iPhone SDK: Enterprise, SDK apps coming in June 2.0 software update
Amongst numerous other announcements related to the iPhone and iPod touch software roadmap, Apple today announced that version 2.0 of the iPhone and iPod touch software will arrive in June of this year, bringing with it features designed to support corporate and enterprise customers, as well as downloadable applications developed using a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK). The 2.0 software, which will be available to certain of Apple’s enterprise customers on a test basis before June, will enable users to download iPhone and iPod touch applications through a section of the Mac and PC iTunes Store called the App Store, as well as directly via a new iPhone and iPod touch App Store icon, which parallels the iTunes Wi-Fi Store designed specifically for software applications. Apple will replace the current iTunes icon on iPhones and iPod touches with one that stays purple but features a musical note in the center, while the App Store will gain the same icon, only in blue, and with an applications icon in the center.
Enterprise features announced by Apple today include integrated support for Microsoft Exchange servers via ActiveSync, improved Cisco IPsec VPN functionality, enterprise class wireless features with support for 802.1x and WPA2 security, and the ability to protect data if an iPhone is stolen. Most interestingly, ActiveSync has been licensed by Apple from Microsoft for installation on the iPhone, such that the 2.0 software update will enable business users to receive “push” e-mail, contact, and calendar data without manual checking or physical synchronization; each can be sent directly from an Exchange server to the iPhone, wherever it is connected to an EDGE or Wi-Fi network. Similar push technology will enable a company to wipe an iPhone clean of data automatically if it is stolen. No new iPhone applications will be needed to use these features; the existing e-mail, calendar, and contacts applications will handle pushed data.
Apple’s 2.0 software update will be free of charge for iPhone owners and available for a “nominal” fee to iPod touch users.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?