iPhone version 1.1.3 jailbreak update released [updated] | iLounge News

iPhone version 1.1.3 jailbreak update released [updated]

A software-based jailbreak update for iPhone software version 1.1.3 has been released. Jailbreaking an iPhone makes it possible for unathorized, third-party applications to be installed on the iPhone. This new jailbreak requires that the user have a previously-jailbroken iPhone running software version 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 with Installer.app installed and a Windows computer. According to reports, unlocked phones appear to remain unlocked following the jailbreak/update; however, this new jailbreak method will not unlock an iPhone — it will only update a previously jailbroken unit to version 1.1.3.

Update: Following the initial release of the iPhone 1.1.3 jailbreak software, the group responsible for most of the software’s development claimed that the software had been released against its wishes, and ejected the member responsible for the early release. iPhone Dev Team member Jonathan Zdziarski has posted an update on the situation, explaining that the initial release by former member Nate True “included both files belonging to Apple and patches which contain copyrighted information by Apple, making his personal release illegal and unethical.” The iPhone Dev Team has since released its official 1.1.3 jailbreak, which functions on both the iPhone and iPod touch, and is performed on the device itself. In addition, another jailbreak application, iJailBreak, has been released in both a computer-based form (iJailBreak), and in a device-centered form (iJailBreakMobile) which allows users of jailbroken iPhone and iPod touch units running firmware 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 to update their devices using Installer.app.

« Tunewear offers Prie Ambassador for iPhone in new colors

Alesis unveils new iPod audio equipment »

Comments

bring it on with the update!! yuppeee!!! i hail the hackers :)

Posted by alex on January 24, 2008 at 10:29 PM (CST)

....i’ve got to imagine that apple coders laugh at how quickly people jailbreak their new firmwares.  They’ve got to know it’s inevitable, but they’ve got to put on a show for their partners, and the music studios, and everyone else…

Posted by OnlyShawn on January 24, 2008 at 10:34 PM (CST)

It isn’t Apple who suffers. You still have to buy an iPhone to hack it.
It’s the mobile phone companies who lose the contracts. It’s soon to be the 3rd parties who will be making commercial apps for the iPhone. It’s the poor saps who brick their phone because they want to play solitaire.

Posted by Bryan on January 25, 2008 at 4:09 AM (CST)

I am a little concerned with the word “unauthorized software” used in the article.  I realize this is being used very commonly today, but it implies that you’re doing something illegal.  I am sure operators and manufacturers are pleased by this perception, but it is too insidious and big brother-ish for me :).  I would think a technically more correct term would be “unsupported software”.  Because if it really is “unauthorized” then you’re not buying the device, you’re just leasing it.

Good job to the jailbreakers!

Posted by kokketiel on January 25, 2008 at 7:57 AM (CST)

I have to agree with kokketiel,

The term unauthorized does imply something illegal.

Are we leasing the phones from Apple or do we actually own them?

Posted by Don Trammell on January 25, 2008 at 8:48 AM (CST)

Bryan,
Apple does, indeed, suffer when someone hacks a phone to run on a different carrier. They get a significant kickback from AT&T when someone signs a two year contract after buying an iPhone. Every iPhone sold that isn’t activated through AT&T (or a legitimate carrier in another country) means less money for Apple.
Don,
I’ve read over at TUAW that there was a bit of dissention among the dev team as to whether or not the new hack violated copyright law. Apparently one of the .dll files in the jailbreak program may be an exact copy of one of Apple’s.
I’ve no idea if that would make using the jailbreak illegal….but it’s something to keep in mind. Don’t get me wrong, I hear what you’re saying and I whole-heartedly agree. My iPhone is mine. I should be able to mod it nine ways to Sunday and put any program I want to on it. When you start talking about using copyrighted material, though….Well, we’ve seen what happens when people even think about violating copyright law. ;)

Posted by Miranda Kali on January 25, 2008 at 9:38 AM (CST)

Is it any different adding ‘unsupported software’ on your iPhone to installing unsupported software on your Mac?

I would probably buy an iPhone tomorrow if it was not tied to O2 or any other airtime provider - I prefer to make my own choice as to who I use based on previous experience and requirements.

So until Apple starts to sell unlocked phones in the UK, I’ll sit it out…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on January 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM (CST)

ORRAHHH FOR THE HACKERS HAHAHAHAHA!!! booohhh for att suckers

Posted by alex on January 25, 2008 at 12:19 PM (CST)

does this apply to the iTouch as well?

Thanks guys and gals

Posted by phil on January 25, 2008 at 1:48 PM (CST)

No, this does not apply to the iPod touch at this point, although there have apparently been some reports of this working successfully on the 8GB iPod touch models, I wouldn’t suggest applying it right now.

In fact, even for the iPhone, this isn’t really for the faint of heart.  I’ve finally managed to get it to apply correctly, but my first two attempts were fraught with peril…  The first attempt failed outright and left the iPhone in recovery mode, so I had to revert back to v1.1.1 and start over.

The second attempt resulted in problems with ringtones, purchased content playback, and iTunes Store previews.

After that point, I tried updating the baseband firmware as well (the jailbreak itself does not normally do this), and then reverting back.  Although the iPhone stayed unlocked, this didn’t really solve any problems with the resulting upgrades, and the newer baseband firmware prevents any of the older v1.1.1/v1.1.2 from recognizing even the valid AT&T SIM card.

Finally reverted the Baseband firmware, went back to v1.1.1 and then upgraded to 1.1.2 and then to v1.1.3 with success and everything working.

So the solution seems to be to start with a fairly clean (but jailbroken) v1.1.2 install.  Direct updates from v1.1.1 seem to leave various pieces of the iPhone non-functioning.  This of course creates an extra step if you have to start over, since you can’t directly jailbreak v1.1.2—you have to go back to v1.1.1, jailbreak it, and then update to v1.1.2.

Bottom line is that this is not a simple procedure, and not recommended for anybody who isn’t up for a challenge and some time to spend.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on January 26, 2008 at 3:02 PM (CST)

The update was smooth as butter for me and all my friends, so it must not be that widespread…

HMMMMMMM!

People should calm down, there’s so much going on out there in the world that needs the “urgent attention”.

Posted by joecalliman on January 27, 2008 at 2:30 PM (CST)