iPod accessories added $14 million to Apple’s Q1 revenue | iLounge News

iPod accessories added $14 million to Apple’s Q1 revenue

MacMinute reports: “An estimated 733,000 iPods were sold, accounting for $256 million in revenue. This doesn’t include iPod accessories, which added up to another $14 million. Plus, the iPod numbers would have been even higher, but Apple’s supply couldn’t keep up with the demand, Anderson [Apple Chief Financial Officer] said.”

« Griffin PowerPod Charger now ships with Dock-To-FireWire cable

Forget the iPod mini, I want an ePod »

Comments

Bob > Jaguares

Posted by irtehpod on January 15, 2004 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

okay anyone that thinks apple’s case is worth the asking price of $40 has no sense of value here. just because it’s an apple product doesn’t make it so insanely expensive. I have no use for the junk that came with my ipod. but that’s just me. smile

Posted by kenner on January 15, 2004 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

Jaguares:

I keep my best names in other forums.

Atomic Bomb:

Yeah, anyone that arn’t in Steves’s cult.

Posted by Bob on January 15, 2004 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

“Yeah, anyone that arn’t in Steves’s cult.”

Marvellous.

Posted by Adam on January 15, 2004 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

“I have no use for the junk that came with my ipod.”

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 7:05 PM (PDT)

Adam, where are you getting your pricing from? I see $39 for a dock, $19 for a firewire cable, and most cases are about $20-$50. The dock is not required, the firewire cable is included and cases are always optional.

Most (smart) consumers read up on products before purchasing them, especially on one as expensive as the iPod. If you feel that you have been scammed, it’s your own fault. And that, my friends, is my opinion.

Posted by narco in Burbank on January 15, 2004 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

I’m in Australia. I’d think that most ‘smart’ consumers would recognize that not everybody in the world lives in the US.

Posted by Adam on January 15, 2004 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

I checked to see where you live before I made my comment, I didn’t want to put too much work into a silly little response. Obviously not everyone lives in the US.

Posted by narco in Burbank on January 15, 2004 at 8:04 PM (PDT)

i agree with adam (and not just because im an aussie) that the prices are excessive especially for aussies. fyi, a 15gig ipod from apple in australia is the equivilent of $349US while it is 299 in america (which is still overpriced given that apple still makes about 70 bucks off each pod). then again the actual ipod is worth it but i am not conveinced about all the accessories. and if anyone calls me a cheapskate student (which i am) yes i do own a 3rd gen with an exo2, batt pack and sony ex71 headphones (sony is even worse than apple - i got them from singapore for 1/2 the price)

Posted by timmy in Melbourne, Australia on January 15, 2004 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

I hate how apple won’t change Candian iPod prices even when our dollars went up $0.25

Total rip off if u ask me. They are making hell of a lot more profit from canadian customers now a days.

Posted by Bob on January 15, 2004 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

the value of the US dollar is always changing, too.  You wouldn’t want them to raise the price if the US dollar changed adversly, would you?

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 15, 2004 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

Apple actually set the price with large exchange rate buffer.

They always win no matter what.

I calculated couple times, we always pay more than US customers. Now, since US is doing crap and Canada is doing okay, we are getting screwed more than usual.

Posted by Bob on January 15, 2004 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

yeah, foreign markets don’t usually come out ahead.  It’s too bad, really.

I didn’t know there was a buffer and whatnot.

I’d just get everything la ebay.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 15, 2004 at 9:05 PM (PDT)

its amazing to see how some ipod fans like to take it up the as*S like atomic kid - where is ur practicality people - they have over priced accessories and yes they make lots of $$$ on it - its not like it costs them $45 to make an ipod stand - try <$1   - i know people because i do steve jobs in the as*s cuz he’s a fruit like some of u gay ipoders -  I love my ipod - just not in that way !!!!!! p.s. my ipod is messed up now - it keeps restarting !!!!

Posted by gabe on January 15, 2004 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

“Good thing you don’t bother to connect your iPod to your computer then - since the cable came with it. Ah, the sound of silence.”

how clever. sorry, I just assume people know I mean by the accessories like case, dock, and remote. Also where is my wire to connect to my laptop through usb? riiiiight.

Posted by Kenner on January 15, 2004 at 11:12 PM (PDT)

Lol. I love a good verbal joust!

I’m sorry, but all you guys (& girls?) complaining about the prices DO have a choice; either buy a different accessory (where available) or research your purchase properly in the first place. Then, if you don’t like the prices or can’t afford them you have the CHOICE to buy a different product.

I also understand where you Aussies are coming from and coming from England I’m in the same boat but what can you do? The only option is exercise your choice and don’t buy it (thus forcing the supplier to review their prices, if enough consumers follow suite) or do what I did and buy it from the States.

Oh, and Bob, I’ve gotta know what your ‘best names’ are!

Posted by bobsyerunkle on January 16, 2004 at 1:00 AM (PDT)

This Bob/Adam/Albert/kenner/irtehpod/gabe goon is hilarious. What a pathetic dolt(s) to ##### about an Apple product on an Apple product site. I do feel sorry for him/it/them, though. Clearly economically challenged. A sad sort.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 16, 2004 at 1:57 AM (PDT)

okay, so i’m suppose to cheer for apple because of the high cost for a $40 case that is impractical compare to other cases, because this is a site about apple? the remote/case/dock came with my iPod but if I had bought the lower priced model I still wouldn’t consider these items.

Pathetic dolt? Goon? I think your rather sad blindly following apple’s price decisions. Your probably on the side of Apple when they had the battery replacement for over $200?

No one is forcing me to buy anything, but Apple is not telling me not to voice my opinions on their price either.

“I agree that some of the prices are outrageous (especially the case) but please don’t buy an iPod and then complain about the costs involved.”
Isn’t that the whole point? you agree that the price is outrageous I agree with the price is outrageous yet we are not allowed to say that? I love my iPod, it doesn’t mean anything associated with iPod becomes a favorite also.

If i’m a dolt Atomic Bomb must be a blind sheep going into the slaughter.

Posted by Kenner on January 16, 2004 at 2:18 AM (PDT)

I never agreed that the prices were outrageous. It’s all clearly a matter of perspective. Of course they’d seem outrageous to you if you are used to buying second-rate equipment or if you don’t have the money to spend.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 16, 2004 at 2:34 AM (PDT)

Kenner,

The point is; what is to be gained by complaining? As a consumer you’ll have a far bigger impact on Apple by buying an iSkin, or whatever. I’m no Apple ‘sheep’ and whilst I too love my iPod I’m not going to but any accessory that doesn’t provide good value.

I also agree with Atomic Bomb. Don’t forget there are a hell of a lot of people out there that think the iPod itself is waaaay overpriced. We obviously don’t because we’re here, but the point is everyone’s perception of value is different so don’t slate a fellow iPod owner for thinking some accessories are good value. That’s the power of choice!

Posted by bobsyerunkle on January 16, 2004 at 2:40 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >