iPhone Guided Tour part 2: Word, Excel files viewable and more | iLounge News

iPhone Guided Tour part 2: Word, Excel files viewable and more

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, June 22, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

Continuing our previous update from the iPhone Guided Tour, Apple has used the 24-minute long video to unveil a collection of new and unexpected iPhone features, including support for viewing Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel documents that have been sent via e-mail.

imageInternet and E-mail: Google search is the default for the integrated Safari browser, but Yahoo can be used instead. Accessing search is available by touching the URL. The built-in e-mail application can read not only JPEGs and PDF files, but also Word and Excel documents. Business users have frequently cited ambiguity over iPhone’s support for Word or Excel documents as a potentially fatal omission, so their inclusion removes just one more potential barrier to the phone’s popularity. Apple claims that in “about a week,” you’ll be thumb-typing faster on iPhone than any other small keyboard. Through a settings menu, mail can be checked manually, or automatically every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. You can also choose between 0 and 5 lines to show in the mail window preview, and change between five font sizes for easier reading.

Stocks: The stock application allows you to view historical stock performance for a company on a scale of 1 day to 2 years, with 1 week, 1 month, 3 month, 6 months, or 1 year options in-between. It also lets you know whether the markets are open or closed. You can add additional stocks to the list, and scroll through them if they don’t all fit on your screen with the performance graph in place.

imageMaps: Zooming in or out can be accomplished with one or two simultaneous finger presses, in addition to pinching and expanding gestures. Though GPS is not—as some assumed—built into iPhone, a list of commonly used locations (such as Home) can be saved as starting and ending points. Maps can be overlaid with current traffic conditions using the bottom-of-screen car icon, which calls up Google’s traffic information to provide red and green map overlays.

imageSettings: Airplane Mode can be activated to deactivate the unit’s Wi-Fi, cellular and Bluetooth radios during a flight. An Airplane icon appears on the unit’s top left corner, and all of the wireless icons disappear. You can choose from 25 built-in ringtones, including Alarm, Ascending, Bark, Bell Tower, Blues, Boing, Crickets, Digital, Doorbell, Duck, Harp, Marimba, Motorcycle, Old Car Horn, Old Phone, Piano Riff, Pinball, Robot, Sci-Fi, Sonar, Strum, Timba, Time Passing, Trill, and Xylophone. Marimba is the chime currently most associated with the iPhone; there does not appear to be any way to use your iTunes music as a ringtone.

« iPodweek arrives today, Take the iPhone Line-Up Poll

iPhone Guided Tour shows new features, power button »

Comments

I’ve been resisting the temptation to get excited by this machine, but everything that is coming out looks so well thought out… iPod, PDA, phone, and who knows for the future?  Full blown computer capability to compete with the UMPC with docking station for keyboard and screen???

With all this potential, I wonder if there will be any significant update to the non-phone iPod video range?
Get the free iPhone memory up to 30GB and why would you want anything else?

I have 80GB of content on my Apple TV which I am continuing to add to, but I don’t need all that in my pocket.

I will make a fun prediction that the iPhone may well see the beginning of the end of the hard-drive ipod.
One more minor iteration I expect, (prob a larger drive), and then phase out.

Posted by Boca on June 22, 2007 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

I don’t see why the ability to read office files is a surprise. the free gmail app on my phone does that too.

what is a surprise is not being able to check email any more often than every 15 minutes.

Posted by jm on June 22, 2007 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

You can also check your email manually of course (the 15 minute mark is for the automatic checking).

Posted by LL on June 22, 2007 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Boca: because I need at least 50 GB for my music collection and hate carrying a cellphone?  I admit, the iPhone is tempting (mostly from a pocket-computer perspective rather than a cellphone perspective), but I can’t see it replacing my video iPod, especially at that price point.

Posted by celtic_elk on June 22, 2007 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Why the clock shows “9:42AM” in the video from the beginning to the end?

Posted by CKT on June 22, 2007 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

yes I’m aware of the manual check but I would want my email to be instantaneous. for example if a I’m responding to an email and a correction is sent to me as I’m responding I wouldn’t get it until it was too late.

