iPhone Software 2.0 unofficially released | iLounge News

iPhone Software 2.0 unofficially released

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, July 10, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

Although it has yet to be officially released by Apple via iTunes, iPhone Software 2.0 can now be downloaded through a direct link. After downloading the software image, users need to make sure the downloaded file ends in “.ipsw”, as some browsers, including Safari, will add an unnecessary “.zip” extension to the file name. You may need to look in your trash can to find the file if it is downloaded by Safari and automatically uncompressed. Once the image is ready, hold the Option key and press “Check for Update” in iTunes with the iPhone connected, browse to and select the downloaded image, and the update will commence. This image is not for use with the iPod touch, which will require a $9.99 paid update to get the 2.0 software.

Note: Apple warns in a recently posted Knowledge Base article that installation of iPhone Software 2.0 requires a complete erase of the device: “Normally if you choose to update, the iPhone or iPod touch software is updated but your settings and media are not affected. If your device currently has a software version prior to 2.0 (1.x) and you are updating to software version 2.0 or later, all data on your device will be erased in order to perform install the new software. In this case, iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup.” [via Mac Rumors]

« Apple rolls out Apple TV Software 2.1 [updated]

Apple posts iPhone Configuration Utility for enterprise »

Comments

On a PC, the equivalent of “Option” is “Shift/Ctrl”

Posted by Byron Taylor on July 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

If I am using a jailbroken first-gen 8gb iPhone (1.1.4), will the 2.0 firmware brick my iPhone? Have any first-gen jailbreakers tried 2.0 yet? I’m hearing that it will definitely wipe out whatever pictures, music, videos and ringtones you have.

Posted by Steve-0 on July 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

If this seems to take a long time to “prepare” your iPhone for update, don’t worry, it does work but the entire process can take a good five minutes or so.  Just FYI…  smile

Posted by skadiwolf on July 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

A jailbroken phone will be fine as with typical updates, it’ll just erase the Installer and all your free apps that are already on the phone.  The article above mentions that this version will, unlike previous, completely wipe your phone, but that seems to be just something in the update itself.  I got my iPhone on the second day and it was jailbroken and this update worked just beautifully!  Remember, the entire point of the iPhone was to give third party developers direct access to creating software.  Why would Apple want to brick your phone and deny you that?

Remember to update iTunes to 7.7 first and just be patient.  As I said in a previous post, it can take a good solid five minutes or so when it’s looking at “preparing your iPhone for update” and when it’s “verifying the iPhone update”, but it does work.  Just breathe, relax, and go get a glass of water…or two.

Posted by skadiwolf on July 10, 2008 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

So basically, it will re-lock my iphone to how it was when I first bought it but with the 2.0 firmware? If it erases my installer, will there be a new installer to download for 2.0?

Posted by Steve-0 on July 10, 2008 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

A new feature from 2.0 is that you can actively be on your iphone while it is syncing you can take and make calls, the apps showed up as they were added. I was listening to AOL radio while it syncs.  This is nice so now you wont miss a call if the phone was in sync mode.

Posted by phil on July 10, 2008 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

I did it early this morning then went download crazy from the Appstore. Works fine but backup your phone before you do it if you don’t want to loose things in cal, notes, etc.

Posted by Brian on July 10, 2008 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

Anyone know what the appropriate link is for the iPod Touch then? Yes, I know the update comes at a price but does anyone know how to get to that point yet?

Posted by Steve on July 10, 2008 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

AHH… Ok I followed the directions and I unzipped my file… it’s in the ipsw format… I held the option button, and i’m trying to figure out how to get it to let me select the .ipsw file… My open button wont highlight… what do i do!?

Posted by Rachel Andersen on July 10, 2008 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

thank u very much for ur help..its really working..but only thing i lost all my songs,vids,nd potos

Posted by sasi on July 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

FYI, the update can be installed on Windows by pressing the “Shift” key while clicking the “Check for Update” button.

Posted by Neo Anderson on July 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

DO NOT uzip the file that you download. Just take the .zip off the end of the file name. Really intuitive right?  ; > )

Posted by Big Man on July 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

Don’t do it - it takes about 10 minutes and lock your iPhone - except for emergency calls

Posted by zimmerman on July 10, 2008 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

When and where can i get the iPod Touch 2.0 firmware!

Posted by Rudy on July 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

I tried 3 times and kept getting the error “unknown error (5)”

Posted by Steve on July 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I followed the instructions and almost immediately my iPhone said it needed to be restored.  Fortunately It was backed up yesterday si I did not lose anything.  I didn’t update iTunes first, perhaps that will fix it.

Posted by Chrystopher on July 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

The back-up of your phone is made automatically by the installer.  The installer will not prompt you before the update; however, after the update it will ask if you want to configure the phone as a new device or restore the iPhone from the back-up.

Posted by James Mitchell on July 10, 2008 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

15 minutes start to finish.  Nary a problem!

Posted by Mustang Paul on July 10, 2008 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

the first time i did it my phone locked and had to be restored. second time worked fine. been surfing the app store and using the remote feature successfully for a few hours now.

Posted by rwalton on July 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

I checked for an iTunes updated before attempting the iPhone upgrade, was told that the latest update was installed… and proceeded to lock up my phone. However, it was easily restored from a current backup. After restoring my iPhone, I was able to upgrade to iTunes 7.7 (aha! It had not been the latest update when I started out). No hitches after that. Seemed to take a long time, but no longer than the 10-15 minutes mentioned by others. I did not lose a single thing: all music, videos, podcasts, playlists, notes, contacts, photos, old web apps - everything - was intact along with the new goodies that are part of 2.0. The first time I tried syncing applications, the sync had an “unknown error” - and I momentarily thought it was back to square one, but it synced fine on a retry and on numerous syncs since then as I’ve been having loads of fun in the app store. Amazing fun stuff, yet it is still incredible to me that cut & paste is still not available! Whoever figures out how to make that happen - I’ll buy!

Posted by janis on July 10, 2008 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >