iPhone Guided Tour shows new features, power button
Freshly debuted on the Apple.com web site, the new iPhone Guided Tour (also called Apple iPhone Welcome) features on-screen narration by Apple’s Bob Borchers through various features of the phone, including new ones.
Sleep/Wake (Power) Button: Found on the unit’s top right, next to the SIM card slot, the “Sleep/Wake Button” turns off the iPhone’s screen and disables its touch controls. While the phone can still receive calls, play music, and see its volume adjusted via the side volume buttons, the screen goes completely dark and is no longer touch-sensitive. The same button is held down for several seconds to turn iPhone’s power completely off, and a slider appears on screen to confirm that you want to do so.
Phone: Borchers explains that the alphabet letters found on iPhone’s scrollable lists are, in effect, letter-specific scroll bars that you drag your finger through and stop at a letter of your choosing. When you press the Home button during a phone call to return to iPhone’s main menu, a green bar at the top of the screen appears to keep you informed of how many minutes and seconds your call is taking. Like Safari, the phone has a list of favorites that can be customized with the specific numbers you prefer to use for people of your choosing, making calls to these people easier than scrolling through larger lists. Calling is as straightforward as was previously demonstrated, but the video spotlights context-sensitive in-call menus that make switching between two callers (“swap”), merging calls, and adding a call (keypad/contacts) easy.
iPod: The top of the songs list now has a shuffle button, as does the top of each artist’s collection of songs in your library. Double-tapping on videos in progress toggles between widescreen (16:9) and fullscreen (4:3) aspect ratios, while a single tap brings up on-screen controls. The “More” icon at the bottom of iPhone’s iPod screen provides you with the option to customize the device’s list of default one-click categories, including icons for Albums, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Genres, Composers, Complications, Playlists, Artists, Songs, and Videos. Any icon can be dragged from the list to replace one of the icons already at the bottom of the screen.
iPhone Stereo Headset: In addition to the microphone mounted at neck level to help you talk on the phone, the iPhone Stereo Headset includes a button below the microphone for one-press control of the phone, or the iPod’s media playback. A single press pauses or plays back music, as well as answering or ending a call; music fades in and out as appropriate. Two presses advances a track in the music.
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada in March?
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12