iPhone OS 3.1 beta 3 improvements revealed | iLounge News

iPhone OS 3.1 beta 3 improvements revealed

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 28, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

A number of under-the-hood improvements added to the third beta version of iPhone OS 3.1 have been revealed to iLounge. Notably, the new beta supports failover support for HTTP live streaming, allowing content providers to queue up multiple media playlists, automatically switching over to a secondary stream in the event that the first one fails to load. Other improvements include enhanced support for Bluetooth audio recording in third-party applications, and the ability to perform offline audio conversion to AAC. As noted in a previous article, additional functions have also been added to the OS’s APIs to allow for customized interactions with the camera, including those seen in augmented reality applications. The new beta also runs somewhat faster than its predecessor.

« iPhone 3GS accessory issues blamed on software?

Apple working to block Google Voice on iPhone? »

Comments

If any 3.1 beta testers read this, I’d love to know if Live Updating of smart playlists works on the Touch/iPhone with 3.1 beta. With 3.0 that feature was broken on playlists that depend on the content of other playlists. There are also 3.0 issues with factory iPod integration with BMW, Mercedes, Honda, etc., so it would be good to know if this was addressed as well.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on July 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

YES! A MILLION TIMES YES.

The broken “live updating” on the iPhone is frustrating and inexcusable.

The flagship of the Apple portable lineup should not have such a glaring and crippling bug.

I know it doesn’t effect most users, but for the one’s it does effect it really is a huge problem.

Posted by ort on July 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

What about battery life enhancements?  On behalf of most iPhone 3G/3GS owners with OS 3.0, battery life has been extremely poor and just anxiously waiting for a software update to better our battery expectancies.  Yes, we all understand that more power is required for a faster processor, but most of our batteries are performing nowhere near the advertised life span.

Posted by Joon Rhee on July 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

How about just plain speed increase?/ I have had a LOT of sluggishness after upgrading to 3.0.
I use to be able to start typing in a persons name when I want to send an email now there is a 3-4 sec pause. If I pick a photo and choose send via email it use to dump right into an email now it sits at a blank eMail for as much as 10 seconds. switching from one app to IM when a new text came in it use to pop right to it now it goes to a white screen and sits there for several seconds. Even if I clear all my txt messages.
Over all the 3.0 upgrade cut my speed and performance by at least 30%!

Posted by Johnny L on July 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

Is Yahoo Small Business email sending and receiving now working with the Yahoo Push solution? It was delivered broken with the 3.0 release.

Posted by CW on July 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

Not an earth shattering issue, but I hope Apple fixes it so that speed dial apps will again let you push a single button to dial a number. Since 3.0, pushing a button brings up a window asking whether or not I want to call the number, to which I have to say yes - DUH! I checked other speed dial apps, and they all seem to have this same two step issue with 3.0.

Posted by nancy g in Sunnyvale, CA on July 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

3.1 beta 3 almost feels like a general release. It’s fast as hell and runs solid. No bugs.

Posted by Steele on July 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Give me my AVRCP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Joe Attardi on July 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

AVRCP - why is Apple being so frikken stingy with this?

And let at least one third party app run in the background.  ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Posted by J Price on July 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

Unfortunatly I’ve found an annoying bug in my testing! Whether a song is playing or not, rotate your device in landscape mode while in Music, all is fine, until you slide your finger across the screen in album viewing. Everything freezes up, the landscape time bar at the top of the screen may follow you out onto your device main screen, music is inaccesible. Any music playing ussualy stops.

Posted by Mike Sharkey on August 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM (PDT)