iPod Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Early Next Year | iLounge News

iPod Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Early Next Year

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, October 30, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

ExtremeTech has revealed that XtremeMac will be releasing a Bluetooth adapter which will allow the iPod to “stream music from the player – or any music source – to portable speakers, headphones, a home stereo, or even a car” early next year.

“The technology and the circuit boards are provided by a company called Infinite Range. They’ve spent the past few years taking Bluetooth wireless and applying it to music. The company has developed RangeScan, Bluetooth audio technology that will let any hardware developer send audio from one device to another wirelessly. And as I learned in that parking lot, it really works.”

ยซ 40GB iPod for $419 today only

New Burton iPod jackets and backpack ยป

Comments

HAH! I knew it was possible for the iPod to utilize bluetooth. Way to go! iPod is the greatest device ever.

It’s only time until other accessories will be refined. I have hope now for a really advanced wireless remote, wireless data transfer….etc. I’m excited.

Posted by ILoveMusic on October 30, 2003 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

Guess what?  A lot of devices can make use of bluetooth with the right adapter.  The title here is misleading because this announcement is about a bluetooth ipod adapter rather than a bluetooth ipod.

Posted by Albert on October 30, 2003 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

its just kick ### all around. This is going to be great

Posted by Ed on October 30, 2003 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

I just cancelled my Itrip order that I placed in June and still have not received.  I couldn’t justify waiting this long and paying $40 to transmit over FM radio when I can wait a few more months to get bluetooth.  Even if it’s delayed, it should be worth it.  I’ve received 3 emails from Griffin telling me it’s on the way….still nothing.  Just more annoyed with them than anxious about this….O well. Done rambling.

Posted by Gomez on October 30, 2003 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

The iTrip sucks anyway.  I’m sending mine back on Saturday, and will wait to buy the bluetooth adapter.

Posted by kevinmoore73 on October 30, 2003 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

where are the bluetooth headphones??

Posted by murph on October 30, 2003 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I ordered my iTrip in july and they told me it would arrive in three weeks since they announced it has started shipping. 2 months later? Its hasnt arrived. I hope XtremeMac kicks Griffins butt

Posted by hahaa on October 31, 2003 at 2:42 AM (PDT)

this isnt saying its enabling the ‘bluetooth’ part of the ipod, as there isnt one. meaning you wont be able to transfer data wirelessly, it says; “iPod to stream music from the player – or any music source”. it only transmits audio bluetooth. i dont know much about bluetooth so i MAY be wrong, but you’ll have to wait for a completely different bluetooth adapter (im guessing this one plugs ontop, and not on the firewire port, from what theyre saying)

Posted by silver_haze20 on October 31, 2003 at 2:53 AM (PDT)

Murph,
just an FYI if your interested…..When I cancelled, they offered to get it out to me immediately.  I declined, but you may want to give them a call, they will ship it next week if you want.

Posted by Gomez on October 31, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Thats what i did. And they said they would ship it next week for me. Lol

Posted by hahaa on October 31, 2003 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

The toyota Prius has bluetooth technology.  Hopefully this means that cars will automatically, wirelessly play your music?  that would be awesome

Posted by lou on December 7, 2003 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

Call Griffin and complain. I did on Monday and had my iTrip in-hand on Friday.

Posted by OmniApple on December 8, 2003 at 4:14 AM (PDT)