iPhone Software 2.2 features emoji, Google Street View, more | iLounge News

iPhone Software 2.2 features emoji, Google Street View, more

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 6, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

Developers have found a number of features hidden in iPhone Software 2.2, which is currently in beta and was recently updated and seeded to developers. Although the release notes list only “compatibility testing” as the only change, according to Mac Rumors, developers have found some new features hidden in iPhone’s framework files. A number of hidden Japanese emoji icons were found, which if implemented will answer one of the most common complaints about the iPhone from Japanese users, support for Street View in the Google Maps application, and a new toggle in the iPhone’s keyboard settings to turn Auto-Correction on and off. Apple has yet to announce a firm release date for iPhone Software 2.2.

« NPD: iPhone 3G lures customers, boosts Apple’s smartphone share

Fring becomes first official free VoIP app for iPhone, iPod touch »

Comments

being relatively new to the iphone I think my biggest complaint is texting and email can’t be landscaped. Perhaps I am missing something.

Fix that please.

Googles street would be cool as I know my house is mapped.

Posted by Scott Carroll on October 6, 2008 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

COPY and PASTE where the hell are you!?

Posted by Jonathan Hoffman on October 6, 2008 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

sweet…. APPLE will not let us down,.. just give APPLE sometime guys wink

Posted by dennis on October 6, 2008 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

+1 for Copy and Paste functions.  Extremely shocked not to see this when I purchased mine.

Posted by G on October 6, 2008 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Re: copy/paste.
You did notice that web pages are rendered as images rather than text. Imagine how awful scrolling down a page would be if you were constantly accidentally highlighting picking up text.

There must be a solution (a gesture or switch to text button) but given the simplicity of iPhone’s browser will probably remain hidden.

Posted by Apester on October 6, 2008 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Where do you use emoji ?

Looks really nice…

Posted by ramasaurus on October 6, 2008 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

I’ll throw my hat in on the cut and paste function. But how often have we requested that? It seems like it may have gone the way of putting radio in an iPod…not that hard to do, but beyond what Apple would like to do.

One other feature: push for other apps? So I can keep my instant messaging applications online without having to actually have the app available? Any thoughts on that happening?

Posted by Dave on October 6, 2008 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

v2.1 finally fixed the disaster that was v2.0x (perpetual reboots, anyone?). I’ll be very wary before updating to v2.2.

Posted by Dale Reeck on October 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

still missing copy and paste, still missing landspace mode for text messages and email.. i hate writing in vertical on the iphone… its so anoying

Posted by Fernando on October 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

I’m hoping that they fix the bug that came with 2.1. that stopped hyperlinks (in webapps) opening the Wireless iTunes App Store.

I use a number of webapps that review apps and games. I used to be able to click a link and it would open on the apps specific page in the Wireless App Store, but not anymore.

Posted by Fox Tucker on October 14, 2008 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

My E-Mail to Parrot Support:
I bought my iPhone when it had a prev. version. It worked just excellent with my
Parrot ck3100 4.18 v until I the 2.1 v came out for iphone , as soon as I uploaded the new version it went all upside down. It pairs fine, but when I receive a call I press the green button on parrot and it transfers calls to my iPhone, not only that, also I press green button again to be transferee to parrot and it won’t let me. The same way is when I am trying to make a call and it transfers me to the phone, and I can’t hear anything on my iPhone, in order to hear something I have to click on - source - iPhone , after that I can hear on my iPhone but still not on parrot. Any help would be much appreciated…

Answer from Parrot Support:“This is a known issue w/ Apple’s current software 2.1. They are aware of the issue and should be releasing an update that should fix the problem within the coming weeks…”

My question : “When an Apple will fix this problem”

Posted by Sergey on October 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

yes i agree with the cut and paste, and changing the landscape for email and text messages. But i would also like to add that they should let the iphone get picture messages too. smile

Posted by Mark on October 26, 2008 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

flash & java would be nice. And hopefully TV.

Posted by Floyd on October 27, 2008 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

Landscape keyboard for texting and email

Posted by bryan on November 2, 2008 at 1:23 AM (PDT)

How about BLUETOOTH
Rather than bluetooth to a headset - ridiculous!

Posted by LeeRoy on November 6, 2008 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

how come no one has mentioned folders?  i have a 16g phone with WAY less than 1g of apps on it, but if i want to add another i have to delete another app to make room. give me the ability to make folders, organise my apps, videos and music into a meaningfull order and ill be a happy man.  ill be even happier when i dont have to spend 2 hours converting my divx vids to work with the iphone too.

Posted by Neil on November 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM (PDT)

Hi Niel,
I hope u are aware of multiple screens on iphone. you can create as many as 16 screens (i guess thats the number, so far i have 5 screens). So that would mean you can have 16 x 16 apps. Do you want more?

Hi ramasaurus, emoji is used here in japan in texting… its an integral part of texting in japan, as we use here msging more than calls (hunt for keitei concept on google)

I am juss waiting for copy paste and multi tasking if possible.

Posted by Rash on November 13, 2008 at 2:52 AM (PDT)

And more Bluetooth profiles, ofcourse

Posted by Rash on November 13, 2008 at 2:54 AM (PDT)

I’m using a Softbank iPhone with the new update… and I can’t see where to use the emoji?? The Japanese keyboard doesn’t have anything new…  (^-^;) Can someone help (*-*)

Posted by Ryan on November 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM (PDT)