iPhone, iPod touch owners report battery drain with iOS 4.3 | iLounge News

iPhone, iPod touch owners report battery drain with iOS 4.3

Some iPhone 3GS/4 and iPod touch 4G owners are complaining of severe battery drain under iOS 4.3. Multiple Apple Support Discussion threads (one, two, three, four) have been dedicated to the subject, with most users reporting that turning off push services, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Location Services does not help the problem. One thread in particular tells of users whose iPhones have not auto-locked, and sat idle with the screen on for minutes or hours at a time. Notably, several iLounge editors have also noticed severe battery drain, although the problem is not present on all our phones. The problem appears to affect both iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 units, as well as the iPod touch 4G, and several users have reported that they were able to eradicate the issue by performing a restore and re-populating the phone manually file by file instead of from a backup.

« Report: Microsoft to end Zune hardware line

LogicInMind releases AirTuner, an AirPlay Viewer for iOS »

Comments

Kill ping in restrictions (settings/general/restrictions). Was going from full charge to drained in hours ever since I did the 4.3 update and seems to be working normally since turning ping off.

Posted by kp on March 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM (CDT)

So I to have noticed an increase in battery drain. Upon investigating the “location services” menu I noticed that the gps was constantly functionon in the background for “Camera”. As you go down the list you will see the little arrow icon which indicates gps is in use. I’ve turned off location service for my camera. Will get back with my report.

Posted by Miles P on March 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

I’ve seen this too on both iPad 1 & iPhone 4… tried most/ all suggested fixes on apple forums, found this.
Question: Does anyone think it has anything to do with Home Sharing?
Is iPod app constantly looking for the iTunes “server”?
Just a thought. Going to try comment #14.

Posted by Jimmy on March 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM (CDT)

Great! I followed #14’s advice by doing a soft reset of my ipod touch 4g, while keeping it plugged into the AC at 100%. Now the battery drain issue seems to be resolved before this I had to charge every day. It seems soft resets correct a lot of problems.

Posted by Char on March 26, 2011 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes 10.2 on Wednesday.  Since then my ipod touch 3’s battery starts draining the second I recharge.  Everything is turned off.  I run iTunes of a Windows 7 PC.

Posted by Susan on April 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM (CDT)

Hmm. maybe i am being stupid here. where in this page are some techniques to fix the batter issue?  where is this #14 a poster refers to?

Posted by Hmm on July 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2