iPhone OS 3.0 video editing, FM transmission possible?
Based on a number of new reports, iPhone OS 3.0 may offer video editing and recording capabilities, while a next-generation iPhone may debut with 802.11n support, and potentially FM transmission capabilities, as well. Found in the latest beta version of iPhone OS 3.0 (Translated Link), new resource images appear to show graphics needed for video editing purposes: listed under the name “UIMovieScrubber,” the images include what appear to be controls for editing video, including in and out markers. The discovery follows an earlier report that the next-generation iPhone OS appeared set to support both video recording and sharing via MobileMe, the former most likely only on next-generation hardware. DigiTimes recently reported that Apple had placed orders for 3.2-megapixel CMOS image sensors to be used in the next iPhone, which may or may not be tied to the expected new video features.
A separate component specification file found in the new beta release of iPhone OS 3.0 suggests that the next-generation of iPhone and iPod touch hardware will offer not only low-power 802.11n support, but also possibly FM reception and transmission capabilities. Broadcom’s BCM4329 chip is listed in the beta OS along with specifications, which include 802.11 a/b/g/n support, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, and a FM radio receiver and transmitter. Notably, the presence of these features in a new chip does not guarantee that Apple will actually support them with iPhone OS software. The second-generation iPod touch used Broadcom’s earlier BCM4325 chip, which also offered FM reception hardware capabilities, a feature that was never disclosed or enabled by Apple’s software. Whether Apple takes advantage of the BCM4329’s expanded functionality is therefore a question mark, but if so, next-generation iPhones could include 802.11n/a wireless support, the ability to receive FM radio stations, and the ability to broadcast iPod mode audio to in-car stereos—all without additional accessories. [via TUAW]
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada in March?
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014