iPhoneDrive opens iPhone for storage | iLounge News

iPhoneDrive opens iPhone for storage

image

Ecamm network has announced its new iPhoneDrive software for Mac. iPhoneDrive allows owners to use their iPhones for file storage. Features include drag and drop and the ability to copy entire folders to and from the iPhone. “iPhoneDrive is the first Mac application targeted specifically towards the iPhone, and the only way to use it to store files. We’ve added one more use to an already very useful device,” says Ken Aspeslagh, Ecamm Network’s iPhone specialist. iPhoneDrive is available now from the Ecamm website as both a fully-functioning demo and for purchase. It sells for $10.

« New software offers Exchange support for iPhone

Apple demand causing NAND shortages? »

Comments

Golly gee, entire folders?

Posted by Bad Beaver on July 11, 2007 at 9:42 AM (CDT)

can you read the OS and filesystem on the phone?

Posted by Jim E on July 11, 2007 at 9:56 AM (CDT)

So why did Apple lock the iPhone so you can’t use it for file storage/transfer like other iPods?  What is the reason for removing that feature?

Posted by Graeme Smith on July 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM (CDT)

Why would i want to use an iphone for storage. it barely has enough room for videos and music

Posted by ToolArmy on July 11, 2007 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

ToolArmy—The obvious use for this is schlepping files back and forth between multiple computers. As a journalist, I often need to take audio files of interviews from work to home, and the way the iPhone only works w/ one iTunes library makes it poorly suited to do this out of the box. With this program, it would be a total breeze. I used to use a USB flash drive on my keychain, but it didn’t stand up to daily use and broke off. This adds a lot of functionality to the iPhone for a fair price (though I’m not gonna byt it until I read some reviews).

Posted by andrewjnyc on July 11, 2007 at 11:44 AM (CDT)

8 gig is pretty big, man.  I’ve got about a hundred albums, 700 photos, five episodes of Battlestar Galactica and a copy of The Big Lebowski on there.  I thought I’d be keeping my old iPod because of the increased storage, but am finding I don’t use it and don’t miss it.  Instead, I’m simply syncing my iPhone a lot, which is a good thing—because my iPod held so much, I had a tendency to go MONTHS between syncs, meaning my latest CD purchases were never on there.

Sure, it’s no 80 gig, but a hard drive would a) be a lot bigger and heavier, and i like the size b) consume a lot more power and decrease battery life, and i like the battery life c) due to the use of motors and magnets, could create interference with the three kinds of wireless already bouncing around inside the aluminum shell of the iPod.

The iPhone currently can’t be used for disk access and doesn’t mount a file system on the iPhone.  I’m interested to know what iPhoneDrive’s solution to these problems was.

Posted by dasmb on July 11, 2007 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

i would use the iphone to transport photos that i would need to print out at a drugstore, or at kinkos, etc.  stuff like that.

i use my ipod for things like that now, and the files are REALLY small, kbs.

Posted by funkypod on July 11, 2007 at 8:21 PM (CDT)