iPhone OS 4 renamed iOS 4, coming June 21 | iLounge News

iPhone OS 4 renamed iOS 4, coming June 21

Apple today renamed its mobile device operating system, replacing the former iPhone OS moniker with “iOS.” Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced the change during his WWDC keynote address, and used the opportunity to highlight some of iOS 4’s previously revealed features, including multitasking, folders, the unified Mail inbox, rotation lock, and enterprise features like Exchange Server 2010 support, wireless app distribution, mobile device management, data protection, and SSL VPN support. In an update on the new iAd advertising service, Jobs mentioned a number of large brands that have signed on to the service, including Nissan, Citibank, GE, Sears, Target, Best Buy, and others; the service will go live on July 1 for all iOS 4 devices, with $60 million committed for the second half of 2010.

New to the OS will be an option to use Bing search instead of Google or Yahoo!; Jobs also revealed that the 100 millionth iOS device will be sold this month. Developers can download the gold master of iOS 4 beginning today by visiting the iPhone Dev Center; iOS 4 will launch on June 21 as a free upgrade for all applicable products, including the second- and third-generation iPod touch, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS.

« Apple unveils iPhone 4 with front-facing camera, LED flash, more

App Store update: 5 billion downloads, 225,000 apps available »

Comments

I got all the paid updates for my 1st generation iPod touch, but the one update they decide to release for free is the one I can’t get. And now, conveniently enough for Apple, I really want to get a new iPod touch. If anyone is studying how Apple hopes their customers will behave, they should probably just ask me.

I did have an iPod touch before anyone else I knew though.

Posted by Gonzalo on June 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Nah, @Gonzalo, what Apple really wanted was for you to replace your 1st gen iPod Touch with both the 2nd and 3rd generation devices.  I’d say wait until September and get a 4th gen.

Posted by Dyvim on June 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

What does iOS4, mean?

Posted by Simon on June 7, 2010 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

@simon Iphone Operating System 4

Posted by mikelarry85 on June 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

@mikelarry85
@Simon

No, that’s incorrect. The name was changed from iPhone OS to iOS to account for it being on multiple NON-IPHONE devices (iPod Touch & iPad). iOS is simply a mobile OS now.

Posted by Loren Wade on June 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

I am still running version 2 on my 2nd gen touch so will I be able upgrade to iOS 4 from there or will I have to upgrade to Version 3 first. Does any one know?

Posted by Dazzatron on June 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

I fell cheated. When Jobs first presented the iPhone OS 4, they said that my 3g iTouch could run multitasking, and it can’t any more????

Posted by fermaspac on June 8, 2010 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

@fermaspac

Uh… When did Steve say 3rd Gen Touches were no longer supporting multitask? He did talk about some models not supporting all features (likely a reference to 2nd Gens not having multitask) but I don’t remember him explicitly revoking 3rd gen’s access to that feature. Plus, the iOS 4 for touch webpage says it still has it.

Posted by snowy2004 on June 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

is the new free update coming out for the ipod touch too on June,21?

Posted by Spencer on June 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

Ok why does ipod touch 3rd gen users get The mutlitask and Backgrounds and US 2nd Gens (Bought mine in 2009 32gb) Get Spit in Features I Personally want the Multitask and Background. NO wonder they made it free -.- I am not upgrading my ipod over some BS like this

Posted by Mo A. on June 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

i got the new update ios 4 and i like it except i cant do that multitasking and i cant change my home background. can anyone tell me why i cant do that. thanks

Posted by Mookie on June 24, 2010 at 2:15 AM (PDT)

I had updated to IOS4 but after updating my phone can’t go online anymore…. still can’t figure out why…..

Posted by EK on June 24, 2010 at 6:35 AM (PDT)