iPhone SDK: Enterprise, SDK apps coming in June 2.0 software update
Amongst numerous other announcements related to the iPhone and iPod touch software roadmap, Apple today announced that version 2.0 of the iPhone and iPod touch software will arrive in June of this year, bringing with it features designed to support corporate and enterprise customers, as well as downloadable applications developed using a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK). The 2.0 software, which will be available to certain of Apple’s enterprise customers on a test basis before June, will enable users to download iPhone and iPod touch applications through a section of the Mac and PC iTunes Store called the App Store, as well as directly via a new iPhone and iPod touch App Store icon, which parallels the iTunes Wi-Fi Store designed specifically for software applications. Apple will replace the current iTunes icon on iPhones and iPod touches with one that stays purple but features a musical note in the center, while the App Store will gain the same icon, only in blue, and with an applications icon in the center.
Enterprise features announced by Apple today include integrated support for Microsoft Exchange servers via ActiveSync, improved Cisco IPsec VPN functionality, enterprise class wireless features with support for 802.1x and WPA2 security, and the ability to protect data if an iPhone is stolen. Most interestingly, ActiveSync has been licensed by Apple from Microsoft for installation on the iPhone, such that the 2.0 software update will enable business users to receive “push” e-mail, contact, and calendar data without manual checking or physical synchronization; each can be sent directly from an Exchange server to the iPhone, wherever it is connected to an EDGE or Wi-Fi network. Similar push technology will enable a company to wipe an iPhone clean of data automatically if it is stolen. No new iPhone applications will be needed to use these features; the existing e-mail, calendar, and contacts applications will handle pushed data.
Apple’s 2.0 software update will be free of charge for iPhone owners and available for a “nominal” fee to iPod touch users.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards