iPod ‘Amnesty Bin’ found at Zune HQ | iLounge News

iPod ‘Amnesty Bin’ found at Zune HQ

image

Flickr user fimoculous snapped a picture recently of an “iPod Amnesty Bin,” supposedly placed in the entryway to Microsoft’s Zune headquarters. The bin, which (according to a Macworld UK report) was meant to encourage employees to ditch their iPods in favor of the software giant’s beleaguered media player, was nearly empty. It was labeled “iPod Amnesty Bin,” with a picture of a twice-bitten apple in the center, above the motto “bite me.” Only a few fourth-generation iPods can be seen in the Flickr photo, which features the caption, “We visited the Zune headquarters today. In the entryway was an iPod recycling bin.”

« Study: 90 percent of phone owners find iPhone superior

DLO debuts TransDock Deluxe »

Comments

seems to be more tongue-in-cheek than a serious request. it certainly got a laugh out of me!

Posted by Toxic Boy on May 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

And then at the end of the day, someone comes to collect the iPods. And resells them on eBay for more than a new Zune is going for.

SCENARIO B: Someone bought a few old iPods and, in a move reminiscent of how a homeless person puts some change in their cup to get the ball rolling, are trying to convince employees to follow suit. But nobody feels THAT bad for Zune.

Posted by Multimoog on May 24, 2007 at 1:37 PM (CDT)

Note To MS: Marketing ploy won’t work since most people know that even a broken iPod is worth selling as opposed to just giving them to MS.

Yea, I believe some execs purchased broken iPods from eBay and/or employees and put them in that bin and bet they have guards standing by to make sure no one steals them to sell on eBay.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on May 24, 2007 at 1:49 PM (CDT)

People at Zune HQ don’t want to be staring at the play that is the best and will always be better that theirs. And you can quote me on that.

Posted by ryan10ad on May 24, 2007 at 1:59 PM (CDT)

i think i will go and visit this place since i bet i can sell these iPods. Now where is my laboring brother….

Posted by Dhruv on May 24, 2007 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

Microsoft will help keep Apple on their heels.  When Microsoft enters a market, they play to win and they will continue battling until they own the market or when they run out of money.

Posted by stephen on May 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM (CDT)

You people slay me.  I ditched my iPod for a Zune, and have no regrets.  The Marketplace subscription service is the best thing since sliced bread, as they say.  Every time Jobs breaks wind you people are clammoring for him to get a Grammy!

Posted by Tony on May 24, 2007 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

Cool Free ipods, Thanks m$. Pretty soon they will have to be giving away for FREE the zune to keep market share.

My ipod is the best investment I have ever made in my life.

Buy used cds.
Make your own MUSIC..

Posted by mango on May 24, 2007 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

Um, remind us again Tony what is so awesome or amazing about sliced bread? I could argue that the iPod has been the best thing since 5 years before the Zune even came into fruition.

I personally think it would make a bigger statement on Microsoft’s part if they actually filled the bin with more than 5 or 6 iPods. Either that or make the bin smaller. Its kind of goofy as is… like the joke’s on them… hardly anyone wants to get rid of their iPod.

Posted by Toby on May 24, 2007 at 2:57 PM (CDT)

What does that say about the Zune when you have to convinced your employees (beg them) to give up their iPods? The bin should be filled to the max if the Zune is so hot. Heck, have an iPod smashing section!

If the Zune was so great, trendy, the new ‘it’ product, there would be no need for an “iPod Amnesty Bin,”.

Posted by Dave on May 24, 2007 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

I get the impression that Microsoft had the iPods placed in there. I doubt anyone would jsut throw away their iPod, unless it was broken or something, and even then it’d be worth selling to someone who likes to experiment with them. Seriously…it’s a cheap blow and it sucks. I like Microsoft, but Apple is like heaven when it comes to mp3/hard drive players. It’ll take more than the current Zune to beat out the iPod.

Posted by ddsd on May 24, 2007 at 4:51 PM (CDT)

Gotta admit though… that was pretty creative!

Kinda funny too… “bite me”.. LOL

Still not throwing away my iPod though and definitely not buying into Zune.  I’d rather depend on my phone as a mp3 player first.

Posted by 3rdeye on May 24, 2007 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

That right there is 10% off a new iPod if you recycle it at an Apple Store.

Hopefully Microsoft isn’t just throwing them away or anything…

Posted by jeremyjk1221 on May 24, 2007 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

C’mon ... you gotta admit, it’s pretty funny.

Plus, maybe they just emptied the bin and recently incinerated all the iPods.  You don’t leave your trash and recycling bins sitting around full all the time do you?  Besides, at Zune HQ, iPod recycling might be compulsory among employees rather than voluntary - I imagine it wouldn’t bode well for your job security to be caught with an iPod there.

Posted by dodo on May 24, 2007 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

Actually, I suspect everyone on the Zune team has an iPod. Where would they get their ideas from otherwise?

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth in North Hollywood, CA on May 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM (CDT)

I have an iPod and i have XBOX Live which i use daily to play games, download shows, movies, etc. What i enjoy about the Zune Marketplace is that i can buy songs from them using my MS Points that are linked to my XBOX Live account. Not that the songs are cheaper or better its just a matter of convenience. I have a 5G Vid iPod. So until that breaks im content with what i have now when it bites the dust ill consider a Zune. Compare them and pick whats best for my personal needs.

Posted by Brian on May 25, 2007 at 11:49 AM (CDT)

That Picture its edited..

Posted by Clon on May 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

I think something you all are overlooking is..it’s in the offices of Microsoft’s Zune department.  It’s a inside company joke I am for sure.  Kinda like the banners that Apple put up a few years ago at the CES show with “Microsoft start your copiers.”  It’s all in fun I am for sure.

Posted by Eric on May 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

See what was on the other side of the hallway:

Posted by Simon Young on May 25, 2007 at 6:03 PM (CDT)

Finally…a worthy place for all the dead 40GB 4Gs to go to rot.

The bin looks staged. Would’ve seemed more convincing had one or two of the iPods in there been shown shattered in pieces. That bottom surface doesn’t exactly look soft and cushy.

Posted by flatline response on May 28, 2007 at 11:03 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >