power Adapter, similar to now long since discontinued $499 and $599 iPods, as well as a Stereo Headset (earphones with microphone), Dock Connector to USB Cable, cleaning cloth, and documentation. iTunes 7.3 will be required for the device, and available as a separate download from the Apple web site.

Apple has also disclosed that iPhone will support video playback at rates identical to the iPod’s, with a maximum of 640x480 pixels in MPEG-4 or H.264-formats. This disclosure puts to rest speculation that iPhone might be capable of playing Apple TV-formatted videos, or at least true DVD-quality videos, upon release. As with the fifth-generation iPod, however, these specifications may be improved in a future software update.

« Apple debuts Works with iPhone; which logo?

AT&T: iPhone restock fee, SIM, no insurance details »

Comments

Sold separately, the dock, power adapter, and stereo headset would probably run $100 in the aggregate, so even though the price of the iPhone is quite high, that bundle of accessories makes the cost a little easier to swallow. I wish they would throw in one of those soft sleeve-style cases, though I will almost assuredly pick up one of DLO or Marware’s silicone protectors anyway.

I hope Apple releases iTunes 7.3 today or tomorrow so interested buyers can update in advance.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 27, 2007 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

Flippy Hambone… just seeing your name totally made my day.  That’s hilarious!

Posted by Benucio on June 27, 2007 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

I’m very happy to hear that the dock is included!  I was going to buy one either way, but I would have grumbled about paying $39 for one after having spent $600 on the iPhone.

Posted by Bethany on June 27, 2007 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

wonder if 7.3 might have an upgrade for OG 5G ipods to add search… also hoping it kills whatever bug makes my graphics card crash the computer when itunes is open… guuuuuh

Posted by Puck in washington dc on June 27, 2007 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

If I am understanding that right, it sounds like you will not update iTunes if you don’t have an iPhone?  I only have an iPod, so I will not be able to update, or will not NEED to update to 7.3?

Just making sure I am reading that correctly, thanks.

Posted by Matthew W. on June 27, 2007 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

You won’t have to update, so perhaps wait a couple of days just to suss out how people feel about the update…if iLounge ends up covered in stories and comments about how buggy 7.3 is, it might be a good idea to stick with 7.2 for now. If not though, probably best to update, even though it probably won’t make a huge difference to non iPhone users like us…stupid US gets everything first…grumble hrmnmmgggh…

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on June 27, 2007 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

I installed 7.3 on my Win XP system and it caused itunes to say Error -50 library will not update.  And it messed up the library.  Did system restore and reinstalled 7.22 and all is well again. Am afraid to try it again

Posted by Chuck Yadmark on June 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM (PDT)