iPod battery settlement finalized | iLounge News

iPod battery settlement finalized

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, December 26, 2005
News Categories: iPod

The settlement to the iPod battery class-action lawsuit—which was approved by a judge in August and then appealed in November—has finally been made official.

“On December 20, 2005, the appeal filed by individual objectors to the Settlement was dismissed and the Settlement is now Final,” a note on the settlement’s official website says. “This means Apple and the Settlement Administrator can move forward with claims administration and claims fulfillment.”

The website notes that claim submission deadlines have not changed. Affected third-generation iPod owners must send in their claim form within two years of the original product purchase date. The deadline for submitting first- and second-generation iPod claims expired on September 30, 2005.

« Mix: Video albums, Greatest gadgets, Samsung-Sony, Hillary Clinton

Record companies investigated over digital music pricing »

Comments

I have used windows based PC’s for about 6yrs, & have always defended Unix based PC’s, However, after buying about $1000 Australian worth of I-pod’s for my 6 children for Christmas, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER apple product in my lifetime. Your software, sir, is the only product i have ever used, that makes Windows look like the greatest O.S. on the planet. I have built & maintain a number of P.C’s on my home network. I use multiple networked based Windows P.C’s in an industrial climate everyday. I am considered by my peers to be very computer literate. I have NEVER had a Windows problem that nneded to be sourced externally. Your I-pod software on the other hand, strikes me as something simply based to generate income from I-Tunes. Basicly, it is not really Windows compatable, & as such, is not fit for purpose. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO RELEASE THIS PRODUCT TO THE UNEDUCATED & UNSUSPECTING COMMUNITY. Your software causes inherant & uncontrollable crashes in Windows, This is TOTALLY unacceptable. I bet you do not send a reply!!!!!!!!!!! Because we all know, THE TRUTH HURTS.

Posted by P. Calvert on December 27, 2005 at 2:57 AM (PDT)

lol! :D

Posted by slartibardfast on December 27, 2005 at 3:12 AM (PDT)

I think P. Calvert must be under the misunderstanding that he (she) just emailed Apple.

Posted by Gary on December 27, 2005 at 3:12 AM (PDT)

Humm, “never had a Windows problem that nneded to be sourced externally”. I have never had a problem with Apple products, let alone iTunes. I have had a ‘few’ more with Windows. And the truth hurts that you arn’t emailing Apple. Call me sceptical, but he/she probably bought creative players and wondered why iTunes didnt work, or he/she could not understand a logical user interface from years of Windows. Give pity where pity is due…

Posted by Peter Harding on December 27, 2005 at 5:40 AM (PDT)

I don’t understand the first post. I have never had a single problem with iTunes for Windows. Just with Windows.

Posted by Chris on December 27, 2005 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Hang on, in addendum to my above post:

“Not Windows compatible”

Buy a Mac!

Posted by Chris on December 27, 2005 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

in regards to P. Calvert: I find it difficult to give any credibility to someone who makes such obvious spelling errors such as “basicly” and “compatable”.

Posted by Jing on December 27, 2005 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

What I want to know is: when will I get my check? Some time before Jan. 10th would opportune.

Posted by Gary on December 27, 2005 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

no kidding. show me the money. mama wants a nano for snowboarding… hahaha. spoiled.

Posted by Puck in washington dc on December 27, 2005 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

I think I made a claim for this a while ago.  how much do we get?

Posted by OMGWTFSTFU on December 27, 2005 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

It depends on which generation iPod you have.  3G get one additional warranty year covering only the battery.  1G and 2G get either $25 or a $50 Apple store credit. But if you’ve already had the battery replaced or repaired, your recovery will be either half of the cost of the repair or, if covered under AppleCare, $25.

Of course, the lawyers will get almost $2.8M and each class representative will get $1,500 in cash.  Nice work if you can get it.

Posted by nino on December 27, 2005 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

Bottom-feeding lawyers get $2.8 million in cash. Nearly everyone else gets a lovely paper coupon worth a discount of $25 or $50.  What a racket.

Posted by Obadiah on December 27, 2005 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

So if I already replaced my 3G battery myself, I get nothing?!

Posted by klwdallas in Dallas, TX on December 28, 2005 at 3:01 AM (PDT)

I’m guessing the claims are only for US citizens? I bought my Ipod in the UK but am living in Australia… Guess my 1hour play life Ipod is not elligible for a battery replacement… :(

(I got a 5G for xmas anyway but I was pissed off that I ended up traveling the last 5 weeks with a piece of white brick and no music…)

Posted by dave on December 28, 2005 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

WTH, I got a 3G Ipod for 3 years and I never had problems with it. I used mine in Windows and Mac and never had a problem. I only notice that the Windows ver itune isn’t that mac ipod friendly. Now it serves as my music player for my home entainment system. Is this suit about the 8 hours battery life vs the new (well old now) 16 hour battery.

I bet the first comment guy tried to mod the ipod software and mess it up and didn;t know how to fix it. I hate people that have luck putting a windows machine together and think their tech experts and can mod and change anything.

You can buy replacement batteries at macsale.com…plus to extend your battery life, don’t leave your ipod charging 24/7. That will decrease the charge over time. Once charged up. Disconnect it and let it run nearly down till you charge it up again. Just like a wireless phone.

Posted by Alberto on December 28, 2005 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

klwdallas: Looks like you get diddly.

dave: you have to reside in the US and have bought a 1G, 2G, or 3G iPod before May 31, 2004

Posted by nino on December 28, 2005 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

klwdallas -
This was cut/pasted from the class action lawsuit web page:

Compensation for Class Members Who Already Paid for Battery Replacement
        If you are a Class Member who purchased or obtained a new First, Second, or Third Generation iPod on or before May 31, 2004 that experienced a Battery Failure within two years of purchase and paid for service for that iPod under the Battery Replacement Program before June 3, 2005, and you submit a valid claim, you will be mailed a check for 50 percent (50%) of the amount you paid for the battery or iPod replacement (exclusive of any shipping and sales tax charged).

Posted by ETrain on December 28, 2005 at 11:43 PM (PDT)

“Your I-pod software on the other hand, strikes me as something simply based to generate income from I-Tunes.”

Duh…

Posted by vox on December 29, 2005 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

When and how do I get the coupons?

How do I know I am listed btw? (I have submitted in time)

Posted by seunghan nam on January 15, 2006 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

What about canadian residents??

Posted by mike on March 7, 2006 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >