iPhone smartphone market share dips in Q4
The iPhone saw its share of the worldwide smartphone market shrink in the fourth quarter of 2009, according to a new report. Citing data from ABI Research, the Wall Street Journal reports that the iPhone’s share of worldwide smartphone sales dipped from 18.1% in the third quarter to 16.6% in the fourth quarter, despite the fact that iPhone sales increased 18% to 8.7 million units during the same time period. According to the report, the overall smartphone market grew 26% in the fourth quarter, with Motorola introducing its first Android-based phones and Nokia Oyj increasing sales by 4.6 million units. The last time the iPhone lost market share was in the fourth quarter of 2008, suggesting that the dip in worldwide sales may be a cyclical occurrence based in part on Apple’s traditional mid-year iPhone introductions, which offer opportunities for competitors to release new models later in the year.
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?