iPod 4G testing underway, more photos | iLounge News

iPod 4G testing underway, more photos

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, July 21, 2004
News Categories: iPod

iLounge couldn’t wait until Friday to receive its 40GB iPod, so we went to our local Apple Store and picked up a new 4G 20GB iPod for review. It’s being put through its paces as we speak. And yes, though the numbers show only a .12” difference, the new 40GB version feels surprisingly thicker (3G size, even) than the new 20GB. Retail Apple Stores have received “lots of them” in both sizes, and they’re already going quickly. Check back here for updates.

« Win a 4G iPod here, first mini winner picked

Apple PR: Indie labels join iTMS Europe »

Comments

Is the middle button (“select”) a click-type button or is it touch sensitive like the 3G iPods?

Posted by Market Maven on July 21, 2004 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

i wonder if the 3g dock works with the 4g 20 gb one. im thinking about selling my 3g 20 gb one as i find the touchbuttons so awkward. id like to keep my acessories, though. on apples site the 4g has a different dock, but still.

Posted by Anders on July 21, 2004 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

I completely agree with Michael. I thought the 4g looked great from the pictures i have seen. The gray wheel seems to almost compliment the screen. I always thought the white wheel in the 3g was ugly and hard to find at a glance given the lack of contrast between the wheel and the front face. The new 4g wheel not only provides the contrast that makes it stand out against the white background - but it balances the overall color of the ipod making it easier to my eyes. From the pictures - it’s basically the best looking iPod I have seen to date.

Posted by rishio on July 21, 2004 at 11:29 PM (PDT)

Response to anders

I think the reason for the different dock is because the size and dimensions of the new ipod are slightly different to the 3g

Posted by psadle on July 21, 2004 at 11:43 PM (PDT)

can you test if linux (http://ipodlinux.sf.net/) works on it, and then post an answer in the forums (http://ipodlinux.sf.net/forums)

that would be marvellous.
thanks,
-Pete-

Posted by peter b on July 21, 2004 at 11:50 PM (PDT)

I cannot underrstand the constant griping & saying its ugly or not as good as the 3G. I think the people saying this are in the minority & are a little bitter that they don’t have the latest gadget anymore - more favoBy Crazyu on Jul 22, 04 12:02 am
urite bandwagaon than favourite band!

Not true for all of us.. I have a 3g 10gig and I have been wanting to upgrade to a 20gig for some time, I nearly got a 3g 20gig but decided to wait for the 4g. Now I don’t know what to do. Do I wait for the 5g or buy a 3g cheap ‘cause there is no way I am buying the 4g. If I could find more of a reson such as extra/improved features to off set the fact that it looks like crap maybe I would buy it. But come on the 3g has style the 4g looks like a childs toy.

Posted by Rotten Device on July 22, 2004 at 1:58 AM (PDT)

What we need is 3G looks and 4G battery capabilty. 4G is ugly and I think they might change it when the 60GB comes out.

Posted by Abdi on July 22, 2004 at 2:37 AM (PDT)

Posted by Abdi on July 22, 2004 at 2:37 AM (PDT)

What we need is a 4G Battery-life AND 4G looks! The news 4G iPod is nicer than the old one, but the people qho have a 3G say, that “yours” is bether grin

Posted by Cmon on July 22, 2004 at 2:47 AM (PDT)

What we need is a 4G Battery-life AND 4G looks! The news 4G iPod is nicer than the old one, but the people qho have a 3G say, that “theirs” is bether grin

Posted by Cmon on July 22, 2004 at 2:47 AM (PDT)

I think the new 4G looks beautiful. While it is a change to have a scroll wheel not be white, I think the new wheel still is subtle and blends well with the white case.

FOLKS the LOOK of the iPod MUST CHANGE or it will die. i have a feeling in 6 months most will have grown used to the beautiful new look at the few complaints will be over.

there are not enough changes for me to change out my 20 gig 3G for the 4G but my wife wants a new 20 gig 4G to replace her 10 gig 2G and THAT IS WORTH IT… she is going to be getting one soon. wink

Posted by Dave on July 22, 2004 at 2:51 AM (PDT)

Anyone else remember the similar griping when the 3G was released? No one liked it at all. Hmmm….

Posted by aeromusek on July 22, 2004 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

I still find 3g ipod the best design so far! I LUV the backlight buttons!

Posted by Eddie on July 22, 2004 at 3:42 AM (PDT)

I’m thinking of getting a 4th-gen 40 gig to replace my 2nd-gen 20 gig because I’m tired of having to make room for new songs.  The thing is, my 2nd-gen still gets 15 hours of battery life, and it’s been in heavy use for the past 16 months.  I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to see how the new battery measures up before I upgrade.

Posted by Sharku on July 22, 2004 at 3:54 AM (PDT)

I bought a 15G a little over a month ago.  I didn’t know that there’s a new 20G comming out!  This is my first Ipod and I love it.  I bought it at Best Buy and bought the replacement plan.  I want to return it and maybe they will exchange it with the 20G without me using my replacement plan.  I do have some problems with it—such as wrong song titles and turns on by itself when getting charged.  Can anybody tell me if Best Buy would likely take this back and exchange it w/ a 20G or will they give me the same one?

Posted by hellokittypod in Seattle on July 22, 2004 at 3:57 AM (PDT)

Apple let themselves go on the design this time…it looks fugly.  Power to the 3G iPod!  Huzzah!!

Posted by Xenoxide on July 22, 2004 at 4:17 AM (PDT)

You know what guys? If you think it’s ugly, no one can change your mind. If you think it’s gorgeous, nobody can force you to think otherwise…just believe in your taste and stop changing other people’s mind.

Lawry

Posted by Lawry on July 22, 2004 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

Not really trying to change anyones mind lol.. just expressing dissapointment about the 4G’s design. It would be nice if the scroll wheel wasnt grey. Also theres too much unused space.. i dunno it just looks unfinished :(. I’ll probably get used to it tho,.. hopefully.

Posted by Sypher on July 22, 2004 at 4:36 AM (PDT)

I just got my 20gb 4g last night. I love it. I had some weird problems in Itunes. I was trying to add some playlists located in different folders on my computer. And the first time i would update my ipod it would send the files, but thereafter it flagged it in itunes as it could not find the files which are located in the same scattered directories as the playlists.

It worked fine on my ipod and everythign. But itunes gives me that sync error

Posted by Erik on July 22, 2004 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

anyone reccomend a good case (nonapple ....#### that) for teh 4g ipods

Posted by erik on July 22, 2004 at 4:43 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »