iPhone draws in Treo, T-Mobile users | iLounge News

iPhone draws in Treo, T-Mobile users

Initial iPhone buyers were ten times more likely than other new phone buyers to have previously owned a Treo, and three times more likely to have owned a T-Mobile branded phone (such as the Sidekick), according to a new report from The NPD Group. NPD surveyed more than 13,000 consumers to collect data for its iPhone Report, which aims to provide insight into how the iPhone is affecting mobile phone sales in the U.S. In contrast to the Treo and Sidekick, iPhone buyers were no more likely than the average buyer to have previously owned a Blackberry. In addition, consumers who switched carriers were three times more likely to switch from Alltel or T-Mobile than from other carriers.

“The iPhone’s Internet and media capabilities have resonated with consumers—especially those who previously owned Treos and Sidekicks,” said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at NPD. “Its advanced operating system makes it competitive with smartphones for many tasks, while its sleek design and lack of expandability is reminiscent of fashion phones.”

« Noreve intros Tradition B leather case for iPod touch

Greenpeace report on iPhone leads to lawsuit »

Comments

Well, yeah.  I’m a Treo owner, and I can say on no uncertain terms that I will be an iPhone owner as soon as it’s available from any service provider other than AT&T.

The Treo’s not a bad device… after all, I upgraded to my current Treo from an older model Treo because I was happy with it.  But the Palm OS is getting a little long in the tooth, Palm doesn’t seem too interested in bringing the OS into the 21st century, and Windows Mobile and Symbian certainly aren’t looking like attractive alternatives.

So it makes perfect sense that so many Treo owners are becoming iPhone owners.  I suspect that most Treo owners would rather have a Treo with a vastly updated Palm OS, but lacking that, the iPhone is the next best thing.

Posted by Andy S. on October 16, 2007 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

I had a Motorola MPX220 which is a very nice device and has functions like
- Camerawith 8 different settings +zoom
-SD ( i have 1GB in it)
- Windows Mobile OS
there are so many functions in this little device BUT I waited for the IPhone and did not get in any contract and saved up my rollover minutes (3300min)

Now yesterday I received my IPhone and without any problems i figured out how to use the OS/Menue.

It’s amazing and I have to say that It would be very hard for me to go back to a device that has buttons and which is most of the time more complicated to use.

Like Steve Job said: This device makes everything so easy and everything works just with a few clicks.

I wish there would be a few setting like Brightness/Conrast/ Flashlight setting for the camera.

but so far im really impressed. Now AT&T has to do their part and get the network faster to stand out as a carrier.

Posted by Flavor on October 16, 2007 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

The Andy S. story sounds quite familiar to me since I too am a current, and previous, model Palm Treo user. But I’d put a slightly different spin on Andy’s final observation… I suspect that most Treo users would rather own an iPhone that has matured to its obvious logical features set, that are in parity plus with Treo… I have seen more true enhancement in the four months since iPhone launch, than in four years of the Palm OS…

The iPhone UI is very satisfying—it’s like a new child, but with genius potential. And one thing that constantly amazes me… I have never owned a smartphone that I utilize so fully and completely as iPhone.

I suspect the release of Leopard will find a big leap forward. Stay tuned.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on October 16, 2007 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

I ditched my awful Treo 650 to get the iPhone on launch day, and I’ve never been happier.

Treos are cumbersome, unwieldy, and user-unfriendly. Upgrading firmware is excruciating. The multimedia features suck. Even the basic apps just aren’t well thought out. And battery life and call quality were mediocre at best.

Maybe the iPhone isn’t a true “smartphone” but compared to the Treo it’s a helluva lot more genius-like and just plain fun.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on October 16, 2007 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

yeah, i just this last weekend finally traded in my old treo 650 for a new iphone. so far the only thing that’s lacking is having my exchange e-mail from work available. other than that i am not missing the old treo at all.

Posted by 3ntr0py on October 16, 2007 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

I would love to have the iPhone browser and the iPod functionality wouldn’t hurt either (though my 30GB iPod is nearly full of music and podcasts). But it will likely be a while until the iPhone is an acceptable upgrade from my Treo. Can I move my calendar and contact data easily (maybe I can already—I haven’t checked)? Can I read my eReader books? Will they come up with a way to install trusted applications so it’s at least close to being as open of a platform as the Treo is? My guess is that it will take at least one more generation of the iPhone before I’m ready to switch. I’ve been using Palm OS devices for over 10 years, so I can wait a little longer.

Posted by Mike on October 17, 2007 at 8:35 AM (PDT)