iPod ads “focus on a very narrow market” | iLounge News

iPod ads “focus on a very narrow market”

“However, the world’s leading expert on the social impact of personal-stereo devices

Comments

<shrug> I like the ads.  I’m not in apple’s target early 20-something market (i’m 34), but the ads speak to me.  (does that mean I’m having a midlife crisis 10 years early?!  At least I didn’t buy a Vette)

Anyway, I chuckled at this quote:

The Post points out: “Channel Surfing isn’t available on Apple’s music store, iTunes.”

Jupiter analyst Michael Gartenberg said: “It’s a little ironic that they chose to put that song in the commercial. There’s probably someone in the publicity department who is a little red-faced.”

So what?  Maybe they were demonstrating that you can put *your* music on this device, not only iTunes music.

where’s the rolleyes smiley when you need him

Posted by Breathe on February 25, 2004 at 11:04 AM (CST)

He is “... the world’s leading expert on the social impact of personal-stereo devices…”

Beautiful!  Ain’t academia great?

This 42-year old geezer loves his iPod, and didn’t really need to see an “advert” (or maybe “ad ” as we say on this side of the pond) to know that it was what he wanted.

As far as ads and marketing go, look at the Honda Element. The target demo was 18 - 22.  They are selling well to the 40+ demo.  Go figure…

Posted by Pete LaV on February 25, 2004 at 11:28 AM (CST)

“where’s the rolleyes smiley when you need him”

can someone explain to me why there is NO rolleyes smiley created!??!?

I’ve been needing for QUITE sometime… and i always get mad that there is none when i need it.

* rolls eyes

Posted by jon on February 25, 2004 at 11:32 AM (CST)

Age is relative.  30 is now the new 20.  I see people who are 35 who act like high schoolers.  I know high school kids who act like the parents of the 35 year olds.  Be careful when going after a certain age market because everyone is different!

Posted by dj on February 25, 2004 at 11:32 AM (CST)

The iPod ads are correctly aimed at the highest spending age group for music (which may be narrow, but boy do they spend on music), and what’s more is that to skew older WOULD ALIENATE them (aka. be uncool). It’s easy for older and diverse car owners to accept that a youth obsessed campaign is not alienating them, so why should iPod users be any different? End of argument.

Posted by michael on February 25, 2004 at 11:38 AM (CST)

I remember the old ipod ad where is was some ugly dude in his mid to late 40’s singing “talkin’ ‘bout my generation”.

I loved that advertisement.  Anyone have a mirror for it?

Posted by Unixmonkey on February 25, 2004 at 1:56 PM (CST)

If someone cannot infer from these youth-oriented commercials that the ipod would work just as well for “older folks listening to classical music and Frank Sinatra and such,” then I think said person has more important things to worry about, namely their brain power.

Posted by Agent Orange on February 25, 2004 at 2:29 PM (CST)

Steve Jobs remains committed to the Macintosh as a “platform” as a opposed to a “product.” “Think different” is not just a slogan, it’s a philosophy. Hence, all Apple advertising, but especially expensive, mainstream media, ads are intended to be “institutional,” like those ads for energy companies on PBS, as well as to sell a particular product.

From this pov, the Apple ads are serving the same purpose as RJR’s notorious “Joe Camel” campaign. The average age of the actual customers may be much older than the demographic the ad is aimed at, but it is the youngest consumers that both marketers are seeking to get hooked early and deeply.

Where was the Macintosh computer first and most fimly entrenched? In schools, where kids who used them there, would often buy Macs for their homes if they could afford them. But as Windows improved, the cost of pc hardware continued to plummet, and most importantly new non-Mac electronics/computer hybrids like x-box and playstation became the prestige toys of choice for new generations of youth, the Mac became more marginalized than ever. While the i/eMacs may have stanched that bleeding to an extent, they were still unsuccessful in growing Apple’s market share significantly.

Now the iPod has the opportunity to become today’s kids’ most cherished and desirable electronic product. It’s a “gateway” purchase: even if it is too expensive for most kids or their parents, it has become the standard for the first thing a kid would buy if he/she could.

As these kids outgrow their first computers, perhaps PCs, the Macintosh is going to look a lot more inviting to those who have iPods. Even more than the iMac, the iPod is spreading the Apple gospel.

So I think that, assuming the tv ads skew young, they’re brilliant. However, I suspect that they still appeal more to a 35 yo going on 15 than they do an actual teen.

Posted by ronross on February 26, 2004 at 8:41 AM (CST)

Interesting post, but I’d would love to see some sales data on Mac vs. Windows versions of iPods.  I’m guessing that it is in the range of 10 to 1 in favor of Windows, but that is just a SWAG.  I seriously doubt that the iPod is gonna be the “gateway drug” that gets folks using Macs, sorry.

Posted by Pete LaV on February 26, 2004 at 11:15 AM (CST)

^ Before buying my iPod I would have never wanted anything made by Apple. But now I want an iBook aswell… :)

Anyway.. I think the adverts are pretty cool.. and I’m 15.

Posted by Sypher on February 27, 2004 at 1:20 PM (CST)

i think the commercials were awsome.(.)(.)
                        —-

Posted by cman on July 13, 2005 at 9:36 PM (CDT)