iPhone data poll ends, iPhone 3GS purchasing poll begins | iLounge News

iPhone data poll ends, iPhone 3GS purchasing poll begins

With over 3,800 votes from iLounge readers, our latest poll—“Would you give up your iPhone if data charges went up, or you were subjected to bandwidth caps?” has ended. Readers were given three negative responses, three positive choices, and the option to say they don’t own an iPhone.

The majority of iPhone owners surveyed—51%—said they would give up their iPhones if their carrier capped their data usage or raised prices. Another 14% said the would give up their iPhones if the carrier raised data charges, followed by 11% who said they wouldn’t give up their iPhones if their carrier raised prices or capped their data, so long as the charges included tethering, or if the bandwidth limit was around 10GB/month. Another 10% said they wouldn’t give up their iPhones no matter what happened, while 8% said they wouldn’t give it up over high prices, so long as the additional charges included tethering or the bandwidth limit was around 5GB month, and 5% said they would give up their phones if their carrier limited their monthly bandwidth. Finally, 23% of total respondents said they didn’t own an iPhone. Thanks for all your votes!

Our new poll focuses on the iPhone 3GS. We’d like to know if you plan on purchasing one. Do you have an iPhone 3G, or an original iPhone, and plan to upgrade, or will this be your first iPhone or iPod touch? Or are you skipping it because the upgrade pricing from your iPhone 3G is too expensive, or because you’re happy with your original iPhone? Perhaps you aren’t buying the 3GS because you don’t care for your regional carrier, or because the phone simply doesn’t appeal to you? Our new poll, “Will you be purchasing an iPhone 3GS?” lets you answer that question. As always, you can find the iLounge Poll in the far left hand column of the main iLounge.com home page. Cast your vote today!

« Apple posts iPhone 3GS-ready user guide

T-Mobile, Orange Austria announce competitive 3GS pricing »

Comments

I would like to participate in this week’s 3G S purchasing poll. However, as I read through the options I notice that none of them apply to me. While I do plan on purchasing a new iPhone 3G S, I have been using an iPod Touch 2G since it was released and I’m running OS3.0. The iPhone 3G S will not be something new to me, but being able to use the apps on the 3G network will change everything!

Posted by Matt on June 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

i answered ‘No, because I’m happy with my original iPhone.’ and that’s completely true, but not the entire story. i’m holding onto my original 2G iPhone because AT&T has yet to grace my portion of south central indiana with 3G. it stops just south of indianapolis. i mean, it’s not like my town is a home of a big ten school. we don’t have almost 200,000 residents when school is in session…

oh wait. it is, and we do.

the drones at the local at&t stores claim we’ll be getting it this fall, but until i can actually USE 3g, i’m not going to PAY them for 3g.

Posted by mike on June 18, 2009 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

No, I am in the middle of my contract. While the video and improved camera are enticing. It just isn’t enough to draw that kind of money out of my pocket.

Maybe next years model, also I would snap it up if it were on verizon. AT&T’s network has been too slow.

Posted by Tom on June 19, 2009 at 3:14 AM (PDT)

I deliberately got a 12 month contract when I signed up for my iPhone 3G, because
a) I knew Apple would release something better in 12 months.
b) the 24 month contracts with my provider didn’t offer big savings for my usage patterns.
c) I can give my iPhone 3G to my brother now.

Even if my provider only offers the iPhone 3G S on a 24 Month contract, i will still be upgrading. The increased speed alone would justify it for me, Voiceover and the Compass is the icing on the cake.

Posted by Dan Woods on June 19, 2009 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

I currently do not plan to upgrade to the iPhone 3Gs from my iPhone 3G because 1.) I am happy with what I have; and 2.) Prefer to see what features and improvements next year’s model will bring. I would hate to upgrade now with what I consider some minor improvements (although I think they are good ones) only to find out next year a 4G model comes out with more bells and whistles and then have to deal with the whole contract eligibility question all over again. So I am content to wait for right now.

Posted by cvandevere on June 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

I believe Apple and ATT should reevaluate their upgrade pricing. Those of us who purchased an iPhone a year ago and want to upgrade to the new 3 G S now should not be penealized with a charge of $200 more than a new user would have to pay. Loyal Apple customers and upgraders who wish to use the latest technology should be welcome at the same price as new users must pay.

Posted by Tom on June 20, 2009 at 2:48 PM (PDT)