iPhone users complain of ‘searching for service’ bug | iLounge News

iPhone users complain of ‘searching for service’ bug

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 24, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

A number of iPhone users are voicing their displeasure over a bug in iPhone software 3.1.2 that sees the phone randomly start searching for service. According to a thread on the Apple Support Discussions site, the problem appears to be software related, as users on AT&T, Rogers Wireless, and Telus have been affected; the only current fix once the phone begins searching is to reboot the device. It is unclear as to whether the problem is limited to iPhone 3G units, but no verified users of other models have complained on the thread thus far, suggesting that the bug may be specific to that iPhone model.

Update: A number of users, including one iLounge editor, have confirmed in the comments that the bug is indeed affecting all models of iPhone.

« Ivyskin unveils Zappak portable battery pack

iTunes, Live Nation launch concert offerings »

Comments

I’ve had this problem with an original, non-jailbroken iPhone starting with v3.1 and it still continues.

Posted by Paul on November 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

Sometimes my iPhone 3G says “Searching 3G” or it will have E for EDGE.

Posted by David on November 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

un-jailbroken 3G, Vodafone New Zealand. I get it maybe two or three times a week. Not as bad as some, but I hope 3.1.3 solves the problem all the same

Posted by mr_infamy on November 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

Uh, I think I must correct my previous posting.
In the apple userforum I found a solution to this problem - in “Settings/Carrier” I had set “Carrier”  to my Carrier. So, every time the connection got lost (even for a second or so) I got this popup-message.
So I changed the setting to “automatic” and now everything is great. My friend had set this to automatic anyway, so he never had this problem.

I don’t care so much about having always a connection to my carrier ( I don’t use it for calls very much), but I really hated the message I got every time.

Posted by Christian Mueller on November 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

new att customer with 3gs iphone for a month now and no problem here. no jb and i have ver 3.1.2.

Posted by Patrick on November 29, 2009 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

iphone 3g - started after the upgrade and happens several times a day.

Posted by rob d on November 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

I have the same issue.  Phone starts searching and then says no service…even if I’m in a 5 bar area!  Then goes to full signal. Whole process takes about 5 minutes.  Sometimes happens when I’m on the phone and what I then observe is a slow degradation of signal and people saying they can’t here me until the phone just goes into no-service.  Very discouraging.  Seems to happen a few times per hour.  Phone signal constantly going up and down.

Posted by Doug on December 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Same problem over the last two weeks. 5 bars on the wifes phone, mine is searching. Vancouver, BC

Posted by James on December 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM (PDT)

My 1st Generation Iphone does this randomly..except it loses service completely randomly and takes about 5 minutes to come back up.

Posted by Mark Moody on December 11, 2009 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

Oh, and also..No, my Iphone is not jailbroken. This started to happen with this newest update also, if not the one before it.

Posted by Mark Moody on December 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

I have this same problem on both my 16GB iPhone 3G and 3GS.  I am in South Africa and it is very annoying.

Posted by Nigel on December 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Same issue in Montreal, Rogers 3G , jailbroken with Geohotz blackra1n. The tendancy I see is after checking email, I tend to drop calls…

Posted by Danny on January 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

I have a brand new Iphone from Apple not jailbroken and I’ve had this issue occur twice since purchase (approximately 1 week).  May need to take in to Applecare.

Posted by Rick M on January 27, 2010 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

Same issue 3gs not JB.

Consistently drops my calls on the road.

Thinking of switching to google phone and drop AT&t.

Shame on Apple & Att for not addressing.

Posted by Ram on February 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

I have the same issue.  I get the same results from Virgin Mobile and Rogers Wireless using an 16gb iPhone 3gs.  I used two separate Iphones from each respected providers both using 3.1.3 os.  I live in Toronto Canada.  Hoping fix comes soon.

Posted by Luch on March 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Have this problem but now phone is stuck with the apple logo cant turn off just stuck…help

Posted by sandra on March 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

Not jailbroken. Have had it since last update. Based in Manchester UK

Posted by Saqif on July 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

not jailbroken, new verizon iphones, issue of no service began on 16g phone yesterday and later that day on 32g. must power cycle off and on to restore signal.

Posted by mrt on February 17, 2011 at 6:31 AM (PDT)

I’ve this problem with 3G. My device is not jail-broken.  Time to switch to a Lumina 900!

Posted by Hugo on February 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM (PDT)

Mine started doing this whilst working in a hospital where connection is poor…now its happening every day and at present wont clear of the ‘searching’- HELP !!!!

Posted by Tracy on May 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2