iPhone users complain of ‘searching for service’ bug | iLounge News

iPhone users complain of ‘searching for service’ bug

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 24, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

A number of iPhone users are voicing their displeasure over a bug in iPhone software 3.1.2 that sees the phone randomly start searching for service. According to a thread on the Apple Support Discussions site, the problem appears to be software related, as users on AT&T, Rogers Wireless, and Telus have been affected; the only current fix once the phone begins searching is to reboot the device. It is unclear as to whether the problem is limited to iPhone 3G units, but no verified users of other models have complained on the thread thus far, suggesting that the bug may be specific to that iPhone model.

Update: A number of users, including one iLounge editor, have confirmed in the comments that the bug is indeed affecting all models of iPhone.

« Ivyskin unveils Zappak portable battery pack

iTunes, Live Nation launch concert offerings »

Comments

Affected users: please state if you are jailbroken and have retained the 04.26 baseband firmware via Pwnagetool (required to maintain SIM unlock prior to the release of blacksn0w). The mismatch between 3.1.2 and the older baseband firmware already caused one problem - lack of carrier name in the status bar (since patched with latest version of ultrasn0w). Is it possible that this service-searching bug is also a consequence of the same situation?

Posted by David on November 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

I’ve had this problem also, but interestingly in Canada it seemed to begin not with the 3.1.2 update itself but rather around the time that the Telus and Bell 3G networks went online.

The problem is occurring on all three of my iPhones, none of which have ever been jailbroken.  I’ve even noticed the problem on an older iPhone OS 3.1 device that I use for development (also not jailbroken).

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on November 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

3GS in Des Moines, IA…...i get this problem all the time

Posted by Robert on November 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

3GS, Columbus GA. Not jail broken, have the same issue. Called ATT a time ago and they point their fingers to APPLE….

Posted by dennis on November 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

3GS in Niles MI. Not jailbroken. Has been happening to me sporadically for the past few days. I thought it might be an AT&T tower issue.

Posted by Chris on November 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Edgewater NJ on a 3G.  Not JB.  I just thought it was that time of the month for AT&T’s network.

Posted by KllrDave on November 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM (PDT)

iPhone 3G on Rogers network, Vancouver Island Canada… no problems.

Posted by Ted Wood on November 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

I have the 3Gs and ever since I upgraded to the 3.1.2 and also the AT&T upgrade, whatever that was, my phone keeps searching. Restart does nothing. I called AT&T and they said they would look into this. Nothing since but problem still exists. I drop more calls and they sound fuzzy. Thanks for the lousy update!!!

Posted by MTV on November 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

Sorry, forgot to add, not jailbroken. Oh yes, AT&T told me to get a new simcard. Apple said they would give me a refurbished phone. Why would I want a used phone when I bought mine new? I don’t like the answers I got so far!!!

Posted by MTV on November 24, 2009 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

Not jailbroken, MD. iPhone 3GS started to have search service problem two weeks ago. Took it to Apple’s Genius Bar and they reformatted the phone and couldn’t fix the problem. Ended up exchanging it for a new one.

Posted by PL on November 24, 2009 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Happens to me all the time lately on my 3G on Rogers in Toronto.  It’s so F-ing annoying as most times, I have no clue that my phone is searching or has no service.  They better fix this pronto!

Posted by Dan on November 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM (PDT)

Everytime I fly into a new city I have this issue. Recently flew from Calgary (Rogers) to Palm Springs. iPhone would not automatically get a carrier. My partner connected to Cingular almost immediately upon turning on her phone (also Rogers but a Motorola model). I was finallay able to manually pick AT&T as a carrier.  Have been in Europe recently and COULD NOT get a carrier no matter what I did.

Posted by Frank on November 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem here in Bogotá-Colombia my 3g is on Movistar network. Not jailbroken.

Posted by Carlos Mendoza on November 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

I had this problem with my 3GS (never jailbroken) and Apple replaced my iPhone.  It has been fine since.

Posted by Ben Zell on November 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

I have this problem with my iPhone 3GS in Austria on Orange Network. My friend (same iphone, same network) does not have this problem. When I activated my iPhone, the menu language was initially set to spanish. That was strange.

Posted by Christian Mueller on November 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

I got this problem after updating to 3.1.2, Iphone 3G. Won’t rec’v or connect on outgoing calls even as screen shows call being made.

Posted by Tim O on November 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

I am an Australian user of a 3G iPhone using Vodafone as a provider. I have too have been experiencing this problem on 3.1.2.

Posted by Ian Thomason on November 25, 2009 at 3:48 AM (PDT)

I have this problem all the time since upgrading to 3.1.2, I have the 3GS on O2 in the UK.

Posted by David Mercer on November 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

I did too have this problem. But it has since disappeared. Which makes me think it’s more AT&T than Apple.

My iPhone is 3.1.2, and its not jailbroken.

Posted by Pamela on November 25, 2009 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

I have this problem here in Montreal with Telus 3G

Posted by Pierre on November 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >