iPod-based ‘HP Digital Music Player’ unveiled | iLounge News

iPod-based ‘HP Digital Music Player’ unveiled

As noted by MacMinute, Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina has unveiled the new iPod-based “HP Digital Music Player” at this week’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. The device is light blue in color and has an “HP” logo on the back. Firoina said it is “the first and only one” in existence. HP and Apple announced a partnership yesterday to deliver an HP-branded digital music player based on Apple’s iPod, which is expected to ship this summer. CNET has a short video of Fiorina introducing the device at CES.

« Mac 911 - Secrets of The iPod mini

MacBlog: The New iPod mini - is Smaller Better? »

Comments

WTF… This really cheapens the iPod. It makes zero sense. Why doesn’t Apple just sell the iPod to HP as an iPod, instead of the fancy redesign? People won’t be able to tell the difference? They’ll know that they are both iPod… I don’t get it.

Posted by Sam on January 9, 2004 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

i dont know about anyone else, but that HP blue colour is horrible. HORRIBLE. as if they wouldn’t have done some research and just made the damn thing black. that way, they would’ve sold them no matter what. Personally, [assuming they are exactly the same except for what it physically looks like] i would buy a black hPod over a white iPod, regardless of the HP logo on the back.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on January 9, 2004 at 6:53 PM (PDT)

Harrison is right about the color it looks like s%^& in my opinion like the blueberry off of willy wonka hp should have gone with a cool color or a nice design like flames

Posted by BIGP in Texas on January 9, 2004 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

Eh, it’s only a prototype.  Colors’ll change.

My ONLY miff about this is that Carly says in her speech that APPLE came to HP.  This seems reversed to what she opens her speech with saying that HP found Apple to be innovators.

Posted by ajservo on January 9, 2004 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

i think its great - that hp has an ‘ipod’  - now people have the option to buy a device without the gay white
not to mention all the baggage having an apple product comes with.

hey anyone having any issues that the song just stops randomly?

Edited for content.

Posted by gabe on January 9, 2004 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

### #####?
Its the best looking device out there.

Edited for content.

Posted by Ed on January 9, 2004 at 9:01 PM (PDT)

Usually college students are intelligent enough (or liberal enough) to realize the repercussions of offending somebody for no reason.  The word “stupid” makes a good substitute for that word.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 9, 2004 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

Gabe-
I’m “one of their kids” and I am offended by it.

Posted by iBookiPod on January 9, 2004 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

Well, the 3g Ipod just lost it’s cool.
I guess I’ll need to get an Ipod mini now…

Posted by CrazyMofo on January 10, 2004 at 12:41 AM (PDT)

you have to admit outside of the Apple Ipod that the HIpod is the next best thing.. If anything it gives an alternative color for those that wish not to have a white player…

Posted by bababooey on January 10, 2004 at 2:20 AM (PDT)

My prediction:
The HPod (like what I’ve done) is launching in June, so what I personally expect is that Apple will announce the next generation ipod, and willcontinue selling the current generatio of ipods through HP at a slightly discunted price. Hey it’s a thought. I also assume that all present accessories will will work with the HPod

Posted by tariq on January 10, 2004 at 2:31 AM (PDT)

i agree tariq. 4G iPod will be out in july or so [should’ve waited - my iPod is coming Wednesday, and my birthday is in July, ahh well]. I really think they have to change the colour.. that blue really is bad

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on January 10, 2004 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

Carly Fiorina must have some serious guts to come on stage with a product that is as ugly as sin. I was most impressed with her performance, but HP clearly has to do something about the color, or get this thing a true website with better pictures if the colour is just coming out badly in the stream. The way it looks resembles something I might expect to find in a bathroom, but would not want find in *my* bathroom.

I consider this deal to be a very smart move on both sides, and it will mean considerable profits for Apple as well as spread of technology/standards (AAC, QT, etc.). Excellent. I wonder whether they will also make the same deal with IBM.

Posted by Oliver :) on January 10, 2004 at 4:41 AM (PDT)

If by “college folk,” you mean “junior-high folk,” then I’d believe you.

Posted by iObsessed on January 10, 2004 at 5:08 AM (PDT)

“Then again, this is the same woman, who just yesterday said, “There is no job that is America’s God-given right anymore,” Carly Fiorina, chief executive for Hewlett-Packard Co., said Wednesday. “We have to compete for jobs.” in regards to outsourcing American jobs to foreign countries as a way to cut costs.”

ajservo, my only issue with her statement is that she said “now”.  This is the case in Ameica, and it always has been, or should have been the case.  America is about competition.  That’s true for companies, and it should be true for workers, too.  If American workers don’t have to compete, then the companies for whom they work will never be able to compete.

Posted by rdlink on January 10, 2004 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Dont forget, very few of the components INSIDE the iPod are actually apple’s, now that it think about it, probably none. They’re all third party products, so the HP thing is not that big a deal.

Posted by Jon on January 10, 2004 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

sorry, just read my post (shoulda done that before). I didnt mean that its a big deal for Apple, its HUGE. I just meant its not that big a deal that the iPod has been rebranded.

Posted by Jon on January 10, 2004 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

college?  maybe grade school.

Posted by dave on January 10, 2004 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

rdlink,

I know people affected by the outsourcing…

How do you compete when your competition is more than happy making $400 a month.

That’s not competing.

I don’t know what you do for a living, but if you were to work for a major corporation, and (your company) can teach someone in another country to do your job for 1/4 or less the pay, how’s that going to affect your livelihood?  Or your ability to search for work?

Cost of living is lower in these other countries, so it’s not a bad thing that these people are making $500 a month, but we can’t just up and move to India or China at the drop of a hat to go work for half the salary.

They’re moving jobs out of the US, and doing almost nothing to help the people being affected by this.  The best case scenario these people have had is being on contract work to TRAIN their replacements.  And I promise you, that’s a 1 in 10 situation.  They don’t need 30 people to train 30 people.

Posted by ajservo on January 10, 2004 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

ajserv, if my company can teach someone to do my job for 1/4 of what I get paid, and can get just as good a product, more power to them. If I lose my job because of that, it’s my fault for not making myself a valuable enough commodity to keep my job.

I’ve worked every day of my life since I was 16, and I have never been out of a job. I make a very good living.  Why? I’m sure part of it is good fortune, but mostly because I work hard every day, proving my worth to my employer, providing good “product” and emphasizing customer service.  Who’s my customer?  My employer.

Bet you’d snap up a product that was just as good as the iPod if a foreign company could make it for $200 less, wouldn’t you?  No?  Take a look at your television set (s).  Made overseas, because no US companies chose to compete.  Bet you drive a Japanese car, too.

It’s a global economy, and those who choose not to compete will lose.  Want to compete with India or China? Work to bring their standard of living up.  Support democracy, and free enterprise, not socialism.

Next time you buy a cheap electronic device that was manufactured by $400 a month labor, throw a couple hundred extra bucks at the person selling it and ask them to forward it on to the workers who manufactured it.  What? Don’t want to pay $200 more? Then you’re a hypocrite.

BTW: I know people affected by outsourcing, too.  Most of them are lazy sloths, who think their job was an entitlement program.

Posted by rdlink on January 10, 2004 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >