iPod Battery FAQ | iLounge News

iPod Battery FAQ

With all the incorrect and misleading information and news articles, rumors of class action lawsuits, and other ridiculousness surrounding the iPod battery, I’ve decided to start an iPod Battery FAQ.

It contains concise, correct, up-to-date information dealing with questions people may have about iPod batteries. Comments, suggestions, corrections, and updates welcome at [email protected].

Editor’s note: Also take a look at ‘The truth about the iPod battery and charging’ in the forums.

« Apple and iPod in Yahoo Top 2003 Searches

Crisis? What Crisis? A debate on the future of the music business »

Comments

Mr Bomb,

re: when it comes to reviews, there’s C|Net, and then there’s reality…

I take it then that the C|Net review of the iPod, which is rated even higher than the Dell DJ, should be ignored too ?

Posted by binky on December 30, 2003 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

binky: Clearly.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 30, 2003 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

While the FAQ is a good idea, it comes off as over-the-top protective of Apple and biased from the beginning.

There are REAL, VALID concerns about the battery life of a $500 disposable playyer—which you basically dismiss in order to get back to your Apple-praising.

I’m still waiting for someone to create a useful, unbiased FAQ… hmm, maybe I will if I get the chance.

Posted by Raven on December 30, 2003 at 11:38 PM (PDT)

“...concerns about the battery life of a $500 disposable player…”

Disposable? Who ever said it was disposable? (Oh. You just did.)

Look, most iPods aren’t “$500” and it only costs $49 for a new battery - or $99 if you’re too lazy to install it yourself. Talk about biased!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 31, 2003 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

The bottom line is it shouldn’t cost more than five dollars to replace the battery, and the user should easily be able to do it themselves. AAs would have done that, and the user could have had a choice: rechargeable AAs or disposable AAs.

Posted by Ron G. on December 31, 2003 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

My wife and I both got ipods last month and both seem to have the same problem. When you plug them in to charge, they charge for an hour or two, and the display reads “charged,” but they aren’t. You have to keep unplugging them and replugging them in every few hours to truly get them to charge up. Has anyone encountered this before?

Posted by David Birzon on January 20, 2004 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

I just bought a new iPod. Recent “news” about the battery of an iPod is making me nervous. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea that there will be iPod battery support in Malaysia or even Asia?

Posted by Leon on January 22, 2004 at 3:36 AM (PDT)

FAO Dave Schroeder,
Dave I have read your comments regarding the ipod and it seems you put up a good argument for the Apple company.  (How much are they paying you!! wink ok just a joke dont take it too bad….So;

Just a quick question regarding the warrenty/guarnantee with the ipod. Someone said previously on a comment that if the ipod is below 50% of its battery before 1 year then you are covered for a new one???

Well the way I see it is. I use my 40GB ipod regulary for songs and also as a portable hard-drive. So at the end of the day I use it a lot. I would have to charge it every day. So I guess (being optimistic) if 500 is the max number of recycle times before it runs out then once you charge it 250 times you should be at half your battery capacity.

So to cut to the chase if you charge it every day (like most people have to do) , which would equal 250 days of the year (Leaving some to spare) then a lot of people will have a case against apple for a new ipod under the 1 year warrenty….

Can you please comment on this

Cheers

Stevo

Posted by Stevo on February 6, 2004 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

Ignore the sign that says charged after only one hour. You have to charge it for three more. Then unplug it. It only charges 80% in the first hour. As you play with it after charging it for four hours, the meter should begin to go up to reflect the fact that it is now fully charged. I had to figure this out.

Posted by Ron G. on February 9, 2004 at 1:56 AM (PDT)

I Had an Ipod for Christmas 2003. After going jogging for 40 minutes of an Evening and 40 minutes the next day the battery went flat (more than once). Took it in to an Apple service centre and they tested it saying the battery wasn’t lasting 8 hours but was still OK.

I asked them how they tested the battery. They said they fully charged it then set it to play until it went flat.

I was expecting a more technical approach in terms of some sort of battery tester / meter that could be plugged in to analyse the battery.

Now I have a you say / I say arguement on my hands. Also the test centre said if they can’t pick up the same problem then it can’t be covered by the warranty.

My question therefore is can a Li Ion battery be analysed by some sort of machine and can anyone advise me the best course of action to take next?

I am in Australia.

Posted by Andy Duck on February 16, 2004 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Hey Andy,

G’day, unfortunately I dont know a way of testing this stupid battery that everyone seems to be having problems with. To be honest Apple knew everything about this battery in the design and process plan of the Ipod. They were just trying to come up with something in order to get more money from the Ipod sales. I have to say that my 40GB IPOD is great but the batterey is just a joke, and Apple are having a great laugh at everyones expense $. I see they tested your IPOD by playing it, that really does not suprise me how they tested it.

At the end of the day Apple has aestically fooled everyone with their nice new Ipod while lurking underneath is a battery that couldnt power the ‘duracell bunny’ for more than an hour…

I will know for the future never to trust these people again…

I am an engineer, so I suppose there would be some way of testing the battery as there is with most, so good luck in your quest..

Dont hold your breath!!!!!!

Stevo

Posted by Stevo on February 21, 2004 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

If my IPod sits for two or three days, without using it, the battery is completly dead. Is this normal?

Posted by Gary Lukehart on July 27, 2004 at 6:39 AM (PDT)

i have a 20Gb 3G ipod i have gad it since May abd has been fine until recently the ipod discharges itself over night. Even if the battery is full before i go to bed when i wake up its dead. Im also having problems connecting to my pc with the firewire cable. It seems to charge the ipod but wont reconise it. My usb works fine but its very slow as it is only usb1 not 2.0. if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix either of these problems please conntact me by email or on here at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
cheers Mark

Posted by mark paterson on September 4, 2004 at 1:38 AM (PDT)

I have a 20 gig click wheel ipod that’s basically brand new. I noticed almost immediately that the battery doesn’t hold a charge sometimes. I’ll charge it overnight, and wake up, turn it on, and it’s DEAD. I sent it in for service, and Apple just informed me it would be $255 to fix, because there is a tiny “ding” on the back cover. I never dropped the unit, the ding is from daily use. I find it very hard to beleive that this could be tha cause of the battery not charging correctly. I think Apple looks for any and every possible way to get out of honering the warranty. Has anyone had any experiences like this?

Posted by ncoutroulis on December 5, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

My battery is acting crazy! I will charge it for hours and hours (sometimes days) and it will run out of battery within the first song. My ipod is my LIFE! I need help! When i mentioned this to my friend she said hers had the same problem and they gave her a new one at the apple store. Is this true? WIll they do this??? please write back! ~Olivipod

Posted by olivipod on November 7, 2005 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3