iPhone SDK: Enterprise, SDK apps coming in June 2.0 software update | iLounge News

iPhone SDK: Enterprise, SDK apps coming in June 2.0 software update

Amongst numerous other announcements related to the iPhone and iPod touch software roadmap, Apple today announced that version 2.0 of the iPhone and iPod touch software will arrive in June of this year, bringing with it features designed to support corporate and enterprise customers, as well as downloadable applications developed using a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK). The 2.0 software, which will be available to certain of Apple’s enterprise customers on a test basis before June, will enable users to download iPhone and iPod touch applications through a section of the Mac and PC iTunes Store called the App Store, as well as directly via a new iPhone and iPod touch App Store icon, which parallels the iTunes Wi-Fi Store designed specifically for software applications. Apple will replace the current iTunes icon on iPhones and iPod touches with one that stays purple but features a musical note in the center, while the App Store will gain the same icon, only in blue, and with an applications icon in the center.

Enterprise features announced by Apple today include integrated support for Microsoft Exchange servers via ActiveSync, improved Cisco IPsec VPN functionality, enterprise class wireless features with support for 802.1x and WPA2 security, and the ability to protect data if an iPhone is stolen. Most interestingly, ActiveSync has been licensed by Apple from Microsoft for installation on the iPhone, such that the 2.0 software update will enable business users to receive “push” e-mail, contact, and calendar data without manual checking or physical synchronization; each can be sent directly from an Exchange server to the iPhone, wherever it is connected to an EDGE or Wi-Fi network. Similar push technology will enable a company to wipe an iPhone clean of data automatically if it is stolen. No new iPhone applications will be needed to use these features; the existing e-mail, calendar, and contacts applications will handle pushed data.

Apple’s 2.0 software update will be free of charge for iPhone owners and available for a “nominal” fee to iPod touch users.

image

image

image

image

image

« iPhone SDK: Electronic Arts’ Spore, Sega’s Monkey Ball shown for iPhone

Live from Apple’s iPhone Software Roadmap Event [full details inside] »

Comments

can u say an installer.app rip off.

Posted by Dhruv on March 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM (CST)

Exactly Dhruv!  Apple is going to have to offer some great apps and new features at reasonable rates if they want me to give up the good things I already have.

Posted by Cogitator X on March 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM (CST)

Once again, they leave the Touch users to pay for the new update!

Posted by silky0477 on March 6, 2008 at 3:16 PM (CST)

Orignally I had considered not jailbreaking my iPod touch be aide I thought apple my have iPod touch users in mind but after today screw this. I understand that u have to recooperate money from touch users because we dont pay a monthly fee but I will not b held hostage everytime apple does an update giving me a nag screen an iTunes that consta fly asks u to upgrade for a nominal fee. I’m jailbreaking tonight.

Posted by Travis on March 6, 2008 at 3:32 PM (CST)

Travis…

Huh?

(perhaps a wee bit of proof-reading is in order before clicking submit, no?)

Posted by mwilgar on March 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM (CST)

Where are tasks?

Posted by pg on March 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM (CST)

“...an iTunes that consta fly asks u to upgrade…” LOL

i totally agree.

Posted by 3ntr0py on March 6, 2008 at 5:07 PM (CST)

Can you say ‘bull****’ ??  Go on apple, keep screwing over your touch customers like this and start watching them jump ship slowly but surely…...

Posted by Huskerz85 on March 6, 2008 at 6:24 PM (CST)

screw you apple…i wasnt gonna jailbreak but i just changed my mind

Posted by bcoy on March 6, 2008 at 7:52 PM (CST)

Touch owners, get over yourselves. if you’re buying touches, you should have the discretionary income to buy the update.  if not, then maybe a touch wasn’t a priority.  apple will be just fine without the net whiners.

Posted by Sean on March 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM (CST)

Face it Touch owner will be nickel and dimed to death with every ‘software upgrade’ and current iPhone owner will enjoy free upgrades until iPhone 2.0 comes out.  Then the current smug iPhone owner can either buy the newest iPhone or join the Touch owner in the BOHICA line.  Touch owners are the lab rats to determine how much can cash can be squeezed out of a person before they decide to ignore the offer of a ‘software update’ for a ‘minimal fee’ or jailbreak the device to enjoy the same features without the ease of use using iTunes.

