iPhone users report Voice Memo, Photos database problems | iLounge News

iPhone users report Voice Memo, Photos database problems

A number of iPhone users are reporting problems with the playback and syncing of Voice Memo files, as well as the access and syncing of photos taken with the iPhone’s camera. In an Apple support discussions thread, several users claim to have made recordings which are visible on the device, but are unable to be played back—while the play icon changes to a pause button, indicating the file is being played back, the slider never moves, nor does any sound come out. In some cases users were able to sync their phones and retrieve the message(s), but in others the sync removed the files from the phone entirely. Interestingly, an iLounge editor came across a similar problem with the iPhone’s Photos application, in that the phone suddenly acted as if no photos were stored on the device, and would take pictures but claim it was empty. After importing the photos into iPhoto, the app began to have trouble finding specific images, and the import did not help fix the problem on the iPhone. Another bug makes the Camera shutter button unresponsive and unable to take pictures. It is possible that these issues are unrelated, however, it is also possible that a bug in the way iPhone OS 3.0 handles saving files to its media databases may be to blame. [via MacNN]

« App Store hits 1.5 billion downloads in one year

Stuart Hughes rolls out rose gold iPhone 3GS »

Comments

Ever since I downloaded Itunes 10 I am not able to sync voice memos onto my mac. This sucks!!

Posted by sara on September 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

To timsk, to get your voice memo saved to your computer (assuming you have a PC), download an app called “DiskAid”.  (It’s not free, but there’s a 14-day fully-functioning trial - plenty of time to get the memo.)  Install the app, and once installed, use it to navigate into your phone to find the memo, and then copy the memo to some directory on your PC (the My Music - iTunes - iTunes Music folder I believe is where the voice memos are kept - it may be a good idea to copy it here AND somewhere else so you have a backup just in case).  Once you’ve copied the memo to your PC, delete the memo from your phone using the same app.  Doing all of this will both clear the sync problems, and ensure that you have a copy of the memo.  It sucks you have to use a workaround, but better than just settling for losing the memo completely.  Hope that helps.

Posted by KC on September 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

I have the exact same problem as timsk. My most recent voice memos will not sync to iTunes even though previous ones have. Everything is checked where it needs to be and I have tried all of the tricks that timsk tried, but to no avail. The only difference is that I am syncing to a Mac, not a PC, so why am I having this trouble? Is there a way to resolve it?

Posted by Kangkairen on September 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

I found the solution to my problem of the voice memos not showing up in itunes from my iphone.

All I did was “sync”.  Then, my voice memos were visible and playable in my itunes.

Before, the voice memos were not present in itunes… now they are!

Yahooo

Posted by Aaron on November 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

At Roger Waters/The Wall last night, i was stopped from taking video with my iPod Touch after the first song, as were many others, by ushers.

So i switched to Voice Recorder mode to capture mono.

I have a 52 minute recording of it, but which is corrupted. I think i tried to switch to camera during the recording to see if it could do both. if the camera was in video mode, which i thini it was, it probably caused problems with the in process voice recording.

Hopefully after reading all your comments i’ll be able to resurrect the first half of the show i recorded!!

Posted by Christopher Martin on December 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

The whole iTunes Voice memo’s syncing business is an enemy of the mankind. It’s concept is a product of a deviate mind marred by intrinsic internal chaos and heavily affected by the use of heavy drugs in the past and the soft drugs at present. The creators of this software should be imprisoned as criminals intentionally causing mental damage to the PC users. iTunes is the worst software I have ever encountered since I’ve been using PC’s in 1986. Everyone who buys an iPhone has been held as a hostage by Apple.

Posted by R on January 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

WOW-I have lost several school lectures after visiting the apple store they re-assured me that this would not be a continuing problem. Well, since apple sucks and never fixes their technical problems I have lost THE MOST IMPORTANT VOICE MEMO pertaining to my midterm. I am selling my macbook and going back to PC’s which seem to have less of a problem. I am sure that they will come out with a new iPhone to fix the problem and #### people out of money. The tech support guy said this was not a widespread problem but I am looking all over the internet and there are tons of people who are getting ###### out of voice memos. I downloaded TouchCopy to try to retrieve the voice memos but low and behold-nothing! But that was the solution the guy gave me and since that was the only thing that dumbass could come up with I guess I am SOL. Thanks for nothing-Mac products have cost me more money and frustration that they are worth GO WINDOWS!!!

Posted by Ashley on January 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

#### this. My iphone 3G pretty much decides on a whim with recordings will work and which ones don’t play. Three times out of six that I really needed it to work for my lectures that I recorded, it wouldn’t play back and upon syncing it to my computer… my computer didn’t even recognize them but uploaded the ones that did play back. So pretty much, I get a fifty percent chance it will be successful. That is not cutting the mustard. I’d rather it not have that application, than to offer it and have it be faulty.

Now, I don’t take the chance with the iphone voice memo. I had to go out and spend sixty dollars I don’t really have for recorder that will actually be reliable.

Great. Thanks Apple.

Posted by marilyn on February 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

I am also unable to sync most of my voice memos on my iPhone 4.  Overall, iTunes is a major irritation, and only tolerated on my machine because it’s the only software that can sync my phone.

Really disappointed.

Posted by Etienne on April 16, 2011 at 2:42 AM (PDT)

Apple has even crappier code quality than Microsoft nowadays it seems. Voice recordings often won’t sync with iTunes on my iPhone, and long recordings are inaccessible. The phone got slow after the last update, and the alarm clock doesn’t work. Great job Apple.

Posted by Jane on May 18, 2011 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

I use an iPhone 3GS 16 Gb with iOS 4.3.1. I copied all the voice memos to my Win7 PC using free Macroplant’s iPhone Explorer (m4a files became AAC audio files). I’m trying to listen a 30 minutes voice memo (no sound on the iPhone, no sound on iTunes, no sound on PC). Any way to fix the file?

Posted by Jose on September 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

hi
i have a problem with voice memos in my iphone 4. in the important meteting, i saved a record with my phone, about 1h24m. but it wasnt work and wasnt shown in “itunes”. of course it exists in my phone but the and is showing: 1h24m55s and when i click on the vois, it represen 00 to 00. i am sure it is recorded and it is very important for me because i need to it. please help me

Posted by rahil on November 12, 2011 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

I have the same problem as rahil but I have a 3G.  Have tried everything to get voice memos to play.  Any new suggestions?  SO FRUSTRATING!

Posted by Judy on December 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

clearly there is something wrong with this bit of software. when are these monkeys going to fix the bugs before selling this hooey to us suckers.

Posted by dr t loveday on February 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM (PDT)

RC-DC I WANT TO MAKE SWEET HOT LOVE YOU, YOU JUST SAVED MY LIFE

Posted by TechSwag on February 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

I lost my one hour important voice memo from my iphone.

Please help me in retreving.. :(

Thanks
Peeyush

Posted by peeyush on February 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2