iPod 4G testing underway, more photos | iLounge News

iPod 4G testing underway, more photos

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, July 21, 2004
News Categories: iPod

iLounge couldn’t wait until Friday to receive its 40GB iPod, so we went to our local Apple Store and picked up a new 4G 20GB iPod for review. It’s being put through its paces as we speak. And yes, though the numbers show only a .12” difference, the new 40GB version feels surprisingly thicker (3G size, even) than the new 20GB. Retail Apple Stores have received “lots of them” in both sizes, and they’re already going quickly. Check back here for updates.

« Win a 4G iPod here, first mini winner picked

Apple PR: Indie labels join iTMS Europe »

Comments

Hellokittypod,
Wrong song titles are because the files aren’t tagged correctly so doesn’t have anything to do with your ipod.  And I believe your ipod is supposed to turn on while charging.

The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with your ipod and even if there was Best Buy would just give you a different 3rd gen.

Posted by Drew-tang on July 22, 2004 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

I have 3 iPods - a 2g 20 gig, a 3g 15 gig, and a grey Mini.

MHO - I do not see how ANYONE could ever praise the 3g’s desgin, in comparison to the 2g and the Mini.

The ridiculous (and useless) “buttons” that Apple put on the 3g were just horrible. I cannot tell you how many times I accidently brushed the buttons and changed songs.

The Mini is by far the BEST design they have had - and now they are incorporating that into the 4g

Thank Ives!!!

Posted by Chris on July 22, 2004 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

I like the new 4G look.  Not having any buttons positioned to the outside of the screen like on the 3G gives the illusion that it is narrower.  I’ll still wait until they at least make a 60 Gig version.  That still won’t hold my entire library, but it would be close.

As for my 3G that I bought a few months ago, it still works just as good as it did when I bought it.  And while it would be nice if Apple would supply a software update that would put it more on par with the 4G, I can’t see them doing that since it would seem an unwise decision for the bottom line.

Posted by zippy on July 22, 2004 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

“You know what guys? If you think it’s ugly, no one can change your mind. If you think it’s gorgeous, nobody can force you to think otherwise…just believe in your taste and stop changing other people’s mind.”
-Lawry

Speak on it Lawry!

Posted by Mel on July 22, 2004 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

i have a 3rd gen 15gb ipod, 4th gen 40gb ipod, ipod mini, and have previously owned a 2nd gen 10gb and 1st gen 5gb. out of all of them i think the 3rd gen is the best design (not just aesthetically either). the lighted buttons are great as is the touch sensitivity on those buttons. to me the 4th gen feels cheap and the click wheel isn’t near the quality of the mini’s touch wheel. overall it reminds me alot of the 2nd generation.  i am disappointed so much that it may end up on ebay in the next several days.

Posted by andrew on July 22, 2004 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

Bestbuy has them, not all the stores, call around. I got a 40GB today, haven’t opened it up yet. Also got the 4 year warranty for $40

Posted by optimize on July 22, 2004 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

I couldn’t agree more: the 4G 20GB IPod works fine. In a few days I’ll get the IPod mini also: how do I work with both on the same computer?

Posted by Kasper on July 22, 2004 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Anyone know when any 4g compatible cases and what not might be coming out?  Also, anyone used the belkin media reader for taking images off their camera storage cards? I just got one which came before my new ipod so I havent gotten a chance to use it

Posted by Carlos Everygad on July 22, 2004 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

I also think Apple stepped down in coolness with the 4G grey wheel desgin and no backlit icons (that was what wowed me the first time I played with one).

I liked the looks of the 3G and liked the scroll wheel—In fact I just wanted the 4G to be a 3G clone with better battery life.

But that won’t stop me from buying one if the battery life claims are real—not using the 3G ‘8 hour’  formula.  I suspect the 5G won’t be too long in coming, so perhaps a return of the glow buttons and white dial is worth waiting for.

I

Posted by Takeo on July 22, 2004 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

Looks like I will be waiting another year to upgrade my iPod.  I have a moto to upgrade the iPod every odd year they redesign it.  I owned the very first 5 GB model (a waste of money today but back then 5 GB was a crap load of space).  When the 2nd generation came out, I didn’t feal the need to upgrade.  When the 3rd generation came out I upgraded to the 40 GB version and loved it.  Now that the 4th generation is out I don’t see a big enough change to upgrade.  When the 5th generation comes out I imagine they will have 120 GB iPods and that will be wort the upgrade, by then my music collection will have passed 40 GB.  I like the new iPod but for people who have owned the 3rd generation for awhile will find that upgrading will not really be a must.  For people who have owned their 3rd gen iPods for less than 30 days it will be worth it (I would).  Then when the 5th generation comes out, the current owners of the 4th generation will be saying the same thing that the 3rd generation owners are saying.  “I don’t like the new wheel, I like my 4th gen better.  Why did apple change that?  That really sucks, I don’t like the new iPod.  Blah, blah, blah!”  It is a never ending cycle.

Posted by 1moreyear on July 22, 2004 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

got my 4G 40GB today and love it.  I upgraded from a 15 GB 3G and I really like the click wheel.  It avoids accidental turn ons, song changes, etc…

and I know people are unsure about the grey color but it actually looks good in person.

It DOES work w/ the G3 40 GB dock although its just a little bit loose.  If it’s on a desktop it should be fine but if you have a dock rigged up in your car you should get the right one for it.

I’ll run it all day at work tomorrow to get an actual on the battery life.

Posted by krzy on July 22, 2004 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

Enough about the looks already… how does the G4 SOUND?!?  Does it have the same ole’ Wolfson WM8721 DAC and headphone amp?  Did the new firmware make a difference?

Inquiring Ears Want To Know!

Posted by Soundmeister on July 22, 2004 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

grr…

I’m having to update my song list… This takes forever…
I wish I didn’t have so much music…

Though 40GB is kinda roomy now compared to the ol’ 3G 15.

Now I’ve got more than enough room to borrow sensitive work documents and passwords!

YAY DISGRUNTLEDNESS! raspberry

Posted by ajservo on July 22, 2004 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

I saw one frustrated 4 Gen buyer who is still using Windows 98 from one of th forums, from Scotland. As we know that ipods is not useable with Windows 95 and 98. If he reading this, use Linux, PCLinuxOS is easy to run and master in just few hours. I guess he does n’t want to buy a new computer or upgrade. Dual booting is best option. Not registered user. Hence, I post here.

Posted by NS on July 22, 2004 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

Sounds like you have a good point there Tony, my 3G 20GB has an under-sensitive select button, and a WAY overly sensitive play/pause button, so the click-wheel does sound like a good choice, I’m only worried about small dust and dirt particles getting stuck around the edges of the scroll wheel…any one had that problem with their 4G or Mini?

Posted by SiRius on July 22, 2004 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

I’ve been looking at pictures of a dissected 4G…  They say that the battery is more securely held in to the device, right against the click wheel.  It looks like this might make battery replacement a bit tougher (impossible without some AppleCare contract possibly??) if your iPod starts losing charge quickly over time.

I’m a bit shocked over the number of 4Gs with scratches and imperfections on them…  The guy who dissected his had two bad marks on two different units.  Is this a common problem?

Beside the clickwheel, I have no compelling reason to buy a 4G yet.  It doesn’t offer anything hardware wise that isn’t available on a mini (They use the same PortalPlayer chip) and I don’t use it for more than a few hours at a time, otherwise it is charging and playing in the car.

Bring out a device with a proper LCD remote (Like on Sony MiniDisc units), then I’d consider upgrading.  Due to the limited capabilities of the remote port on the iPod, the only way I’d see such a device being built is if it was attached to the dock.

Also Apple:

For those whom have paid a premium for a closed OS over the years (Paid over $600 CAN last August for a 15G), I’m sure adding a few extra bits to your firmware will allow some of the innovative features of the 4G to work on the 3/2/1Gs.

If I bought a PC or PowerPC, I could develop or place any OS on the machine -might cost me 4% or less of a new machine, but I could do it.

Posted by John on July 22, 2004 at 9:35 PM (PDT)

you may like it but i dont it dosnt look any better thats why i am sticking to the Mini looks much better 40GB good but whos needs that much space i heard a saying

With the iPod you carry all your music, With the iPod Mini you carry all the music you love

Posted by Camerooon on July 22, 2004 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

I think that the 4g looks great.
i’m not a fanboy, but i’m getting one over my 2g 15gb.
i want a click wheel and the extra battery
life.
i just think that 8 hrs for the 2g one isn’t enough, but 12hrs, should be enough for most journeys.
and like Aaron H the multiple on - the - go playlists rocks.

Posted by david on July 22, 2004 at 11:00 PM (PDT)

so ..who’s going to be the first one to disect the danm thing?  picture also no doubt?
  =D

Posted by tdb on July 22, 2004 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

so who’s going to be the first one to disect the danm thing?  picture for us to no doubt?
=D

Posted by tdb on July 22, 2004 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 >