Just be glad there is a jailbreak option and apps to run on the Touch.  Without them i wonder if this past month’s update would have been available at all.

As a touch owner I will be purchasing the ‘pay for play’ update to get the apps I want on the Touch.  I won’t like another $20.00 ‘upgrade’ but will drop my pants one more time if it comes to that—I’m hoping for a TRUE minimal fee of something like $1.99.

I’m trying to be pragmatic about these turn of events, but if Apple has it’s hand out for every feature they add to the iPhone for free I’ll just stick with this next update until Touch 2.0 (which WILL be out this fall in 32 and 64 GB flavors).

Posted by Takeo on March 7, 2008 at 12:42 AM (CST)

Takeo,

Why don’t you and the many other whiners understand that iPhone users are paying Apple $10 a month, and therefore the upgrades should be free for us.  Touch users just cheaped out, and are now whining that they have to pay $20, whoop-de-do, I pay $95 a month for my iPhone, and deserve the upgrades.  Get over it.

Posted by MatrixSJD on March 7, 2008 at 3:09 AM (CST)

“cheaped out”?  Really?  No chance that just maybe it had to do with (totally specualting here) the iPod Touch owners didn’t want or need a cell phone?

Why make this an “us vs. them” issue over prices of two different products?

Posted by mwilgar on March 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM (CST)

I jailbroke 2 nights ago and I’m a very happy man!  You have to remember that Jobs started out as a hacker.  Apple wanted the jailbreak but they just want to put the breaks on it… not stop it entirely.  There’s some amazing little apps for this puppy!  Why wait?  Jailbreak!

Posted by Mike on March 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM (CST)

I am waiting for a 3G iphone and native apps.  I will also have to determine if the price Apple will charge for monthly service is worth it. If data plan stays the same I’ll get an iPhone once the required native apps I need are available.

I did not go ‘cheap’, I actually received it as a gift.  The week after I received it the upgrade became available for $20.00.  I bought it thinking ‘okay one time shot to make it on par with the iPhone….’ (Those apps should have been there from the get-go IMHO).  Now we hear we will be charged again to enable native apps?  I would not be as wary of Apple’s behavior if the updates were $1.99 or some ‘minimal’ fee.  If it costs $20.00 each time, questions should be asked by the customers (note this is more of a custormer relations issue rather than a legal one).

Apple did not indicate indicate that updates would cost money for the Touch nor had they charged for updates for any ipod in the past.  Seems like Sarbanes-Oxley is referred to by the press as the reason to justify charging for any enhancement of capabilities that was not available at the time of sale (Apple seems to imply in past statements they don’t WANT to charge, but the accounting rules MADE them charge as in the case of the wireless router).  Why then, was there no charge for the gapless playback ‘upgrade’ for those who received it for the 5G iPod as it was initially only a feature for the 5.5G ipod?  Other companies add features to devices not present originally for free:  Microsoft just added tons of features to the original Zune not present at the time of sale and charged nothing.  Sony added a ton of software and capabilities (Skpe, etc) to the PSP which was not present at the time of sale and charged nothing.  Makes a Touch owner wonder if they aren’t getting the shaft.

Call it whining or not getting over ourselves but I’d like a little more detail on why ‘upgrades’ are being charged for on a regular basis when other companies with similar produts don’t.  If it’a money grab, then indicate such and buyer beware.  If it’s an accounting thing, maybe a change in the way accounting is performed can be made; making it similar to the practices of Microsoft and Sony so that upgrades become free and Apple won’t be ‘forced’ to charge.

Ignore this post if you see it as whining, but this could be the first shot over the bow from Apple—They may be implementing pay-for-play upgrades on a lot of other products in the near future.

Posted by Takeo on March 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

No more complaining.  Either fork over the money for the update or don’t.  And regarding Apple possibly doing this in the future for other products, if it bothers you that much, choose another manufacturer and other products.  I swear… People will wait in line for three days for a $400 device but b*tch and moan over $20, when they waste that much getting snacks over the course of a month at the gas station.

Posted by KC on April 24, 2008 at 11:35 AM (CDT)