iPhone Software 2.2.1 causing iTunes crashes | iLounge News

iPhone Software 2.2.1 causing iTunes crashes

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 2, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

A large number of iPhone users are reporting on Apple’s discussion boards that iTunes crashes upon trying to sync after installation of Software 2.2.1. Interestingly, the crashes do not appear isolated to the iPhone, as some users have reported that iTunes will crash when trying to sync an iPod as well; others have said that the failed syncs have left them with corrupted audio files on the iPhone. Some users have suggested the problem lies with Apple’s DRM, as they have been able to successfully sync all non-DRM’d content. In addition, at least two iPhone users reported being able to sync after downloading application updates through iTunes, however, it is unknown whether this workaround will work for all affected users.

« Sandlot Games releases Cake Mania 3 for Click Wheel iPods

iLounge announces Vestalife 5&5 Speaker Giveaway »

Comments

I had problems with downloading on my iPods.  My Touch 2nd Gens both crashed and had to be reboooted as well as iTunes on my PC.  Not sure of the impact on my music files, but I do have some that seem to be skipping when I never had skipped music before.  These upgrades need to be kink-free before Apple pushes them out to users.

Posted by Darryl from NJ on February 2, 2009 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

I had that happen to a brand new 32 Gig iPod Touch yesterday. Music seems O so far but. Lets see.

Posted by Keith Richards on February 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

Damn it Apple - get your sh-t together!

Posted by snoopy on February 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM (PDT)

Well,.. I don’t have any issues and I’m running vista too wink ...

Posted by dennis on February 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

Dennis, same here.  I also noticed my backups run significantly faster

Posted by Derek on February 2, 2009 at 5:49 PM (PDT)

Well where to begin with the problems with iTunes.

My first issue was with iTunes being real slow with anything. I thought that Apple was the best since they were number 1, but I wonder if Microsoft is doing any better?

My second was having an issue with songs being put into a playlist, but once sync’d, they would disappear from the playlist on the iTouch, and not on iTunes.

I only had an issue this morning with syncing but other than that, nothing tragic.

Posted by Michael V on February 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

the 2.2.1 iPhone update installed fine, like always. No problems syncing iPhone and iTunes, including a bunch of new apps all at the same sync.

dd

Posted by Dan on February 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

I tried updating applications on my iPhone per the few people for whom that worked.  Updating XPlane, Venger, and MoreCowbell, then turning off and restarting the iPhone, then synching, started to work better than before, but ultimately crashed iTunes anyway.  Grr.

Posted by Zander Goss on February 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

No problems on my end.  Everything is running smoothly, and it appears to be a bit faster than before…

Posted by Joseph on February 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

I have no probs with mine. Everything runs fine. smile

Posted by fendushi on February 2, 2009 at 11:34 PM (PDT)

My 1st gen 32gb iPod Touch had issues with the update.  It sat for 20+ minutes “syncing” without doing anything, twice.  The third time I tried syncing, it failed in the middle, which left me with 10gb of the above-mentioned corrupt audio files.  I then performed a full restore (yay 6 hours of syncing) which fortunately did complete successfully.  I haven’t tried to sync since then, so hopefully everything is still fine.

Posted by Beth on February 3, 2009 at 5:24 AM (PDT)

I spent hours on the phone to Apple at the weekend. Everyone there was adamant I was the VERY FIRST person to contact them with this problem. I am delighted to see it get raised on all the gossip and news web sites as well as the forums.

Looking forward to Apples fix for this ASAP.

Posted by Julian on February 3, 2009 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

The 2.2.1 update put my 32gb 2nd generation into permanent recovery mode, and I could not restore it from iTunes.  Apple’s online support has a page for this type of problem, with suggestions.  Most suggestions wouldn’t work, but one did:  I installed iTunes on a different computer, connected my Touch to that computer, and then was able to do the restore.

The restore erased everything on the Touch, but successfully installed the 2.2.1 update.

Then, I plugged the Touch back into my original computer, synced, and 3 hours later all of my music, media, apps, playlists, etc were back on the Touch.

Incidentally, the computer I use with my iTunes and Touch runs Vista, and the other computer I used to restore the Touch runs XP.  I didn’t think the computer’s OS would matter, but I now see that others on iLounge and Apple forums have also had better luck restoring their Touches using an XP computer than using one running Vista.

Let’s pray Windows 7 is better.

Posted by Ron Cronovich on February 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

“Let’s Pray Windows 7 is better?”

I’m no Microsoft fan, but the scapegoating that occurs on this site is almost unbearable at times. When Apple releases buggy software, can we not at least entertain the possibility that the blame lies with Apple? And, unless Apple is prepared to buy back every last iPod sold to a Windows user, let’s stop suggesting that Apple is doing Windows users a favor by supporting the Windows platform. The iPod would have been a non-starter without them.

The last version of iTunes broke AirTunes, a problem Apple acknowledged but failed to fix, and this latest iPhone/iPod Touch software update is creating headaches. Pushing out poorly tested software and firmware updates is, well, very Microsofty…

Posted by ml on February 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

Me too. It crashes on two different first-generation iPhones here. Running 2.2.1 on one, 2.2 on the other. iTunes crashes every time while syncing applications. I tried deleting an app that was syncing while it crashed, and that didn’t help; it just crashed on the next app.

This sucks!

Each time, it installs one more app. I have nine pages of apps, so I guess if I sync a hundred-and-some times, maybe it will stop crashing?

Posted by Sum Jung Gai on February 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Update: Updating apps did not help. However, telling iTunes not to sync any applications to the device did solve the crash. It syncs successfully now. I just don’t have any of my apps!

If I turn Sync Applications back on, it crashes on sync again.

Restoring to Factory condition (ouch) and rebooting the Mac doesn’t help.

Posted by Sum Jung Gai on February 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

Dammit, first my iPhone with 2.2.1 and now my regular 4th gen nano will not sync and causes iTunes to crash.  Apple better fix this ASAP.  I can’t sync any of my runs to Nike+.

Posted by Adam on February 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

HERE’S THE SOLUTION:

(1) Launch iTunes (with your iPhone unplugged so you won’t crash).
(2) Deauthorize Computer.
(3) Authorize Computer.
(4) Plug in your iPhone and sync. It’s fixed.

Gotta love the Internet when it helps you find answers.

Posted by SOLUTION on February 3, 2009 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Apparently, no-one has noticed the major problems which 2.2 and 2.2.1 are seemingly causing with Wifi as well - there are at least 8 threads on it over at Apple Discussions.

And not a peep from Apple, or any of the gossip sites about it so far…

Posted by DA on February 4, 2009 at 3:50 AM (PDT)

Since updating iPhone 3G to 2.2.1, I have been having an issue where I am unable to send text messages or make any calls.  Text messages come up with the basic failed to send error.  Phone calls drop before the dialing even occurs and just simply says call failed.

I was able to access the internet via Safari and through applications, but it is my cell phone first so having internet really only does so much for improving my mood.

This has happened on three different occasions since I upgraded.  I never had this problem before the upgrade.

Posted by TD on February 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >