iPhone requires Cingular contract; No other carriers anytime soon | iLounge News

iPhone requires Cingular contract; No other carriers anytime soon

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, January 11, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

The iPhone will require a two-year Cingular service plan, according to reports. “We spoke with Cingular and confirmed that Apple’s new iPhone will require a two-year cell phone plan and will not be sold without it,” reports the San Francisco Chronicle’s Ellen Lee. At a CES press conference in Las Vegas following the iPhone’s introduction, Cingular confirmed that customers must agree to a two-year contract in order to buy the iPhone, even if that requires customers to renew their current service plan with the company. Cingular also said that the company’s exclusive rights to sell the iPhone is a “multi-year agreement in the U.S.,” meaning the device won’t be offered by other carriers anytime soon.

« Mophie offers Wraptor case for 2G iPod nano

Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name »

Comments

Cingular is almost as bad as congress, maybe worse. T-Mobile sucks a little less, but they actually have people that answer the “customer service” line, unlike Cingular where you stay on hold for 30-40 minutes to talk to some punk ### kid popping their gum in your ear. This IS a cool looking product and I LOVE Apple, but I would rather listen to CBS News or date Rosie O’Donnel than sign up with Cingular, just my 2 pennies…...

Posted by jumpcuts on January 11, 2007 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

No matter all the ######## that you all do, it’s not going to change the fact that Cingular and Apple have agreed to the contract.

So while you all #####, I will be using the iPhone to make fun of you all.

This is perfect for me.  I get to upgrade my phone in April but I can hold off until June and I can save up the 500 or 600 dollars to get it.

Posted by Warbrain on January 12, 2007 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

““According to the Consumer Report, Cingular has some of the worst cell phone service in America and the most dissatisfied customers.  Its a stunt to get more people to sign up with Cingular.  But for many people it would cost $175-$200 disconnection fee + $499.99-$599.99 phone + the likely $80-100/month + 2 year contract…...thats ALOT of money for a damn phone.  I think its gonna flop cuz as nice as it is I wouldn’t even think twice or EVER even consider switching to Cingular for it.  I’m sure I don’t stand alone.”“

I agree 100%. Having had Cingular, at least where I live, it’s quite possibly the worst option out there. iPhone is neat, but not worth using Cingular for.

Posted by sspiro on January 12, 2007 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

“Oh, there are other phones with all the same features?  Show me one with a widescreen touchscreen iPod that’s compatible with iTunes and I’ll buy it now”.

Ryan… It’s called a TREO!
- It has an SD card slot (up to 4GB, but you can carry as many cards as you like, unlike the capped iPhone memory).
- It sync’s with iTunes via a 3rd party app’ called “iTunes Agent” (Google it!)
- It has a built in media player from Windows, for which an iPod skin is available.
- It has a wide touchscreen.
- Using TCPMP (the core pocket media player, an open source app) it will play AAC files.
- TCPMP will also play videos.
- The battery lasts longer than current iPods.

So, I suggest you rush out and buy it now!

Posted by Dopial on January 12, 2007 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

Unfortunately for me (and millions of others), Cingular does not sell or provide service in our area.  Our choices are T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular.  Perhaps it will change now that AT&T is back in charge of Cingular.

I’m not sure how Apple will reach their expected iPhone market penetration numbers when they limit access to Cingular subscribers.

Posted by locked_out on January 12, 2007 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

“Hey Wha—s u—p? SCHRECHHHHHH *static static* ::DROP:: HELLO? HELLO….???  ARE YOU THERE?....”  I LOVE Cingular the FEWEST DROPPED CALLS! BECAUSE YOU CAN NEVER MAKE ANY!!

Posted by vcurams87 on January 12, 2007 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

...the FEWEST DROPPED CALLS! BECAUSE YOU CAN NEVER MAKE ANY!!

LOL! Me…I’ll never go back, whatever they choose to call it.

Posted by flatline response on January 12, 2007 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

What he said, Cingular has been telling me for 4 years they will provide service in my area.

I had so hoped this would be released to all carriers or at least a big one like Verizon.

Darn!

Posted by Gary Zero on January 18, 2007 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2