iPhone OS 3.0: June 17, with Find My iPhone, video downloads | iLounge News

iPhone OS 3.0: June 17, with Find My iPhone, video downloads

In addition to the previously disclosed features of iPhone OS 3.0, Apple today announced that the software—officially launching June 17 worldwide—will now include two new features that were previously rumored: Find My iPhone and direct-to-device video downloads. Find My iPhone relies upon a subscription to Apple’s MobileMe service to let users automatically create sound and text alerts on their lost devices, helping them to either find the devices themselves or inform their finders as to their presence and return details. Users can send out noises that are audible even if the iPhone’s ringer switch has been turned off; they can also completely wipe the iPhone from afar, and use the integrated GPS functionality to locate the device’s current position on a map.

iPhone OS 3.0 also adds video downloads, a feature that enables the iPhone to wirelessly download movies, TV shows, and other video content without being connected to a computer. The feature also adds audiobook download support to the iPhone’s integrated iTunes Store for the first time, and permits direct-from-device video rentals as well.

« AT&T: 3G Upgraders pay $200 more for iPhone 3GS

iPhone 3G 8GB price drops to $99 »

Comments

Was very surprised that Keynote did not even mention that 3.0 includes the A2DP Bluetooth profile for wireless headphones.  Also surprised that tethering feature was glossed over.

Posted by Michael Lubofsky on June 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

Any news about the following headset - will it have authentification like the shuffle?

Posted by frederik jorgensen on June 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

AT&T;Drops the ball again.(NO MMS OR TETHERING CURRENTLY). Apple, thanks for giving me no reason to want to upgrade. No need for video, voice or compass. Or faster speeds, my phone is fast enough here in Cali. Glad I got a nice refurb deal on my 3G for $99, I wound up paying the same price! And the phone was in MINT condition. So thanks for not making me desire the new iPhoen3GS, I just want PUSH.

Posted by Chris on June 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

3.0 for touch as well? Also on June 17? Price for OS update? I’ve been looking all over the reporting on the keynote, and I haven’t seen answers to the above questions. Anyone?

Posted by jimlat on June 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I have the touch 1st gen. I just read that most of the improvements in 3.0 will not be worth the 9.95 again.

Wondering though if the TomTom GPS is only for the iPhone. Anyone know??

Posted by Brian on June 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I’d have to imagine that video download is WIFI only right?  Can’t imagine EDGE or 3G download allowed since they capped Podcast downloads to 10mb in the past.

Bet they glossed over tethering since they know AT&T;will not allow it.  Tethering may be more about the Global picture than the local picture and they didn’t want to rub it in our faces too much since we’ll never get it!

I don’t understand the technical reasons behind it, so why does it take time for MMS to go active?  Is AT&T;gonna charge more for MMS texts?  I already think not including ANY texts in with the $30 unlimited data plan is ridiculous and might be the one reason I hold on to my 2G iPhone a little longer.

Posted by TosaDeac on June 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

Whats annoying is the they didn’t include Voice Control to the 3.0 update for current iPhone 3G users.. they are only giving us cut and paste and landscape keyboard, give me break… so in order to get voice control I have to purchase a brand new iPhone 3GS by adding 200$ .... aja!! i’m mad..

Posted by Hansel Jr on June 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

All iphones in Honolulu will be illegal used in vehicles without “Voice Control” effective July under recently passed City & County legislation. Huge fines if you even touch your phone while driving.  How long will tourists put up with this, slapped with punative fines for laws they won’t even know about. Hawaii’s economy is downward spiraling out of control…the Honolulu law and Apple’s failure to solve this concern for 3G/2G loyal customers will have ugly consequences.

Posted by Barry on June 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

#8: It’s only an issue if it is enforced. We’ve had “hands-free” in California for almost a year and I don’t know anyone who actually got a ticket and only one who got a warning. No one is getting bothered for “touching” their phone to initiate or answer a call on their speakerphone or headset. Bet it will be the same in HI, too.

Posted by Kevin Olson on June 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

I seriously doubt TomTom will be accessible for the iPod touch because most likely it will be a live service like Telenav or the other live services. They have TomTom Go which is live. If you want to get to internet features on the go, you should have gotten an iPhone.

Posted by Christopher Cox on June 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

Any idea of what time it will come out Wednesday?

Posted by thebergs2010 on June 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM (PDT)

yeah exactly what time does the 3.0 software come out on wednesday june 17?

Posted by sarin on June 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM (PDT)

Apple! poor show 17th June no OS3 update, lost faith in your aftersales and customer support, you now join Sky as joint leaders is poor customer relations.

Posted by John335 on June 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM (PDT)

trying to mupdate to os 3.0 but it doesnt show available any ideas what time can we update to 3.0 ????

Posted by mr. MaRucHaN on June 17, 2009 at 1:10 AM (PDT)

Ringing the nearest O2 store here in the UK , they are telling me that it will be available for download from 1pm (UK time) - obviously waiting until the east coast of the US are awake!...

UPDATE: According to my local Apple store the 3.0 release will be timed for around 5pm (UK) to coincide with it’s release on the west coast of US…..

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 17, 2009 at 1:34 AM (PDT)