iPod interfaces expected in 73 million cars by 2011 | iLounge News

iPod interfaces expected in 73 million cars by 2011

Telematics Research Group (TRG) said today it predicts that by 2011, 28 million cars in the U.S. and 73 million cars worldwide will offer built-in iPod integration. The research firm said that automotive auxiliary inputs will expand to about 60 million cars in the U.S. and 150 million globally by 2011. TRG expects Bluetooth audio interfaces will be installed in 8.5 million cars in the U.S. and 25 million worldwide by 2011. According to TRG data, 39 models from major auto companies currently sell vehicles in the U.S. market with iPod adapters or auxiliary-input jacks.

« Poll results: 2005’s most important iPod/iTunes event

DLO ships over 20 new cases for iPod, nano »

Comments

Not Volvo though (S40/V50/XC90).......

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on December 21, 2005 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

Recently the cassette player broke in my car stereo, and not wanting to use an FM transmitter, I ended up replacing the car stereo with one that had an aux input. Actually, it also had the option for true iPod integration (Alpine), but that didn’t seem worth the extra cost.

And one more thing: A Sony was probably a better choice, but I decided that their whole DRM fiasco was going to cost them a sale.

Posted by Mike W in Silicon Valley, CA on December 21, 2005 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

I just got a SCION tC for Christmas (thanks, wife) and it has the iPod Pioneer stereo - the best $23k accessory on the market! Believe it or not, when I had my list of cars down to four, the iPod integration was a key decision-maker. Not just a mini-jack either, but full iPod control.

Scott

Posted by scott boettcher on December 21, 2005 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

I have an Alpine head unit along with the Alpine iPod integration adapter, and it works great for the money.  You don’t have to worry about trying to find a radio station like you would with the FM transmitter, which I had.  All of the controls are right from the radio.

Posted by Eric on December 21, 2005 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

I haven’t paid much attention to Alpine recently; do their audio (non-DVD) HUs generally still use 1-bit DACs?

Posted by flatline response on December 22, 2005 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

I have the 2006 ridgeline pick up from honda with the new voice controlled cab, navigation and rear camera sytem installed, and it came factory with a ipod jack in the dash and the space in front of the jack is soft touch rubber coated cubby hole that fits the ipod perfectly.
almost bought a tribeca, but thge honda truck was way to cool.
very high tech controls and built in xm radio as well….

Posted by perry on December 22, 2005 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

I find that having AUX input along with well designed playlists is enough. Just hit ‘play’ and occasionally ‘pause’.

I don’t care enough about having the control to pay for it.

Mine is a Kenwood receiver with AUX in. My CD player/changer has not rotated AT ALL since I got the iPod hooked up.

Posted by klwdallas on December 22, 2005 at 3:31 PM (PDT)

Full car integration by 2011 ??  Geez, by 2011, I expect to be able to have an implantable iPod with 100 BaZillion songs that I can control by scanning my eyes on a heads up display (talk about full integration).  Oh, and I’ll be driving my hydrogen-powered flying car, too.

Posted by Kevin Stark on December 22, 2005 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

actually youd be flying not driving^^

Posted by crazyassazian on December 25, 2005 at 2:31 AM (PDT)

I too just bought a Scion tC and was impressed at how well the Pioneer sound system works with the iPod connector.  All you have to do is plug it in and put it inside the glove box and everything displays in the Pioneer’s display.  Using the steering wheel controls make it so easy to use.  The different display colors is a nice touch.  The Pioneer exceeded my expectations and beats by a country mile the option of a 6 CD changer.

Posted by Joe on December 28, 2005 at 9:19 PM (PDT)