iPod accessories added $14 million to Apple’s Q1 revenue | iLounge News

iPod accessories added $14 million to Apple’s Q1 revenue

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, January 15, 2004
News Categories: Apple

MacMinute reports: “An estimated 733,000 iPods were sold, accounting for $256 million in revenue. This doesn’t include iPod accessories, which added up to another $14 million. Plus, the iPod numbers would have been even higher, but Apple’s supply couldn’t keep up with the demand, Anderson [Apple Chief Financial Officer] said.”

« Griffin PowerPod Charger now ships with Dock-To-FireWire cable

Forget the iPod mini, I want an ePod »

Comments

Yeah, because they’re so overly expensive, exen a corner store could make a profit.

Posted by Adam on January 15, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

am i the only one that finds the iPods prices somewhat reasonable?

Posted by michael on January 15, 2004 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Apple has a reputation for having high prices, but in my opinion, their products are worth every penny. Plus the re-sale of Apple products are a lot higher than a PC. I just sold a 450mhz machine for $800—try doing that with a PC.

Posted by narco in Burbank on January 15, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

Your absolutely kidding me right? $35 for a firewire cable for the iPod, less then a dollar to make easily. I can live of that money for weeks. $75 for a moulded peice of plastic with a pass-through connector (othewise know as a dock), what a waste of money. $75 for two pieces of cardboard wrapped in material, with elastic between them two (otherwise known as a case). $99 for a peice of plastic that hold 4 batteries (othewise known as a battery pack). $90 for an extremely cheap performing microphone.

You are blinded by the facts if you stand by Apple in its pricing of its accessories.

Posted by Adam on January 15, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Adam doesn’t seem to like Apple’s pricing. I hope he’s not buying their products!

That begs the question… why is he on an Apple product site? Strange.

Nobody is blinded, we just all have different measures of value. Sure, a $400 used K-car can get you to work, but for some reason some of us choose to spend $50,000 for an M3. Adam surely thinks that’s crazy - or that we’re blinded. I think it’s just freedom of choice.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Um, no, last time I checked, a $20 dollar microphone embarissingly outperforms what Apple sells for 5 times as much money.

Why am I here, because I have had an iPod, and I have been ‘scammed’ by the stupidly expensive accesories.

Posted by Adam on January 15, 2004 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

Adam, Then buy that $20 microphone. No one will disparage you for that. And no one has ‘scammed’ you. You may do with your money as you wish. As will we.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

No, you’re blinded.  The M3 performs much better than the K-car, but a firewire cable or battery pack would perform exactly the same.

Posted by Albert on January 15, 2004 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Albert: Really? Then buy whichever firewire cable or battery pack you choose. I didn’t say anything about performance. If I am comparing the two, then clearly I am implying that either would meet the need: basic transportation. The choice to go with one or the other and the corresponding cost clearly is far more involved and subjective. When I need a 6-pin firewire cable, I buy Apple’s only because they are much lighter and thinner than the acceptable alternatives. And frankly a few bucks either way doesn’t matter to me. But unlike Adam, I can’t live off $35 “for weeks” (or hours for that matter) so we have vastly different perspectives on value.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

Except if you have a 3G iPod, you don’t have a choice.  Thanks to the proprietary connector, you need to buy licensed peripherals.

I can’t live off $35 for weeks either, but I don’t like the feeling of wasting money.  That $35 dollars could go towards a Vaja case, Etymotic earphones, or whatever else I might like to buy.

Posted by Albert on January 15, 2004 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

As for the m3/k-car comparison, to be analogous to a firewire cable, one would be thick and clunky and run at 10 mbps, while the other would be thin and light and run at 400 mbps.  A clear performance difference.

Posted by Albert on January 15, 2004 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I guess I don’t understand the issue. Didn’t your iPod come with a cable? And the headphones connect to a normal headphone jack. There’s nothing proprietary about that. Plus, you can pick up a cheap adapter that turns the iPod dock connector into a normal firewire (or USB) connection. Then use whatever cheapo cable you’d like.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Yes, you would be better-served to take those steps because the Apple gouges you on their peripherals.

Posted by Albert on January 15, 2004 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

such senseless bickering. bottom line is that steve jobs is rich and your not. why not invent your own product then people can b|tch about its high prices and still buy it none the less. its like complaining about the price of gas. your still gonna need to fill up your Kias correct? if you dont want to be trapped in this vicious cycle then dont buy the initial product. ie Apple iPod.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on January 15, 2004 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

Thank you, Jaguares. Bingo.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

And thats exactly what I did, Apple did their job at turning me off it.

Posted by Adam on January 15, 2004 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

I think the accessories are overpriced, but they’re also *not needed* for the everyday user, so they can be overpriced.  And they’re also quality accessories.  My iPod came with a dock, etc., but I would have bought at least a dock had it not.

Obviously they’re not too overpriced or they wouldn’t have sold $14 million worth of them

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 15, 2004 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

Umm Atomic Bomb, that’s not bingo.

Gas price, it’s much more global based decision and no one person can affect it. Also, gas is a need.. unlike ipod accessories, that’s for people without a brain (or rich, sometimes they go hand in hand).

Just because iPod is a “high end” product, Apple expects everyone to have a cash cow in their home. Truely, that’s the case right? Only rich people buys iPod, meaning they can afford anything Apple throws at them.

Yeah, that’s Apple alright, Simplistic minded designers, marketers, and sales.

Posted by Bob on January 15, 2004 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

that nice “Bob” what are you a monk. couldnt you come up with a more inventive name by the way. Bob is such a high school janitor name.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on January 15, 2004 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

Can someone make sense of Bob’s incoherent ramblings?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >