iPhone SDK hits 100K downloads in four days
Apple has announced that more than 100,000 developers have downloaded the iPhone Software Development Kit in the first four days since its launch on March 6. The iPhone SDK provides developers with the software tools necessary to create native applications for the iPhone and iPod touch. “Developer reaction to the iPhone SDK has been incredible with more than 100,000 downloads in the first four days,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Also, over one million people have watched the launch video on Apple.com, further demonstrating the incredible interest developers have in creating applications for the iPhone.” During the software roadmap event, Apple also previewed the App Store, which will allow developers to wirelessly deliver their applications to every iPhone and iPod touch user. Several leading developers have demonstrated apps made using the SDK, and overall developer response continues to be positive.
“The iPhone SDK gives us the tools we need to create powerful iPhone applications and is an important part of our overall mobile strategy,” said Rick Jensen, senior vice president, Small Business Group at Intuit. “We’re excited that the iPhone expands the ways our customers can solve key financial tasks wherever they might be.”
“We’re very excited about Apple’s new SDK and reaching every iPhone user through the new App Store,” said Scott Rubin, vice president, Sales and Marketing, Namco Networks. “We can’t wait to show off great new versions of arcade classics like PAC-MAN and Galaga that use the revolutionary features of the iPhone and iPod touch.”
“Apple’s tools have provided our development team the flexibility to make the SuitePhone application richer and deeper,” said Luke Braud, vice president, Software Development, NetSuite. “NetSuite is excited at the opportunity to give every iPhone customer access to their critical business data anytime, anywhere.”
“Apple’s become an important mobile game platform with the iPhone SDK,” said Jason Kapalka, co-founder and Chief Creative Officer, PopCap. “The new SDK gives us the tools to innovate and reinvent games like Bejeweled, Zuma and Peggle. With the new App Store we can reach every iPhone and iPod touch user on the planet.”
“Seventy percent of the retail price is hands-down the best deal out there in mobile. It’s simple and motivating for developers,” said Wayne B. Yurtin, president and CEO, Rocket Mobile, Inc. “We can’t wait to get our first iPhone applications on the revolutionary App Store.”
“Six Apart pioneered the mobile blogging experience with an iPhone-optimized blog service,” said Chris Alden, CEO, Six Apart. “We’re taking it to the next level with our native iPhone application for TypePad that’s already in development.”
“The iPhone is the mobile platform game developers have been dreaming of,” said Scott Zerby, vice president, THQ Wireless. “We’re looking at how we can use the iPhone’s innovative user interface to create new game experiences for our big brand entertainment partners that consumers love.”
The iPhone beta SDK is available as a free download for registered developers via Apple’s website.
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?