Posted by jm on June 22, 2007 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

jm: continuous email check is impractical for any substantial number of devices.  Can you imagine what 100,000 iPhones querying email servers every half-second or so would do to the network’s response time?  Forget it.

Posted by celtic_elk on June 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

jm, can you aim a spoon into your mouth?  Just wondering.

Posted by Heather on June 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

The iPhone does PUSH EMAIL via Yahoo email accounts for FREE.

Thus email checking is not needed since each email will notify you directly that it has arrived!

Email checking is only needed for other accounts.

Posted by James Katt on June 22, 2007 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

See is believing. The cell phone industry should be ###### there pants about now, if they weren’t already. Its a whole new game now.

Checkmate.

Posted by James on June 23, 2007 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

Posted by jm on June 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

The iPhone is great and all, but who else thinks it is going to flop? I mean look at the price, restrictions, and so forth. By locking the phone with one carrier (AT&T), they are just leaving us 4/5th of the people out in the dark. Too bad I’m on t-mobile.

Posted by LPX on June 24, 2007 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

I don’t see iPhone taking any paticularly large role in the PDA/Smartphone world, and certainly not the 10% Mr Jobs had predicted. It is a rather nice device, but the price needs to be discounted at the time of sale, correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen anything about it playing well with Exchange Server (which is a rather large point for consideration for many people in the business world), and though it may be trivial…I kinda like my Treo’s stylus lol

Posted by jack on June 24, 2007 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

I would like to know can I print wirelessly and connect my bluetooth apple keyboard to it?? Seeing that it is running apple’s pocket os.  What about the hard drive?? Can I put in another one, a bigger one? Or is that going to be the money making scam come around Christmas? When they come out with 15 and 20 gig ones.  What about the camera? Can you record video? Can you use it with ichat? O what about running os9? Or pocket windows? lol..  O, would I be able to hook up maybe external burner or hard drive? Will it work with AIRPORT EXPRESS?? To play my itunes though my home stereo? I know some of these questions are crazy, but you have to ask. smile Thank you.

Posted by Doug on June 24, 2007 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Have I missed something? What about the calendaring, tasks, etc. that are so necessary for business users (and, frankly, for anyone who doesn’t want to carry both a PDA *and* a PDA-sized iPhone). In the launch presentation, the extent of Jobs’ description was, “And there’s a calendar…”. I had hoped that just meant the app wasn’t far enough along for even a “faux functionality” demo, but now that there isn’t any mention here, I’m nervous. Aren’t there a lot of people who’d be willing to buy an Apple iPhone, but need it to be able to sync with their Office Outlook?

Posted by alleeum on June 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

“you know, you can still buy an iphone even though i would prefer continuous email checking. trust me. but yeah sure i’ll aim a spoon at my mouth?”—jm

You know, you can still buy a car even though I would prefer it to be able to fly.  Trust me.

That’s you.  That’s what YOU sound like.

Posted by James on June 24, 2007 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

“You know, you can still buy a car even though I would prefer it t be able to fly.  Trust me. That’s you.  That’s what YOU sound like.”
You know the IPhone it’s going to be a flop when its main patrons result to ad hominem attacks

Posted by thematrixexpert on June 24, 2007 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

celtic_elk, if apple can’t figure out how to push email to the iphone then there is really no hope for business users.  It is just not practical.

Also, if there is no outlook calendar syncing that is going to be the final nail in the coffin.

pn

Posted by Pete N. on June 24, 2007 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

James, asking for continous email checking, something many devices do, is nowhere near as ridiculous as wanting a car to fly.

Stop over reacting. The push email(or lack of) is disappointing, no matter how you slice it.

Posted by jonathan on June 24, 2007 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

pn: those are some very big IFs. You know the saying, “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”. Given their size, given the existence of iTunes and Safari on Windows, given the iPhone runs Mac OS X, and given the rumors, I predict those IFs will be doing the humpty-dumpty on June 29th.

Posted by Foo on June 24, 2007 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >