iPhone coming June 29, three ads launched (updated) | iLounge News

iPhone coming June 29, three ads launched (updated)

image

Announced in January for a June release, Apple’s iPhone finally has a street date: June 29, 2007. In a series of three commercials now found on Apple.com, and beginning to air on television, Apple announces the date while touting the phone’s versatility as an iPod, cell phone, and mobile Internet device. The commercials, “Never Been an iPod,” “How To,” and “Calamari,” show the phone switching effortlessly from feature to feature, rendering easy and straightforward transitions from media playback to e-mailing, web browsing, and Google Maps.

Each commercial ends with the disclaimer that “(u)se requires minimum new 2 year activation plan” with AT&T. No major new features are shown, but the screens now highlight the AT&T logo and include a Bluetooth icon alongside the battery life indicator at the screen’s upper right corner. Several of the icons have also changed slightly in position from their original places; consequently, it’s unclear whether you can manually rearrange the icons on the system’s home menu, or whether they’ve been permanently moved. A demonstration of email functionality now contains a bottom-of-screen “Updated” listing noting when email was last synchronized, plus two-line summaries of message content rather than the one-line summaries shown in prior demonstrations.

Additional small details are also evident. The unit’s top now clearly shows a concave headphone port, rather than the purely flat surface found on the tops of iPods; how this may impact headphone plug compatibility is unclear. Apple now also refers to its Safari web application as “Safari” on the main menu rather than as “Web,” keeping the iPhone application’s branding consistent with the OS X application.

« iPhone cases debut in Free iPod Book 3.0

iPodweek and Forums: iPhone, iTunes Plus, Worn-out Logos »

Comments

Can I still claim refugee status to the USA to get in on the stampede ?

Standing by for the canadian launch ASAP ! ;)

Posted by dZign on June 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM (CDT)

Ditto. Does AT&T have reasonable roaming charges from Canada and Mexico? Can I live in a PO box in the US?

I divide my time between Canada and Mexico. (I have you surrounded.)

Posted by mex4eric on June 3, 2007 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

soooooo swweeeetttt baby. I’m glad that I moved 5 years ago from germany to Georgia here in the US. Now i have to get me my health ins updated because my heartpressure is going up and up the closer it get to june 29th ... =)

Posted by Dennis on June 3, 2007 at 11:04 PM (CDT)

i also noticed that for whatever reason all 3 ads show an unchanging time of 9:42am. very odd. is that the default time?

Posted by otsego on June 3, 2007 at 11:22 PM (CDT)

It’s a fixed time, same with the date which shows June 3rd. It would be impossible to shoot the commercial and air it the same day.

Can’t wait till June 29th, juts to be able to play with the phone (if lucky).

Posted by Dave95 on June 3, 2007 at 11:36 PM (CDT)

not a fan of the commercials, arent as original or modern as the iPod and Mac ones.

Posted by wholikespotatoes on June 4, 2007 at 2:18 AM (CDT)

wow. I didn’t think I wanted an iPhone until I actually saw it in use like that… wow. So much money though.

Posted by Aaron Walker on June 4, 2007 at 2:34 AM (CDT)

with the glassish look on the iphone pic here it looks like they’re taking a bit of Vista style! lol

Maybe leopard will have some glass effectness to it also?

Posted by brad j on June 4, 2007 at 3:21 AM (CDT)

Hi Guys, i’ve a question for you, lucky american people!!

The iPhone will have a flight mode in order to make possible offline usage for also european ones?
Well, using a phone without sim card is not so useful, but we (in europe) can’t live without it!!

Thanks!

Posted by Matteo Moruzzi (from www.ipodmania.it) on June 4, 2007 at 8:35 AM (CDT)

It’s a beautiful piece of kit but I’m still not convinced. It’s not best in class at any of its three functions; it’s too big and clunky for a phone and if you want to email on the move you want something with a proper keyboard like a Blackberry. The fact that you can combine three functions in one handset doesn’t necessarily mean that a lot of people will want to, particularly at that price.

Posted by Andrew C (UK) on June 4, 2007 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

“...too big and clunky for a phone” ??????

It’s obvious that you never had Treo!

Besides, three fonction devices will cost you a lot more than this combined one.

I’ll trade my Treo for an iPhone anytime, at least when it will be available here.!!

Posted by niclet (Quebec) on June 4, 2007 at 12:57 PM (CDT)

I heard today on the news that the iPhone will be released in Mexico in 2008.

Sad, sad Xmas.

Posted by MT on June 4, 2007 at 2:16 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy the iPhone without the AT & T service agreement?  I’m stuck in a new contract with Verizon, but would love the iPhone for its other features.  What features (if any) would still be available without the 2 year contract?

Posted by Ethan on June 4, 2007 at 2:43 PM (CDT)

After watching the ad where the person was typing in the address in google maps, I sold on the texting. Sure looks faster typing than my current Moto phone.

Posted by Dave on June 4, 2007 at 2:50 PM (CDT)

I still don’t get this idea that you can somehow store feature-length movies on a tiny flash drive, along with all your photos, music, phone numbers, etc. If the iPhone is really going to come in 4GB and 8GB configurations only, I don’t see many people being able to put more than maybe 1 movie on there, and it will have to be crappy quality at that.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on June 5, 2007 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

Hey otsego

Thats might be when they go on sale. (Apple has managed to twist ATT arm, so it might be it)

Posted by ryan10ad on June 5, 2007 at 11:48 AM (CDT)

hey joshdude I have dvd to ipod program and I have six Movies on my I pod (AEONFLUX, Pirates of the Caribion, SHES THE_MAN, Side Ways, The Illusionist, TRANSPORTER 2).  All using only 4.14gb. And the videos look amazing in my I pod. What I think it takes all the dolby digital sound and the special features and other stuff and just leaves the movie and stereo sound, to shrink it down which is all you   really need for an I-pod.

Posted by Joetunes92308 on June 6, 2007 at 4:09 AM (CDT)