iPod 4G testing underway, more photos | iLounge News

iPod 4G testing underway, more photos

iLounge couldn’t wait until Friday to receive its 40GB iPod, so we went to our local Apple Store and picked up a new 4G 20GB iPod for review. It’s being put through its paces as we speak. And yes, though the numbers show only a .12” difference, the new 40GB version feels surprisingly thicker (3G size, even) than the new 20GB. Retail Apple Stores have received “lots of them” in both sizes, and they’re already going quickly. Check back here for updates.

« Win a 4G iPod here, first mini winner picked

Apple PR: Indie labels join iTMS Europe »

Comments

Yay!!! That means we should be getting a review sometime right?

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on July 21, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

I guess you’ll be doing a battery test on the 40 and 20 gigs as well?

Posted by Rob on July 21, 2004 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

could you also do us a favor and try out some 3G accessories with it to see how they fit?

Posted by DAVID on July 21, 2004 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

do you think you could also speculate on the difference in backlight color? i heard that the Taiwan ones have a blue backlight and the Chinese ones have a white one

Posted by Steve on July 21, 2004 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

I received my 40 Gb in the mail today, and am rather upset.  There seems to be an adhesive sustance smeared all around the wheel (it’s all sticky).  i am on the phone with Apple right now to rectify the problem.  I am sure that this is an isolated incident, but after waiting all this time I’m not too happy.  Please let me know if anyone experiences this same issue.

Posted by darebell on July 21, 2004 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

aw poor baby you waited a whole two days…c’mon…“all this time”?

Posted by sure on July 21, 2004 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

cheers to iPodlounge for taking the initiative!

THE source for my iPod fix.

Posted by adrenaline on July 21, 2004 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

The “all this time” reference was to the fact that I returned a 3G iPod that was a gift over two months ago because of all of the rumors of a 4G version.  I guess I should have been more clear to avoid the sarcasam.  Regardless, my iPod is still messed up and I am rather dissapointed.

Posted by darebell on July 21, 2004 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

I think that this new ipod will turn out to be much diferent, especially in the battery life. I bet apple put in a new and better backlight, so that it could have a better life. Also, darebell, if you would of filled out the request form on apple support, you would probably get your ipod fixed, or replaced by the middle of next week at the latest.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on July 21, 2004 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

im waiting on my new iPod, the tracking shows it started in China and is currently in Alaska, too bad im in Virginia, but should be here this coming monday.  My other ipod is the original, which still works perfectly and I got it as soon as it came out.  Anyone know when any skins or accessories might be due out for the 4g?

Posted by Carlos Everygad on July 21, 2004 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

kind of off topic but i ordered my powerbook and it came a day before schedule, and it originated in china.. so ipods might come earlier?

also does anyone know any good cases for the 4g?

Posted by Angela Gonzales on July 21, 2004 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

I got a bad iPod gen 4 :(
I keep getting an error on iTunes that doesnt allow my music to sinc. Something about not finding the folder. Then my iPod freezes. Oh the frustrations of being one of the first “test dummies”.

Posted by djJASMAN in California on July 21, 2004 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

to be quite honest… i think it looks ugly.

Posted by mikemalley.net on July 21, 2004 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

I like the click wheel but don’t really understand why apple use the grey color wheel??? It looks odd and a little bit out of place to me. BTW, does the clickwheel move a bit when you scroll through like the ipod mini? After some uses on ipod mini, I find that the wheel can move a littl ebit and make it feel less solid than the 3g ipod.

Posted by mm on July 21, 2004 at 8:21 PM (PDT)

If it’s in Alaska tonight, you could have it Friday.  I remember tracking a previous shipment (either an iPod or some Airport hardware) from Taiwan to Alaska to Indianapolis to St Louis in just over 24 hours.

Posted by jon on July 21, 2004 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

Sorry, SAINT LOUIS.  sheesh.

Posted by jon on July 21, 2004 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

I have a 3g 15g not used a mini.  I would think the new click wheel would suck cause wouldn’t you constantly bump the volume up or down when pressing it?  The new 4g doesn’t look to great it looks empty with no buttons and it sucks that theres no backlight behind click wheel i love the red behind 3g buttons.  I think they should of left it be or at least made the click wheel white.

Posted by Jonathan on July 21, 2004 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

PLEASE PLEASE!...

Report on the size of the cache! We know the 3G is 32MB but no one has reported on the cache size of the 4G.

Posted by br- on July 21, 2004 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

Still 32MB.

32MB is approx. 25 mins.

It says 25 mins. on the Apple page.

Posted by Michael on July 21, 2004 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

From a designers point of view & someone who has never owned an ipod before, I would say that this 4G release is the most aesthetically pleasing. There is an optical balance with the screen and wheel, whereas the 3G looked too fussy with screen, wheel & a host of buttons. The backlighting of the buttons was nice though but probably cut to save battery life.

Additionally the white & grey colour scheme complements Apple’s line of ‘i’ computers such as the iMac, iBook & accessories such as Pro Keyboard & mouse.

I cannot underrstand the constant griping & saying its ugly or not as good as the 3G. I think the people saying this are in the minority & are a little bitter that they don’t have the latest gadget anymore - more favourite bandwagaon than favourite band!

I too have ordered one & I can hardly wait so I can listen to my music in style. In the same way my G4 Cube is many years old I just wouldn’t care how many times the iPod gets replaced, it goes from latest to classic and that really shouldn’t be a problem!

Posted by Crazyu on July 21, 2004 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »