iPhone SDK coming ‘in February’ | iLounge News

iPhone SDK coming ‘in February’

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

In an update posted to Apple’s web site today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has confirmed that the company does plan on releasing a Software Development Kit for the iPhone and iPod touch, and that it will be “in developers’ hands in February.” Jobs goes on to explain the delayed release of the SDK, saying: “It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc…. We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.” Currently, the only way to run third-party native applications on the iPhone and iPod touch is through the unauthorized jailbreaking of the devices.

« XtremeMac unveils Tango Studio Audio System for iPod

OtterBox debuts OtterBox for iPhone »

Comments

It would appear that this would do nothing for homebrew, as all applications will have to be digitally signed and “approved” by apple. So, it’s a good thing, sure, but I want homebrew too. Also, Apple will have the ability to block applications it doesn’t want on the iPod touch, such as a third party Notes, Maps, etc. If Apple doesn’t want it, we won’t get it. The virus threat seems like classic FUD to me. Perhaps Apple should start restricting OS X to Apple-approved applications, to keep us sheep “safe”.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on October 17, 2007 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

Okay, first, you’re jumping to conclusions. Jobs said that Nokia’s digitally-signed-apps are a “step in the right direction,” not the be-all end-all solution. How about we wait until February and THEN call out what they’re coming up with?

And, excuse me? The virus threat is FUD? Maybe from someone else, but *because of Apple’s corporate image,* they automatically become a higher-profile target. Remember how much sensationalist trash was posted after the Month of Apple Bugs? After the *LAB-PRODUCED* iChat virus? After the Hack-a-Mac challenge - which took two full days and required simulated user action?

As much as I hate to say this about *any* company, Apple being Apple makes the “virus threat” fair justification.

Posted by Jeremy Avalon on October 17, 2007 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

Go to Apple’s website, search the word “virus” and tell me again why Apple is using the virus protection mumbo jumbo to justify their newfound greediness. Apple is putting the clamp down, pure and simple.  This whole SDK project will wind up costing iPhone users $10 a pop to download ‘pre-approved’ applications from iTunes, and chances are Apple will continue to play overload and brick phones when their users try to circumvent. Nowadays, its Apple’s way or the highway…sad but true.

Posted by Jason on October 17, 2007 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

Because if it’s NOT Apple’s way or the highway, you end up with a Windows handheld device.

Posted by Multimoog on October 17, 2007 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

(This is a different Jason than #3)

How can this be seen as anything other than a HUGE victory?!? I never bought the virus crap, but I still didn’t begrudge Apple their position. After all, they have built their company on relatively closed platforms, or at least controlling more aspects of their products than competing companies do. They do it for various reasons, not the least of which is monetary (after all, they are a company trying to make a buck or two).

My biggest gripe with Apple wasn’t the relatively closed platform but the COMPLETELY CLOSED platform. I didn’t understand why Apple themselves wouldn’t distribute 3rd-party apps, alla iPod games. There was NO way to get 3rd-party apps onto the iPhone, Apple-approved or otherwise. This fills a huge void, and I can’t believe anyone would have a problem with it, especially since we know next to nothing about the specs/restrictions.

Way to go Apple! This was long overdue.

Posted by jasonact on October 17, 2007 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

yesssss,... hot stufff….. I LOVE IT…

Finally i can setup me a webserver at home with several webcams and a custome interface for my IPhone for 24/7 Live home survilance with no charge wink

hot stuff

Posted by dennis on October 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

@ Dennis: I wanted the same thing for my car. Ppl are always running into it and driving off. I was waiting for Bug Labs to drop thier OS hardware platform but maybe now iPhone can do it.

I’m starting to feel better about my iPhone. I was having serious iRemorse ‘till I heard about the SDK.

Posted by Octal040 on October 17, 2007 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

Let’s hope that by Feb there’s some indication of whether there will be a second gen Touch or iPhone in the coming months… if so I’d sure as heck jump on the iPhone bandwagon if there will be third party apps on it

I have high hopes, glad to see things are working out in the right direction… still no iPhone or touch for me though *taps his foot*

Posted by Toleran on October 17, 2007 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

Hi. I currently have an unlocked iphone in Asia.  Can anyone tell me what effect(s) the upcoming SDK will or will not make on my phone?

Thanx

Posted by jojoc on October 17, 2007 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

This is big news! We will see a flow of apps for the Touch starting in Spring/Summer. Can’t wait!

Posted by Tom on October 17, 2007 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

One iPhone weakness fixed. 999 to go.

Posted by The Doctor on October 18, 2007 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

“We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.”

Years?  Really?

Posted by Me on October 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM (PDT)