iPhone OS upgrade poll ends, AT&T poll begins
With over 3,600 votes from iLounge readers, our latest poll—“Will you upgrade your current iPhone OS device to OS 4 if there’s a charge?”—has ended. Users of second- and third-generation iPod touches, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS units, and iPads were given options to say they will or won’t upgrade, with a separate option for those who either don’t own an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, or whose device isn’t compatible with OS 4.
While a majority of users in each device category said they would upgrade, the numbers varied by device, perhaps due to the limited number of new features available to iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch users, as well as the age of the devices. Among second-generation iPod touch users, 71% said they would upgrade if there’s a charge, while 29% said they would not. iPhone 3G users were similarly split, with 68% who said they would upgrade and 32% who said they would not. Third-generation iPod touch users were slightly more likely to upgrade if there’s a charge; 73% said they would upgrade and 27% said they would not. 77% of iPhone 3GS users—the largest user base in the survey—said they would upgrade, while 23% said they would decline. Finally, 87% of iPad users said they would upgrade if there were a charge to do so—something Apple has specifically indicated won’t be the case—while only 13% said they would not. Overall, 7% of readers said either their device wasn’t OS 4 compatible or they didn’t own an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Thanks for all your votes!
Our new poll focuses on AT&T’s new data plans and rates for the iPhone and iPad. We’d like to know how and whether the plans will affect you. Whether you own an iPhone, iPad, or are simply considering a purchase of one of Apple’s AT&T-tied devices, we want to hear your opinion. Our new poll, “How will AT&T’s new iPhone + iPad data plans affect you?” lets you voice that opinion. As always, you can find the iLounge poll in the left-hand column of the main iLounge.com home page. Cast your vote today!
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Happy Easter weekend from iLounge!
- Follow our live coverage of today’s Apple event
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Happy New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day from iLounge!
- Cool tips for that new iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Apple TV you found under the tree
- Walgreens adds digital coupons to Apple Pay
- China orders Apple and others to monitor, report on app users
- South Korea regulators investigating Apple
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 26
- Apple’s UK tax bill under scrutiny
- Apple lays out ‘differential privacy’ plan for data collection
- Report: New iPhone’s space gray to be ‘much darker color’
- Incipio to acquire Skullcandy
- Apple confirms iOS 10 kernel was left open to improve performance
- Apple leaves iOS 10 kernel open to scrutiny
- Philips Hue White Ambience Starter Kit
- Naim Audio Mu-so Qb Speaker
- Phiaton BT 460 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Jaybird Freedom Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Flex Arc Wireless Earbuds + Speakers
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app