iPhone hack allows iPod, Wi-Fi use without activation | iLounge News

iPhone hack allows iPod, Wi-Fi use without activation

Well-known hacker “DVD” Jon Johansen has discovered a way to “activate” an iPhone without signing up with AT&T. The hack allows iPhone owners to use the device’s iPod and Wi-Fi features, but due to the lack of an AT&T contract, the device’s phone features still won’t work. In a post titled “iPhone Independence Day,” Johansen posted Phone Activation Server 1.0, along with several other instructions necessary to run the hack. The hack does not unlock the iPhone for use with other carriers.

« Universal confirms iTunes non-renewal

T-Mobile to offer iPhone in Germany? »

Comments

The way it SHOULD be. I think it’s bloody rediculous that Apple would lock out ALL use of the device until it’s set up with a contract with AT&T.

I’ve never heard of such as thing before this. I’m glad someone was clever enough to hack it. I welcome more hacks.

Posted by kloan on July 5, 2007 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

this plus another hack to use the phone features via voip would be pretty interesting.. but I’m not gonna hold my breath for that

Posted by jm on July 5, 2007 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

I agree with Kloan. I want an iPhone but I can’t afford to cancel out of my current contract with Alltel. Rats!

Posted by JC on July 5, 2007 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Does this hack make everything else work apart from the phone feature? So you get the music, the calendar, watch videos etc?

Posted by Rich on July 5, 2007 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

Nice hack.  Perhaps now people will have a use for their iphones while waiting for at&t to feed their hamsters.  Also turns the iphone into an expensive ipod.

I can’t wait until someone comes out with an unlock.  It’s only a matter of time before that happens.

Posted by Chahk on July 5, 2007 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

If someone does unlock the phone, it doesn’t prevent apple from blocking access to their servers from anyone not on an “approved resellers” network.  i.e. unlock phone, go use it on T-mobile and you can’t get to apples site.

Much like how ATT won’t let you use blackberry maps on your blackberry (free turn by turn directions) because they offer a pay service.

Posted by mark on July 6, 2007 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

Do i have to have a sim card in the iphone for it to allow me to use the ipod app, or just wifi?

Posted by jena on April 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM (PDT)