iPhone owners experience AC adapter woes | iLounge News

iPhone owners experience AC adapter woes

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, July 27, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

A notable amount of iPhone owners have reported problems with the device’s included AC adapter. Jason O’Grady for ZDNet has posted a similar report, with not only his colleague’s but also his and his wife’s adapters failing. According to reports, the adapters suddenly fail to charge the iPhone, yet the same USB cable that fails when used with the iPhone AC adapter continues to charge the iPhone when connected to a computer or an iPod AC adapter. Several owners have reported success in returning the misbehaving adapters to Apple for replacement units.

« Parliant debuts PhoneValet Anywhere for iPhone

iPhone update coming next week? »

Comments

Yup, mine died 2 days into using it.  Called Apple support and they sent it next day without any questions.  I think they knew about it, because there was no fuss.

Posted by PeteV on July 27, 2007 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

i noticed this with in the first weekend. since then i use the usb cable included just for syncing and use w/my ibook, and use my firewire cable (3rd gen ipod) and wall mount to charge when not attached to the ibook. seems to work fine, i was surprise that they kept the support for firewire, even if only for charging via the wall mount.

just my two cents.

Posted by BIGP in Texas on July 27, 2007 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Mine is also defective. It just didn’t work one day. I called applecare and they immediately shipped one out to me for free and asked me to return the defective one in the same packaging. What’s really odd is that i wasn’t thinking and plugged in my phone to charge it, using the defective one, and it worked again. I haven’t gotten it to work again since. This leads me to believe that it could be partly the phone’s fault. Regarding BIGP’s post, they didn’t keep firewire at all. There is only a USB bus on the iphone. The firewire cable carries power similar to USB 2.0 This is converted to the ipod adapter and it recognized as so. Basically, all the iphone thinks is that it’s connected to a wall socket because it only sees incoming power. Hope this helps. Cheers

Posted by BugDave on July 27, 2007 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

I’ll add a ditto in here as well. About a week after I bought the phone, the AC adapter just stopped working. I tried different outlets in my house. I tried the outlets in my office and I determined that it was dead. Not having had time yet to return it, I tried it again yesterday on a whim and it worked! Very odd. I’ll still call AppleCare though.

Posted by lunarboy on July 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

When trying to FORWARD emails received on IPHONE that include an attachment, the forwarded message drops the attachment when it is received at the other end. Apple Tech support, both Level 1 and Level 2 do not have an answer. They tried it and are having the same problem.

This has occured ob both Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

Anyone have any thoughts or solutions…

Posted by JAMES MC NEIL on July 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

Me, my wife, and my mom all have iPhones and it has happened to all 3 of us!  Whats weird is that it is temporary.  The stock AC adapter didn’t work, tried another outlet and no luck.  Replaced the AC adapter with the Griffin Powerblock (kept the same USB cable) and it worked.  So figured it had to be the AC adapter.  I called Apple and they said I would have to send mine in and would take several weeks to repair.  They would not even talk about replacing, they were talking about REPAIR of my AC adapter.  So I ended up taking it in to the Apple Genius, he plugs my iPhone into my AC adapter, and guess what, it works.
And it has worked fine ever since.  So I do think the iPhone is partly to blame here, not just the adapters.  My wife’s and mom’s iphones also work fine after having one day of being unable to charge at all!

Posted by Brad on July 27, 2007 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

@ Brad
When mine died, I used USB through my laptop and another iPod wall adapter with no issues for charging.  It seemed isolated to the bundled wall adapter with the phone.  Once it died I could not get it to come back.  The new one seems to be working fine.

Posted by PeteV on July 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

Mine stopped working last week… I tried it in every outlet in my house- nothing. I reset the phone, still nothing.

I talked to a rep at my local Apple store, he said “A few other people have brought in theirs too..bring it in, and if it dosen’t work, we can swap one out for you”. I brought it in, and it worked fine. He first tried it in the horizontal outlets at the Genius Bar, then tried a standard vertical one… both worked fine.

He reset my phone, and tried again… still worked. So he said “Without it failing in the store, I can’t give you a new one”... so I took it home, and it’s worked fine since.

Posted by AnthonyJTa on July 28, 2007 at 1:43 PM (PDT)