iPod Battery FAQ | iLounge News

iPod Battery FAQ

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, December 28, 2003
News Categories: iPod

With all the incorrect and misleading information and news articles, rumors of class action lawsuits, and other ridiculousness surrounding the iPod battery, I’ve decided to start an iPod Battery FAQ.

It contains concise, correct, up-to-date information dealing with questions people may have about iPod batteries. Comments, suggestions, corrections, and updates welcome at info@ipodbatteryfaq.com.

Editor’s note: Also take a look at ‘The truth about the iPod battery and charging’ in the forums.

« Apple and iPod in Yahoo Top 2003 Searches

Crisis? What Crisis? A debate on the future of the music business »

Comments

While witty, some of the answers come across as arrogant.

But I also like the humility in there not being advertising, it being a free service, and there not being links to ipodlounge everwhere.

Thanks.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 28, 2003 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

dethbrakr,

I’m open to suggestions for changes to the FAQ. I don’t want the answers to sound arrogant, but at the same time, some of the myths and lies about the iPod’s battery, need to be dispelled. But, if you have suggestions for ways things might be reworded or presented differently, let me know.

Posted by Dave Schroeder on December 28, 2003 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

It doesn’t come across as a FAQ based around helping, so much as trying to defend Apple.  More precise information about exactly what length of charges, why it’s best to let the battery run all the way down or only partially down would be helpful.  The Battery University link isn’t detailed enough.

Posted by Chupacabra on December 28, 2003 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

I own a 3G 40 gig iPod that will not hold a charge.  I sent it back to Apple to get it repaired, they sent it back to me with a written message from their support site.  I tried my iPod following their directions and the iPod still won’t hold a charge over night.  I have charged the pod, turned it off and placed it on hold.  Let it sit overnight and it was dead in the morning.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Posted by Mark Nance on December 28, 2003 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

Do you have the alarm on?

Posted by noname in Ottawa on December 28, 2003 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

what kind of question or even solution would “Do you have the alarm on?” provide? if the alarm option is there, i would hope it would not drain the battery in the manner Mark Nancy is speaking of.

Granted, I’ve never had a battery issue before with my 3 iPods, I’m just getting a little tired of these littles tips to “maximize” battery usage. Maximize, yes, but if you don’t do them, it shouldn’t stop everyday usage of the iPod.

These options are there for a reason, and to not use them just because they use more battery power is just stupid. It’s like having it there just to not use it.

In closing, if someone is having battery problems, having the alarm on shouldn’t be the problem. Maybe the unit is defective. Yea I know I went a little nuts, but it pisses me off when people offer their solutions that make no sense.

Posted by anonymous on December 28, 2003 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

Chupacabra,

You should NOT be having that problem. Not only should the iPod hold a charge overnight, it should easily hold a charge for over a week. This is not normal, and Apple should fix it for you. For what it’s worth, one of my friends had that same problem. He got a replacement, and has been happy ever since.

Posted by Dave Schroeder on December 28, 2003 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

This has no place in a Frequently Asked Questions file (which many FAQ writers forget is the real purpose of a FAQ).

——-

Q: What’s the deal? Does Apple think the iPod is disposable?

A: No. Like all Apple products, the iPod is engineered to last. This is why Apple is consistently ranked number one in product quality and support by leading consumer groups, such as Consumer Reports.

Posted by stark23x on December 28, 2003 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Hmm, i’ve seen that question asked several times in the forum, so by definition, it DOES belong in a “Frequenty Asked Questions” list.

Posted by b.p. mcgee on December 28, 2003 at 4:33 PM (PDT)

Glad you made the FAQ, I am a happy person who’s battery has yet to stop operating after more than 18 months of ownership

Posted by Xorbital on December 28, 2003 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Regarding the question about leaving an iPod on a powered dock all the time - I understand that the circuitry will no longer continue to charge the battery once it is fully charged.  However, even if all the power used is coming directly from the external supply, the battery (as with any battery) will lose charge over time.  When this happens, do the tiny re-charge cycles cause problems for battery life over the long term?

Posted by Chris on December 28, 2003 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

The only thing I’m curious about is why, oh why, didn’t Apple just go with letting us (the users) put in and replace the batteries. They should have designed the iPod to take AA batteries. There is absolutely no reason why it couldn’t. I know it was a marketing ploy, but it is still ridiculous. They should have made it so it was easy to find batteries and replace them. You could use rechargeable AAs or regular disposable AA batteries.

Posted by Ron G. on December 28, 2003 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

I understand the nature of some of the questions—it’s undoubtedly frustrating.  I even tend to find myself getting protective of my iPod when people respond with “only 8 hours?” or “$500!!!”

But I think the best option for the FAQ is to explain things completely unbiased towards Apple or the iPod.  Talk like you’ve never seen an iPod before and are coming with nothing but concrete detail—only factual stuff.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 28, 2003 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

Hrm, i was thinking if the alarm was on the ipod would ‘wake up’ in the middle of the night and possible stay on.. take it easy man, only trying to help.

Posted by noname in Ottawa on December 28, 2003 at 11:49 PM (PDT)

The FAQ is well put together and greatly needed, but I was almost waiting for a css file to load. It looks so dull :S !!

We don’t need anything over the top, not even a single image file. But some colour or style in there somewhere just ot liven it up would be nice =]

Posted by cyberhill on December 29, 2003 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

A: Because if they did either, the size of the batteries and/or the access panels and mechanisms required to access the battery would make the unit significantly larger than it is, likely by several millimeters in thickness at a minimum, and would also affect other dimensions, as well as weight.

I think this is unnecesarily defensive. I’ts ok of course to love your ipod, but to claim f.i. that the battery is nonreplacable because of the size…right now I have a small sony CD-player, the 925, works forever (60 hours or more) on two gumstick bateries, a MD-player (60 hours on a A) a Nokia 6100 very small, and all these machines are very very compact and do have replacable batteries.
No matter how advanced the Ipod is compared to other HD-players, there are still imperfections, and the should not be glossed over but given attention.

The battery not being replacable has two big disavantages:
1) I listen to portables as much as 4-5 hours a day, which means that if I would use an Ipod I have to recharge daily.
Since Li-ion batteries can be discharged 300-500 times, for me an Ipod would last 1-1.5 years; after that, a large bill and my unit away for days.
2) A long trip without powering up possibilities, like a planejourney, and I just pop in new batteries in my MD/CP-player.
With the Ipod it’s either silence, or carry along backpacks with 4 or even 8 AA, giving you a portable with prehistoric weight

I love the Ipod, listened to it a lot, fantastic!
However these two points are the reason I’ve not yet bought one for me myself. Not even a bigger battery will make me order one, but make one with replacb le batteries and my order goes out the same minute; one ipod, one or two spare batteries, one battery recharger, don’t care about the cost, and I’ll give my other portables away. Promise!

Posted by dura on December 29, 2003 at 1:09 AM (PDT)

Ron G,

That is addressed in the FAQ. And it really is true: the iPod would be significantly larger if it took standard form factor batteries, like AA. Look at the Archos! I know many people will think “No, if Apple really wanted to, they could have used AA and still made it small.” But no, that’s not true at all. A big reason the iPod is so desirable is *because of* its size. Other manufacturers are using integrated batteries in exactly the same way for exactly the same reasons (like the Dell DJ). Also, the whole thing about replacing batteries is not even that big an issue: most people will never need the battery replaced, and those that do have many options.

Posted by Dave Schroeder on December 29, 2003 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

Not to mention the fact that over time, you’d end up spending hundreds of $$ on batteries.  Have you bought a pack of AA Duracell batteries lately?  They ain’t cheap.

Posted by TommyT on December 29, 2003 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

i dont know the specifics, but to spin a hard drive and do other things on a long charge than 8 hours, i think the ipod would probably need more than 2 double A’s, and at which point, the iPod would be no better than those other players the size of a small car.

you keep that in mind with the fact that if you were to constantly pump in new batteries all the time, that would may cost around the same price as replacing the current battery in the iPod.

i personally don’t like to carry spare batteries around which is why i stopped with the cd players. and to request that apple make a player that needs batteries the size of a deck of cards is like asking them to pack a car engine into a motorcycle.

Posted by anonymous on December 29, 2003 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

If you want to use batteries buy a belkin battery pack and stick it to the back of your ipod.

Posted by keebie on December 29, 2003 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >