iPhone Software 2.2.1 causing iTunes crashes | iLounge News

iPhone Software 2.2.1 causing iTunes crashes

A large number of iPhone users are reporting on Apple’s discussion boards that iTunes crashes upon trying to sync after installation of Software 2.2.1. Interestingly, the crashes do not appear isolated to the iPhone, as some users have reported that iTunes will crash when trying to sync an iPod as well; others have said that the failed syncs have left them with corrupted audio files on the iPhone. Some users have suggested the problem lies with Apple’s DRM, as they have been able to successfully sync all non-DRM’d content. In addition, at least two iPhone users reported being able to sync after downloading application updates through iTunes, however, it is unknown whether this workaround will work for all affected users.

« Sandlot Games releases Cake Mania 3 for Click Wheel iPods

iLounge announces Vestalife 5&5 Speaker Giveaway »

Comments

I just installed the update myself, and yes… iTunes crashes every time I try to sync. Then I can’t even quit iTunes without force-restarting my computer (iTunes keeps wanting to open, preventing me from doing a normal restart.)

Very, very, very frustrating. I may have to try SOLUTION’s idea.

Posted by thelottery on February 5, 2009 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

FYI: SOLUTION’s idea worked perfectly:

(1) Launch iTunes (with your iPhone unplugged so you won’t crash).
(2) Deauthorize Computer.
(3) Authorize Computer.
(4) Plug in your iPhone and sync. It’s fixed.

Posted by thelottery on February 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

I can just confirm significant problems with sync to Outlook, very unpleasant experience currently without any solution.Hopefully they will find a very quich solution in Apple to renew its good reputation…

Posted by steamy on February 6, 2009 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

I’m getting “unable to connect to server” messages on Safari, while checking email and now my apps crash a LOT - all since I updated.

Posted by Melanie on February 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

The solution with the de- and reauthorizing worked for me too

Posted by freelander51 on February 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

i was crashing :everytime i tried to sync. i did what is shown above in comment 18:

HERE’S THE SOLUTION:

(1) Launch iTunes (with your iPhone unplugged so you won’t crash).
(2) Deauthorize Computer.
(3) Authorize Computer.
(4) Plug in your iPhone and sync. It’s fixed.

It worked.

Posted by fixed on February 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

Crashes.

Never had a problem until 2.2.1. Now iPhone crashes when listening to a song, or watching a movie. It’s just resets itself to the home screen, and then I notice no signal strength to my 3G provider.

Posted by Peter Martin on February 19, 2009 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

Solution…
(1) Launch iTunes (with your iPhone unplugged so you won’t crash).
(2) Deauthorize Computer.
(3) Authorize Computer.
(4) Plug in your iPhone and sync. It’s fixed.

Appears to work for me - but I need to do it every time I start itunes, otherwise connecting iphone causes itunes to crash (and freeze computer with it).
Original crash happened when trying to update iphone and itunes lost backup, so I’ve lost lots of stuff I’d recently added to iphone. Phoned Apple - no help at all. They got me to uninstall and reinstall all Apple stuff, made no difference at all.
Loz

Posted by Loz on February 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

I have a Ipod Touch 2g and the model is 8gb. I( unfortunatley) downloaded 2.2.1 and now whenever i connect my ipod to my windows vista computer itunes freeze’s but when i take out my ipod itunes recovers and works fine. I am afraid that if I restore to factory settings that all the apps i have and updates for them will be deleted and they all were downloaded straight from my ipod and many apps aren’t backed up to my computer which now whenever i connect my ipod to sync music and backup files itunes freez’s. What should I do, is there a way to downgrade to 2.2 please answer to me in the form of a 13 year old. P.S Tap Tap Revenge 2 is awsome and it’s FREEEEEEEE

Posted by Zack on March 4, 2009 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

I tried point 18, does not work. The only thing I did differently before this problem was link my phone onto a friends PC and iTune software. Any new apllications can now not be sunched with iPhone, downloads, but greyed out. Please help!

Posted by Gardiol on March 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Here is how I TRICKED the Applications which was crashing iTunes and not allowing me to sync the latest mp3 files I added to iTunes.

I signed out of my Apple Store account and I deauthorized my computer. After that I did a normal sync ‘Sync only checked songs and videos’.

iTunes showed the following message: “Some of the purchased items on the iPhone ‘name’  could not be transferred to your iTunes Library because you are not authorized to use them on this computer”. In this way iTunes skips the step in which it tries to sync automatically the purchased items and your iPhone.

The result: my new mp3 files were synced to the iPhone, and the applications were preserved on the iPhone too.

Good luck!

Kay

Posted by Kay on March 15, 2009 at 11:44 AM (PDT)

Removing and restoring authorization didn’t worked for me. But I deleted all the podcasts downloaded directly from iPhone and now it works !

Posted by Bébèrt on March 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

Method suggested by 32 works for me as well. Man, Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Edward on March 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM (PDT)

Bebert you are my hero!

Deleting all the podcasts worked for me too!

Posted by Ike on March 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

#32 worked for me as well.  Thanks very much.

Posted by Mark on March 30, 2009 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

Hi - I now ccan’t play MP4 movies on my iPhone since I upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.2.1…..any ideas on a fix?

Posted by Howard Hopkins on April 9, 2009 at 3:45 AM (PDT)

Why hasn’t apple fixed this problem yet it’s been out since 1-27-09!!

Posted by Amy on April 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

Itunes invites us to dowload and update the IPhone software to version 2.2.1. Happy to have a newer version of the software we accept the offer. After downloading the 250+ MB of software, ITunes crashed. After the crash the only option one has is to restore the IPhone from the backup and hopefully get back the older version.
I am currently doing that, and ridiculous enough, I will be happy to have my previous version of the software and all the settings back on my IPhone, as they used to be before the “update”.

I do not understand why Apple hurries to launch a faulty software update, and why the chief engineers at Apple, who are supposed to verify the reliability of their software do not do their jobs???
This is disgusting for a product that is so successfull. Steve Jobs, verify your team of engineers, shatter their ##### to wake them up.

Posted by Whatever on April 13, 2009 at 2:23 AM (PDT)

When I try and install the 2.2.1 update, itunes crashes during backup.
Used Taskmanager to close itunes.

Posted by Kai on April 17, 2009 at 11:36 PM (PDT)

Berbert is a genius! FINALLY it started to sync!

Posted by Kristoffer on April 28, 2009 at 2:30 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >